U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM

7,207 posts, read 6,649,834 times

Advertisements

Gas powered for me. I had some electrics that simply didn't have the power for my needs, so I craigslisted them and got gas equipment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:01 PM
BMI

4,723 posts, read 2,465,295 times
I have two electric corded Black and Decker mowers and one Toro gas mower.
Don't use the gas mower that often, though it is more powerful, also more
of a hassle to use.

Old Today, 01:49 AM

13,459 posts, read 14,673,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
I have a push reel mower, and I love it. It works perfectly for me because my front yard and back yard are neither one very large--it takes me 20 minutes to mow both of them combined. Plus, I dislike the noise made by gas and electric mowers. I always have (and having a near-accident with a gas one didn't help my feelings towards it any.) Plus, I'm an early bird--so the push reel means I can be up at the crack of dawn, mow my yards, and get on with my day. My neighbors who have power mowers have to wait until nine (and it's usually hot by then.) And I figure the push reel is good exercise, which I sorely need.
I have an electric, but when its gotten rid of all the marsh plants and tall spiny things, and its actually grass which is growing, I love to take the reel mower and go over the area. I like the way it makes it look. And the charge never wears out. But the electric is vital to get the tall marshy/prarie stuff short enough.

When we get a lot of rain, the yard takes off at warp 10, and the electric may be needed to trim it down. And I'm with you on the noise. Even the electric one I wouldn't use when people were sleeping. But what I hate are gas ones, especially the big ones. There's this high frequency sound you can't quite hear, but you can feel. It grates badly on my nerves. They also cause a slight vibration which really sets me on edge. I crank up the volume on something musical and loud and drown it out but it still just makes me tense up.

Here, if your yard gets a little high, you get batches of people offering to cut your lawn for x dollars. The one guy did okay but took forever but he used to do lawn professionally. One guy did a really lousey job, and as all we'd said was mow, he mowed, moved stuff but didn't put it back, and missed spots which he wasn't in the mood to cut. I gave him what I thought he deserved, and thankfully he did not return. I'm sure I've already made up for the cost of my new mower from the locals looking for beer money. Just in case they keep trying.

Old Today, 11:30 AM

294 posts, read 94,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Back at our hunting camp there is one old steam boiler from an old sawmill that operated in the beginning of the last century. I don't think it weights more than two or three tons? If you are up to hauling it out you would have the first part of your quiet, no cord, new mower! Not too light and I don't know about clean since it would require a lot of wood or coal?
Yes, the old steam traction engines with locomotive boilers were used to cut lawns, big lawns I suppose. But a modern steam generator is very small and light. SAAB had one (never put in production) that was the size of a car battery and produced twenty to thirty horsepower. When comparing gas engines to electric or steam, you multiply the power claimed by 40 percent. So a "5 hp" gas mower will actually use 2 horses.

Old Today, 04:04 PM

10,136 posts, read 8,471,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Ferris View Post
Yes, the old steam traction engines with locomotive boilers were used to cut lawns, big lawns I suppose. But a modern steam generator is very small and light. SAAB had one (never put in production) that was the size of a car battery and produced twenty to thirty horsepower. When comparing gas engines to electric or steam, you multiply the power claimed by 40 percent. So a "5 hp" gas mower will actually use 2 horses.
The old debate about torque compared to horsepower: Horsepower vs. Torque: What's the Difference?

If you just let Google do the walking and type in "small steam engines"; you get many to look at. I don't see any on lawnmowers - not that it could not be done. I tried to find out more about your SAAB engine and did find this: https://books.google.com/books?id=N9...engine&f=false. That would be too large for most mowers. As far as small steam engines in the Google search; most are broken down into two groups: Heavy ancient engines or small classroom engines for demonstration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden