U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 02:36 PM

349 posts, read 114,274 times

Advertisements

What type of chain saw should i buy so my son can cut some trees? And how much power/volts? Thanking you in advance.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 02:43 PM

1,095 posts, read 309,198 times
I'd say get him a gift card to a tree removal service instead.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:47 PM

3,738 posts, read 5,292,812 times
Size of saw.....How big are the trees? Has he ever felled a tree before?
And, gas is better than electric for this sort of tool.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:11 PM

1,095 posts, read 309,198 times
Electric Chainsaws

Pros
Electric chainsaws are light and compact, so they’re not a burden to carry. They are quieter than gas chainsaws, and don’t leave the smell of gas in their wake. What’s more, when using an electric chainsaw, you don’t have to worry about mixing oil and gas. Best of all, an electric chainsaw starts with the touch of a button. Electric chainsaws are best used for sprucing up trees, trimming limbs, cutting small logs, and other cutting tasks around your home or yard.

Cons
Although electric chainsaws are smaller and easier to carry, most lack the power and stamina to cut down large trees. If you have big trees on your property that you want to remove or cut into firewood, a gas model is your best bet.

Electric chainsaws come in two types: corded and battery-powered. Lack of mobility is a drawback of corded saws. If you’re using a corded electric model, you’ll want to buy an extension cord. Even with the cord, you will be limited in how far you can go. If you need room to roam, cordless battery-powered chainsaws will do the trick. But they often lack the power of a corded chainsaw, further limiting what you can cut. That said, battery life has recently improved with higher voltage batteries.

https://www.chainsawsdirect.com/stor...Chainsaws.html

Old 08-27-2017, 03:15 PM

4,654 posts, read 3,484,347 times
This is not a starter tool. It is for removing limbs, and it does not know the difference between your son and a tree.
You should also consider:
Eye protection, goggles and shields;
Hearing protection;
Helmet;
Kevlar gloves;
Safety Vest;
Chaps;
Safety shoes.
What did I miss?
Go see youtube videos on chain saw injuries.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:16 PM

3,989 posts, read 5,115,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
What type of chain saw should i buy so my son can cut some trees? And how much power/volts? Thanking you in advance.....
My suggestion is not to buy a chainsaw from a big box store. I own a Stihl chainsaw and I recommend this chart and talking to a Stihl dealer. https://www.stihlusa.com/products/ch...omeowner-saws/ You probably want to pick a saw from the middle of this chart.

Most people should not be cutting down large trees. The death rate is very high for guys who think they can take on this kind of job. I know because I have cut down a few trees that I should not have attempted.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:49 PM

5,020 posts, read 19,555,760 times
A critical need is to keep the chain adjusted and sharpened (with any saw). Getting some use and maintenance information is important.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:59 PM

10,369 posts, read 8,783,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
How close to the house are these trees located and how big are they (what is their diameter)? Are they close to electrical lines or another's property? These are questions that should be answered before going any further in this discussion. Some trees are not worth the risk for greenhorns.

All chainsaws are dangerous; some more so than others. But all were designed to cut quick and flesh/bone is very weak compared to the wood they were designed to cut. It is actually best if your son had an experienced person showing him the ropes. Almost all of us, that have cut a lot of wood, can tell you the tale of a near miss or worse. We all started cutting some place; we just want your son 'safe'. There are many good saws; I prefer gas and I use to be a Poulan and Echo dealer.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:01 PM

313 posts, read 171,743 times
Many things to learn before using a chain saw and being mentored by one who has mastered its use in taking down trees and limbing is the best way to learn.

As others have pointed out, there are many ways to get seriously hurt either with the saw or the tree.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:04 PM

4,654 posts, read 3,484,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
A critical need is to keep the chain adjusted and sharpened (with any saw). Getting some use and maintenance information is important.
Yes, I missed that vital piece of equipment, chain sharpener. A file works if you are good with it, but you need a guide or an electric sharpener.
Isn't this the kind of tool that needs to run on alcohol free mix? So add a fuel can to the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden