U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 07:23 AM

2,409 posts, read 957,332 times

Advertisements

The holes may not be connected with the leaf loss, but if they are round and around 1" - 2" in diameter, they may be vole holes. Very difficult to get rid of and will eat a lot of your plant's roots as well any new bulbs you plan to plant in the fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 07:39 AM

10,288 posts, read 8,574,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
The holes may not be connected with the leaf loss, but if they are round and around 1" - 2" in diameter, they may be vole holes. Very difficult to get rid of and will eat a lot of your plant's roots as well any new bulbs you plan to plant in the fall.
Do you have a heavy lawn tractor or can you run over your ground around that shrub and over the tunnels with a vehicle? I used to have a heavy (about 1000 pound) lawn tractor that I would use as a roller going back and forth across the lawn when I encountered the holes. They do not like to be crushed. You can also buy a poison to put down the holes or traps to catch the little buggers. If you use the poison you should protect other animals that might get killed by accident - put something over it so nothing else will get at it.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:08 AM

4,141 posts, read 4,537,848 times
If you have an extensive underground warren of rodents on your property it's possible they are harvesting the forsythia leaves to line their nests and tunnels in preparation for winter. All rodents collect large amounts of plant material for their winter nests.

Two inch wide entrance holes are far too big to be made by rodents as small as mice or voles, it suggests rodents the size of rats or squirrels.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:44 AM

1,066 posts, read 970,094 times
Too bad that the OP is unable to post a picture of the area under discussion.

Old 09-04-2017, 02:54 PM

303 posts, read 160,863 times
Default Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
Too bad that the OP is unable to post a picture of the area under discussion.
I did have moles last year but was diligent in killing the grubs and I used mole bait in the tunnels and have not seen any more tunnels or traces of them since last winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Unexplainable shrub issue!-img_5415.jpg   Unexplainable shrub issue!-img_5417.jpg  

Old 09-05-2017, 09:53 AM

Do you know if you have mole crickets in your location? In those 2 pictures, the size of the holes and the deposits of powdery frass and other debris and damage around the holes all looks like the damage made by mole crickets. Mole crickets come up to the surface at night to feed on organic matter like leaves and grass. If it's mole crickets you may be able to deal with them with a simple homemade detergent flush sprayed on the ground and into their tunnels.

In any event, whatever it is and whatever else you do, I'd suggest you flood those tunnels with water.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:11 PM

303 posts, read 160,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Do you know if you have mole crickets in your location? In those 2 pictures, the size of the holes and the deposits of powdery frass and other debris and damage around the holes all looks like the damage made by mole crickets. Mole crickets come up to the surface at night to feed on organic matter like leaves and grass. If it's mole crickets you may be able to deal with them with a simple homemade detergent flush sprayed on the ground and into their tunnels.

In any event, whatever it is and whatever else you do, I'd suggest you flood those tunnels with water.

I am familiar with tunnels from voles or moles and these appear to just be dead end holes! I never heard of mole crickets but would they just attack one out of 6 shrubs and in less than a few days, all leave have vanished?

Old 09-05-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
I am familiar with tunnels from voles or moles and these appear to just be dead end holes! I never heard of mole crickets but would they just attack one out of 6 shrubs and in less than a few days, all leave have vanished?
If you have a colony of them near or under that one plant, then yes it is entirely feasible. Mole crickets come up to the surface at night to harvest leafy materials for food, which they take back down into their tunnels and then return to the surface to harvest more. You can read about their tunneling habits (both dead-end and throughway tunnels and escape routes) and eating habits here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mole_cricket

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden