Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 10:25 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,317,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Tree took a 28f degree hit so it is pretty much dead in it's tracks for now. What few flowers it had has stopped and the rest of the pods have almost all fallen off the tree. So within a month i expect the tree to start blowing up with new growth. Tree has been bare since late Aug. Long time to see a tree be bare for that long.

it's not especially typical for this tree to be leafless so early (it normally leafs out in April here after defoliating in mid to late Nov.) but it is apparently in environmental/climate conditions that are likely very different from "normal" for it to deal with. curious did you get this tree because you "heard" that it was "fast growing" with "big leaves" and "beautiful flowers" (and under the right conditions it can have all of these good qualities and also some bad like brittle branches and the ability to become a "weed" by self-seeding under those optimal conditions) and you thought it might be fun to experiment "shot in the dark" with no particular advance knowledge of it's growth/climate requirements? am asking this because once upon a time this was advertised as a "tree which grows anywhere" and in fact it does NOT---it certainly can't take very cold winters (which is why it's not grown in the Midwest), hot and dry (not grown that much in the "low" deserts) and apparently so far in your conditions (semi-tropical with---lately at least--- somewhat erratic heat and moisture patterns and seemingly VERY poor soils) are stressful and it's current condition there perhaps problematic.

FWIW, paulownia kawaikamii, p. taiwaniana, p. elongata, or p. catalpifolia are sometimes available from specialty nurseries and MAY be better adapted to your climate than the more common p. tomentosa though likely all need "good" soil to grow well even in an otherwise optimal climate--and ALSO may have problems with brittle limbs and self-seeding.

this is NOT to be snarky at all---many of us (including yours truly whose greatest fun is growing the rare, different, and supposedly un-growable trees for my area including eucalyptus from Australia and pines and oaks from Mexico) have at times had at best "mixed" results with trees even those SUPPOSEDLY "highly tolerant" of a variety of conditions in a variety of places but not apparently in mine---it's part of the garden game we all play and the lessons we learn both good and bad.

good luck to you and your plant.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 01-31-2018 at 11:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 06:23 PM

30,198 posts, read 20,922,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
it's not especially typical for this tree to be leafless so early (it normally leafs out in April here after defoliating in mid to late Nov.) but it is apparently in environmental/climate conditions that are likely very different from "normal" for it to deal with. curious did you get this tree because you "heard" that it was "fast growing" with "big leaves" and "beautiful flowers" (and under the right conditions it can have all of these good qualities and also some bad like brittle branches and the ability to become a "weed" by self-seeding under those optimal conditions) and you thought it might be fun to experiment "shot in the dark" with no particular advance knowledge of it's growth/climate requirements? am asking this because once upon a time this was advertised as a "tree which grows anywhere" and in fact it does NOT---it certainly can't take very cold winters (which is why it's not grown in the Midwest), hot and dry (not grown that much in the "low" deserts) and apparently so far in your conditions (semi-tropical with---lately at least--- somewhat erratic heat and moisture patterns and seemingly VERY poor soils) are stressful and it's current condition there perhaps problematic.

FWIW, paulownia kawaikamii, p. taiwaniana, p. elongata, or p. catalpifolia are sometimes available from specialty nurseries and MAY be better adapted to your climate than the more common p. tomentosa though likely all need "good" soil to grow well even in an otherwise optimal climate--and ALSO may have problems with brittle limbs and self-seeding.

this is NOT to be snarky at all---many of us (including yours truly whose greatest fun is growing the rare, different, and supposedly un-growable trees for my area including eucalyptus from Australia and pines and oaks from Mexico) have at times had at best "mixed" results with trees even those SUPPOSEDLY "highly tolerant" of a variety of conditions in a variety of places but not apparently in mine---it's part of the garden game we all play and the lessons we learn both good and bad.

good luck to you and your plant.
I read all the good and bad about the tree. Since i planted it last Feb, we have had some extreme weather. Super dry winter and spring last year, then somewhat dry summer, then 20" of rain in a months time in Aug and Sept along with a hurricane, then a super warm fall, Then Jan of this year was cold with a 28 one morning. Been since 2011 that we were below 32.

I say the tree will start to take off in late Feb or early March. It will just go crazy like it did last spring.

Maybe this year the leaves will stay on longer as the tree adjust.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:58 PM

Really warmed up the last 6 days. Tree should start to go crazy soon.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:23 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,350,572 times
This tree can become invasive. I'd think twice about planting.

Old 02-09-2018, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
This tree can become invasive. I'd think twice about planting.
We need some tree's in my hood. All of them have died or are about dead.

Old 02-09-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
We need some tree's in my hood. All of them have died or are about dead.
well, while there are some (relatively) LOW maintenance trees for most areas there are FEW if ANY trees that are NO maintenance so MAYBE there might be some problems with a difficult site with possible soil problems of poor nutrient levels and excessive drainage, an erratic rainfall pattern and just maybe some folks (NOT talking about you but maybe others in the "hood") not doing their "due diligence" in providing water and fertilizer to plants in stressful situations.

am also not talking about "street trees" planted and (supposedly---but sadly often not) maintained by the city but instead trees on private property that are (or should be) taken care of by the property owner.

again, have you checked out your local county extension office or a nearby botanic garden or park to see and get advice about what does well in your area and under what circumstances?

Old 02-10-2018, 05:46 AM

Quote:
well, while there are some (relatively) LOW maintenance trees for most areas there are FEW if ANY trees that are NO maintenance so MAYBE there might be some problems with a difficult site with possible soil problems of poor nutrient levels and excessive drainage, an erratic rainfall pattern and just maybe some folks (NOT talking about you but maybe others in the "hood") not doing their "due diligence" in providing water and fertilizer to plants in stressful situations.

am also not talking about "street trees" planted and (supposedly---but sadly often not) maintained by the city but instead trees on private property that are (or should be) taken care of by the property owner.

again, have you checked out your local county extension office or a nearby botanic garden or park to see and get advice about what does well in your area and under what circumstances?
All the big oaks have died. I think the one behind my house has reached it max age and has been getting worse the last 7 years. Every orange and greatfruit tree has died many years ago due to greening sickness.

We have dust for soil and once you dig down 1.5ft you hit hard lime rock. Palms seem to be the only thing that grows in my hood.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
All the big oaks have died. I think the one behind my house has reached it max age and has been getting worse the last 7 years. Every orange and greatfruit tree has died many years ago due to greening sickness.

We have dust for soil and once you dig down 1.5ft you hit hard lime rock. Palms seem to be the only thing that grows in my hood.

too bad about the plants and as mentioned before your soil is apparently a challenging growth medium at best. that said, have you contacted your county extension agent or someone else with at least some knowledge that might help you. if palms grow well then you might consider planting palms if you just want some kind of tall plant to "look up to". if your "hood" has problems with plants what about adjacent areas? there must be somebody private, commercial, or public having success growing something in your general area and if there is see what they're growing---ask them or take pictures and post them here or another internet venue and you will likely get at least names of plants to try that already have potential adaptability to your conditions. good luck.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:13 AM

Quote:
too bad about the plants and as mentioned before your soil is apparently a challenging growth medium at best. that said, have you contacted your county extension agent or someone else with at least some knowledge that might help you. if palms grow well then you might consider planting palms if you just want some kind of tall plant to "look up to". if your "hood" has problems with plants what about adjacent areas? there must be somebody private, commercial, or public having success growing something in your general area and if there is see what they're growing---ask them or take pictures and post them here or another internet venue and you will likely get at least names of plants to try that already have potential adaptability to your conditions. good luck.
I don't care for any palms other than coconut palms and i am 40 miles to far to the north. Been 80's for the last week so i expect my tree to start doing something soon with these super warm temps. We just have screwed up weather and nothing is normal anymore. Went from a cold Jan to near 90's this month so far.

As of now the tree is not doing a thing, but not dead. Soon as buds come out i will get pics and then show you guys how fast this tree will take off. I live right on the gulf so i would think this is all fill from the gulf years ago before they started building theses homes in the early 70's.

Just checked the tree this AM and i see a green bud starting to come out. Kinda dark for a pic, but will get a pic up tonite maybe.

Last edited by LKJ1988; 02-12-2018 at 06:00 AM..

Old 02-13-2018, 04:39 PM

Here is some new green just below the dead leaf. This thing is gonna take off with the warm weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden