U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 09:27 PM

2,633 posts, read 1,381,760 times

Advertisements

Bermuda grass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 09:32 PM

3,793 posts, read 1,398,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Bermuda grass.

Thank you. My entire lawn was 'intentionally' Bermuda! Couldn't remember the name. I just knew whenever I saw the seed thingy I was happy. I had the most beautiful lawn of Bermuda until we had an awful freeze here that killed everything, including any weeds. I was never able to recover the lawn no matter how I tried. Sad, because it was my first lawn and I worked so hard to keep it.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:40 PM

37,360 posts, read 40,935,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmspiderman View Post
Hello everybody! First time posting on Garden. I live in South Florida and I got this weed in several places of my lawn and its spreading fast. I haven't figured out what type of weed this is,my lawn is ST Augustine grass and I use Scott's Turf Builder Bonus S to control weeds but so far I have no luck killing this stubborn weed. Also search on the internet but couldn't identify it. Does anybody had encounter same weed before? Thanks in advance.
What you have is your basic nutsedge
in bloom. It's going to be a long tedious
arduous road to control/kill.
https://www.google.com/search?q=nuts...=1504579147464

How to control nutsedge...
https://www.scotts.com/en-us/library...ntrol-nutsedge

Old 09-04-2017, 09:49 PM

12 posts, read 10,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Bermuda grass.
Damn! if it is Bermuda grass then Im out of luck because if I try to get rid of it the St Agustine grass will also die in the process right?

Old 09-05-2017, 03:20 AM

135 posts, read 47,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
What you have is your basic nutsedge
in bloom. It's going to be a long tedious
arduous road to control/kill.
That's not nutsedge.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:50 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,164,577 times
Tenacity by Syngenta. Google it or look it up on Amazon. Not cheap, and at first not a lot of product, but there is a reason for why it comes with a dropper, and it will last a long time (making it much cheaper than the big box stuff that hardly works in general). Read the label, a few drops into a multi-gallon sprayer, and treat the lawn. Will absolutely wipe out the grassy weeds while saving the actual grass (but check for Bermuda lawn first). Excellent profession-grade stuff.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:24 PM
Status: "those denying the robot threat are probably robots too" (set 26 days ago)

18,501 posts, read 17,939,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
That's not nutsedge.
basically

Old 09-06-2017, 06:51 AM

5,394 posts, read 5,700,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Tenacity by Syngenta. Google it or look it up on Amazon. Not cheap, and at first not a lot of product, but there is a reason for why it comes with a dropper, and it will last a long time (making it much cheaper than the big box stuff that hardly works in general). Read the label, a few drops into a multi-gallon sprayer, and treat the lawn. Will absolutely wipe out the grassy weeds while saving the actual grass (but check for Bermuda lawn first). Excellent profession-grade stuff.
Since all grasses rely on the enzyme that Tenacity inhibits, I suggest you tread carefully and pretest under your conditions before going whole hog on the entire lawn. But if it works it sounds miraculous.

Old 09-06-2017, 01:35 PM

4,888 posts, read 5,275,742 times
It is not nutsedge, and it is not Bermuda grass. The seed stalks look like crab grass to me.....hard to tell the way the leaves are flourishing in a tight group...will look further and get back to you.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:09 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,164,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Since all grasses rely on the enzyme that Tenacity inhibits, I suggest you tread carefully and pretest under your conditions before going whole hog on the entire lawn. But if it works it sounds miraculous.
I've used it twice on mine (tall fescue) and has done wonders. I personally use it in conjunction with Drive XLR8 (crabgrass) and TZone SE (broadleaf weeds) with spectacular results. Nothing but premium tall fescue, just like I planted it to be.

But, strong stuff here, and shouldn't be used like the typical "attached to a garden hose sprayer" stuff from the big-box stores. It truly is professional grade stuff used on golf courses. If you don't have a backpack sprayer with the right spray tip (fan) and apply in the right manner (walk steadily in one direction while applying to area), then yes, you can do some damage. But if you want professional results, then apply in a professional manner and enjoy the professional compliments that will soon follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden