U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2017, 02:03 PM

6 posts, read 3,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
My word, I have never seen so many grasshoppers in 33 years of living here (southern NJ). As I walk through my yard, they fly/jump up in front of me by the dozen. Mowing the lawn got interesting, too! A large adult jumped up on my neck as I was mowing the lawn this morning. Yuck.

Anyone else seeing a lot of grasshoppers? I wonder what it is about this year that has made them so plentiful.
I was actually just talking about grasshoppers and lightning bugs. Used to see both all the time on Long Island and haven't seen any in years.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 09:47 PM

3,126 posts, read 1,460,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushPastParalysis View Post
I was actually just talking about grasshoppers and lightning bugs. Used to see both all the time on Long Island and haven't seen any in years.
Want to borrow a few of my grasshoppers? Huh? I'll mail you a couple. Heck, I'll mail you a dozen if you want 'em. They are still quite plentiful here and seem enchanted by my tomato plants. I can't figure out if they eat the plants (all my tomatoes are less-than-happy this year) or they just like hanging out in the tomato plant jungle.

We see quite a few lightning bugs here, too. I love to watch them on an inky black night.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:55 PM

1,259 posts, read 338,914 times
Well, I'm finally seeing some here now that they claim summer is going to be over. And they are MONSTERS. They're literally the biggest grasshoppers I've ever seen, bigger than the few poor mantises I'm finally seeing.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:18 PM

250 posts, read 109,883 times
Yes!!! Tons of grasshoppers in SW Wyoming. Just walking down the road near the field I feel like the grasshopper queen because several are hopping or flying all around me. And some of them are so flipping loud, they sound like tazers! Now we're new to Wyoming so I don't know if this grasshopper swarm is normal or not, but it sure as been crazy to us!

Old 09-12-2017, 06:09 PM

3,468 posts, read 1,489,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
Yes!!! Tons of grasshoppers in SW Wyoming. Just walking down the road near the field I feel like the grasshopper queen because several are hopping or flying all around me. And some of them are so flipping loud, they sound like tazers! Now we're new to Wyoming so I don't know if this grasshopper swarm is normal or not, but it sure as been crazy to us!
Yes. Southern Alberta has grasshoppers similar to maybe fifty or sixty years ago. Take a step in long grass, and they poof up. They sit still for photographs. Interesting critters - delicacy in some places.

What are the long white spikes on either side? Are they part of the wings?
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone seeing a lot of grasshoppers this year?-grasshopper2.jpg   Anyone seeing a lot of grasshoppers this year?-grasshopperplan.jpg  

Old 09-12-2017, 09:37 PM

3,126 posts, read 1,460,328 times
We still have plenty of them. A giant adult leapt out of a tomato plant today, while I was picking a tomato. Scared the daylights out of me. And a younger one was hopping all over my chrysanthemums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden