U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 08:52 AM

20,678 posts, read 25,575,971 times

Advertisements

it is interesting to see the responses. i first bought a black and decker battery and then got a worx plug in (304.1). i have yet to use a gas chainsaw. i am curious about the power difference. im going to borrow a gas and see how that goes. i have a lot of trees of varying sizes that i am cutting around my property to clear it out. the worx can fell any of the trees really but it does take a while cutting it down into smaller pieces to remove. for the money, that worx seems like a no brainer. 100 bucks and really easy to use (plus the extension cord).

the battery powered one is fine for stuff that is 3-4 inches or less. its pretty limited if you want to do more than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 11:07 AM

303 posts, read 160,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
it is interesting to see the responses. i first bought a black and decker battery and then got a worx plug in (304.1). i have yet to use a gas chainsaw. i am curious about the power difference. im going to borrow a gas and see how that goes. i have a lot of trees of varying sizes that i am cutting around my property to clear it out. the worx can fell any of the trees really but it does take a while cutting it down into smaller pieces to remove. for the money, that worx seems like a no brainer. 100 bucks and really easy to use (plus the extension cord).

the battery powered one is fine for stuff that is 3-4 inches or less. its pretty limited if you want to do more than that.
No comparison between a good gas powered chan saw like a Stihl or Husqvarna compared to the best battery operated saw. Like comparing apples to oranges however they both have there place and advantages.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:10 PM

302 posts, read 92,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Actually they never got back to us. Their son could have experience; which we doubt because they asked which kind to buy. We also do not know the age of the user. Hopefully they will get back and answer our questions. Yes; none of us want to see somebody hurt. I have sharpened chains for two customers that had accidents: One had forty stitches and one had almost sixty and it could have been worse. I always prided myself on how sharp I can sharpen one's chain. They are very dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. You can cut yourself pretty good just handling a new chain for your saw if you are not careful.

The saw is for cutting some part of the branches of two Magnolia trees that are robbing our plants from the sun. My grandson is 31 years old, and has cut the branches before with a saw we have that does not cut as well.

We also have a tree stump cut down in the ground about 8 feet long, with a diameter of about 7 to 8 inches that needs to be cut to dispose of it.

We appreciate all of your concerns, and are as worried as some of you are of the consequences, and take all precautions necessary to avoid a mishap.

All of you have been extraordinarily helpful with your information and concerns, and we appreciate it greatly.....Again, our sincere thanks to all.....

Old 09-04-2017, 05:30 AM

10,288 posts, read 8,574,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
The saw is for cutting some part of the branches of two Magnolia trees that are robbing our plants from the sun. My grandson is 31 years old, and has cut the branches before with a saw we have that does not cut as well.

We also have a tree stump cut down in the ground about 8 feet long, with a diameter of about 7 to 8 inches that needs to be cut to dispose of it.

We appreciate all of your concerns, and are as worried as some of you are of the consequences, and take all precautions necessary to avoid a mishap.

All of you have been extraordinarily helpful with your information and concerns, and we appreciate it greatly.....Again, our sincere thanks to all.....
In that case Tractor Supply has one sale on now: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...8+in.+Chainsaw. That is for a gas saw. Ace has a sale on an electric and I am sure that you will find other Labor Day sales at a lot of other stores. Good shopping and cut safe!

Old 09-06-2017, 11:43 AM

20,678 posts, read 25,575,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
No comparison between a good gas powered chan saw like a Stihl or Husqvarna compared to the best battery operated saw. Like comparing apples to oranges however they both have there place and advantages.
there is always a comparison. have you used a plug in electric and a gas powered chainsaw?

Old 09-06-2017, 11:53 AM

23,456 posts, read 44,820,915 times
If it is just an occasional limb it would be hard to go wrong with a simple bow saw... depending on species and how green these cheap hand saws cut very well...

Old 09-06-2017, 12:31 PM

4,705 posts, read 2,739,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
If you hit a rock or nail it is better to grind your chain. It simply takes too long to file it out. I have the chainsaw grinder and I use to sharpen the chains when I had my shop. I also sold firewood at one time and I have cut hundreds of cords of wood in my lifetime. When cutting firewood I would sharpen my chains about two times with the file while in the woods. Then I would put them on my grinder to reset the angle and make the teeth uniform again.

As far as ethanol or leaded gas; I still use the cheapest gas available which is ethanol/gas blends available from the local stations. The leaded fuel runs about $24/gallon (if you add it up) - you are buying it in small cans. While all the manufacturers complain about the ethanol blends; they still have to make their products to run with currently available fuel.
Ethanol free is not the same as leaded. I don't know anyone who uses leaded gasoline in anything in the past couple of decades. If you meant 100% pure gasoline (ethanol-free) I would have to ask about the math.

Ethanol free gas locally is $3.05/gallon. A bottle of two cycle oil designed for 1 gallon of 50/50 mix is $2.99. That makes one gallon of 50/50 blend for the chainsaw $6.04.

1 gallon of Trufuel or similar 50/50 blend is $20+tax.

While manufacturers have made their engines work with ethanol, most still add in labels and notes stating that the use of ethanol-free is preferred if available.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:34 PM

4,705 posts, read 2,739,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post

Electric or battery don't have nearly the same power that a gas saw has..... Gas really is the way to go if you have a decent amount of work to do. I've had both, but I always go back to my gas chainsaw. Less cord to tangle in and much more maneuverability.

Old 09-06-2017, 03:06 PM

10,288 posts, read 8,574,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Ethanol free is not the same as leaded. I don't know anyone who uses leaded gasoline in anything in the past couple of decades. If you meant 100% pure gasoline (ethanol-free) I would have to ask about the math.

Ethanol free gas locally is $3.05/gallon. A bottle of two cycle oil designed for 1 gallon of 50/50 mix is $2.99. That makes one gallon of 50/50 blend for the chainsaw $6.04.

1 gallon of Trufuel or similar 50/50 blend is $20+tax.

While manufacturers have made their engines work with ethanol, most still add in labels and notes stating that the use of ethanol-free is preferred if available.
Thanks for the correction. I really do not use this fuel. I have looked at it in the stores. I have about fifteen different pieces of equipment that has small engines. I also try to keep fifteen to twenty gallons of gas around at all times. I really have not had problems with my 10% ethanol.

Old 09-06-2017, 03:44 PM

303 posts, read 160,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post

Sounds like the saw would be used infrequently or for occasional use. I would then purchase a dependable electric chain saw, battery and charger, perhaps a Worx, Greenworks or Ego and in the future you could buy the compatible blower or string trimmer since you now have a battery and charger.

If using a gas chain saw infrequently, it increases the chances of having starting or carburetor issues. Almost less expensive to rent a saw when needed, this way it will run when needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden