U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 05:00 PM

11,867 posts, read 15,791,886 times

Advertisements

my husband will investigate this talstarp stuff because we have had a bad infestation of fire ants. I don't want to kill the bees though .will this kill the bees .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 07:47 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,394,919 times
Cyper WP is a water suspended powder that I use (with great success) to get rid of spiders (widows are all over the place around here - except on my premises). In the process, I've noticed I've never seen an ant anywhere around my house or yard. My place is the only one around that doesn't have pesty ants. This stuff is a relatively benign permethrin. Just keep it away from honeybees (i.e., flowers). They're very sensitive to it.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:41 PM

1,503 posts, read 456,851 times
My favorite ant bait is borax (from the laundry aisle) mixed with sugar and water. The ants take it home and are poisoned; live ants eat the dead ones and are poisoned. For protein-eating ants, I've mixed borax or boric acid powder (they're related somehow) with peanut butter. They don't like old, rancid peanut butter, so use the good stuff. Doesn't have to be all-organic, GMO free, no salt or sugar added; Jif works fine.

But our local ant-sperts say ants figure out when something is poisonous, and avoid it. Their "memory" of such things lasts a few weeks, so you have to alternate baits.

Old 08-23-2017, 11:22 AM
Status: "those denying the robot threat are probably robots too" (set 26 days ago)

18,498 posts, read 17,939,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. The bites are still quite itchy. Yesterday, I was weeding another raised bed and I looked down and saw the same type of ants swarming over my legs! It looked like something out of a science fiction movie. Thank goodness I always wear long pants tucked into socks when I work outdoors, so the little biters didn't get a chance to bite my legs. It took a lot of swatting and shaking to get them all off. Now that I think about it, if any of my neighbors saw me, it must have looked quite strange!

may be too late for your bites, but I was trying a variety of oinments on my ant bites recently until Mrs G gave me a tube of Melagel by Melaleuca and available on Amazon & eBay...provided immediate relief and the welts started disappearing within 24 hours.

https://www.melaleuca.com/ProductStore/Product?sku=3847

Old 08-23-2017, 11:26 AM

2,374 posts, read 1,211,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
my husband will investigate this talstarp stuff because we have had a bad infestation of fire ants. I don't want to kill the bees though .will this kill the bees .

It is used as a soaker. I guess what I mean is you add a pre-measured amount of Talstar to a gallon of water, and then pour it down the ant nest. We have butterfly gardens, and the bees still keep buzzing around, although I will say she never uses the stuff within a 30 foot radius of the butterfly gardens.

Make no mistake, this is a poison, it is a nerve agent. I have used it and when it hits the ants, you can see they 'dance' around all confused, and then incoherently perish. It's ugly, but they do die. If you pour enough down the ant hole, you will kill the entire colony, including the Queen. I would think as long as the bees
aren't ground dwellers, they would be OK.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:01 PM

11,867 posts, read 15,791,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
It is used as a soaker. I guess what I mean is you add a pre-measured amount of Talstar to a gallon of water, and then pour it down the ant nest. We have butterfly gardens, and the bees still keep buzzing around, although I will say she never uses the stuff within a 30 foot radius of the butterfly gardens.

Make no mistake, this is a poison, it is a nerve agent. I have used it and when it hits the ants, you can see they 'dance' around all confused, and then incoherently perish. It's ugly, but they do die. If you pour enough down the ant hole, you will kill the entire colony, including the Queen. I would think as long as the bees
aren't ground dwellers, they would be OK.

thank you terra this is very important to me because I have 4 flower gardens one of which I just converted and cleaned out to put lettuce in . yeah fresh lettuce again

Old 08-24-2017, 05:32 AM

2,374 posts, read 1,211,014 times
Ms. Phonelady, I would not use Talstar anywhere near a food source crop, which I think you most likely gathered by my last post.
And I am so envious! I can't grow lettuce for at least another 3 months! Lucky you.

But hey, I can boast of some lovely tomatoes

Old 08-24-2017, 08:04 AM

3,126 posts, read 1,460,328 times
One week later, the dang ant bites are still red and ugly, but fading and less itchy. TG they didn't get my legs, too!

Old 08-27-2017, 09:27 AM

30,566 posts, read 38,126,375 times
Our are fire ants, so we always put down poison when we see the hills. It's not so much the bite, it's that they itch like the dickens. I use benedryl gel on the sting for a couple of days and it helps with the itching.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:59 AM

3,126 posts, read 1,460,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callingMe View Post
newbie here. My last post wasn't posted. Please let me check if this one will work.
Yep, it posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden