U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 08:56 PM
Status: "JJ Watt is my new hero. And I don't even watch football." (set 3 days ago)

862 posts, read 611,341 times

Advertisements

My husband grew up in rural Oregon, the son of a logger. He has used a chainsaw since he was a child. He has one now that he uses to cut up felled trees on our property. And we use it when we go to cut our 7' tree at the Christmas tree farm.

When it comes to falling a dead tree, he hires a professional. Taking down a tree of any significant size is not for amateurs, let alone beginners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 11:37 PM

1,025 posts, read 276,638 times
Aw, you scared the OP off.
as I imagine it, his son might be quite good with a chainsaw and is coming for a visit; the OP wants to put him to work, and needs all the tools ready.

If that IS the case, I would say "ask your son what to get".

I do have a chainsaw, but only use it for small trees and bushes. It's a jungle out there.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:52 AM

11,040 posts, read 8,216,288 times
I have a gas saw for trees and an electric pole-saw for limbing.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:22 AM

23,353 posts, read 44,569,984 times
I have several...

My go to saw and the one I keep on the truck is a small gasoline Echo Top Handle Model... darn fine saw and never an issue and doesn't make a mess in the truck.

I have two larger Stihl saws for firewood and larger trees... both nice saws but wouldn't need for home use.

Also bought a Stihl 120 volt plug in electric that is also a fine saw... needed to have a quiet saw and still capable.

The problem with Battery Power is the likelihood the batteries will simply go bad sitting on the shelf... and they are not cheap...

If I only had one saw it would be the $300 CS-303T-14 Echo Chain Saw Top Handle 14" Bar 30.1cc Engine and yes... I have cut through 30" tree that fell and blocked the road with it...

Old 08-28-2017, 04:08 AM

643 posts, read 217,612 times
For the suburban homeowner who only needs a chainsaw occasionally, an electric is convenient and no need to mess with oiling, fueling, repairing after you left it stored with gas in it, etc.

But what do you do when you need it to clean up after a bad storm and there's no power?

Old 08-28-2017, 06:42 AM

10,138 posts, read 8,477,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
For the suburban homeowner who only needs a chainsaw occasionally, an electric is convenient and no need to mess with oiling, fueling, repairing after you left it stored with gas in it, etc.

But what do you do when you need it to clean up after a bad storm and there's no power?
That is where gas saws shine. When I was selling firewood I would drop the tree, remove the branches, skid it away form the branches, then cut it and hand split it right there. Many people do not count all the times they physically move the logs. They always say that wood heats you in more than one way, the more you carry logs, the hotter you get.

The electrics don't have the power and I would get the cords tangled in the branches. Besides, if you have to play with a generator motor, why not just use the gas saw? But, if you own a very small property and small trees; then the electric might be the saw for you.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:24 PM

3,694 posts, read 2,201,364 times
Too old to mess with the gas-powered Stihls, so they just rot away in the garage. I do have a Lithium battery-powered 40V Oregon for small stuff. Automatic sharpener is nice, and overall I've been happy with it.

For the big jobs these days, I call the pros.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:50 PM

1,518 posts, read 627,634 times
14" Shindaiwa/Echo. I have have use 3 nearly 40 years. The first 2 still work, they are just older and vibrate more than newer
2016 unit @<$200. Also it just didn't pay out to get a new chain, bar, and gear for even a unit thats just 5 years old.
Shindaiwa/Echo is the choice for deforesters around the globe .

Old 08-28-2017, 01:54 PM
Status: "Achilles is in your alleyway, he doesn't want me here" (set 16 days ago)

17,977 posts, read 17,388,379 times
I started with a little McCulloch that was my dad's and while it was a breeze to operate, I kept having carburetor problems and gave up trying to keep it running. I've had an 18" Poulan for about 20 years and while it was a pain to start at first, I've figured the specific starting technique and it starts every time now with relative ease, winter or summer. Keep a well sharpened supply of chains and have never had any service work done. Get's used a lot keeping a large amount of bon-fire wood and taking care of the occasional storm damaged trees. Never participate in the "drain-the-gas" religion and don't seem to have any issues with it or any of my gas tools.

Did fork out a lot of cash for a 24" Husqvarna with a 36" optional bar and chain for a particularly large tree limb that was lost a few years back. It started with ease with the unloader feature but it weighed a ton and could only be used for short stretches at a time. Eventually sold it for close to what I paid for it.

Also have a cheap (Remington?) electric pole chain saw that gets used occasionally, but it doesn't have nearly the guts to tackle much beyond a 6" limb.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:09 PM

1,518 posts, read 627,634 times
BTW, I'd recommend a set of chaps, ear protection, eye protection, and any overhead work a hard hat.
I've ruined a comfortable jeans and almost my left leg (my first and only nick in 40 years)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden