U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2017, 10:24 AM

848 posts, read 316,860 times

Advertisements

I would like to take cuttings from a weigela to plant in my new house. I've successfully taken cuttings from this bush before, but always in the spring. Is it possible to do this in the fall as well? If so, early fall or late fall?

I also want to take a cutting from our lilac bush. I read that you can do this in the fall by cutting up a rooting stem growing near the bush. Does this sound right? Would I dig up the rotted section, dip in growth hormone and then put in potting soil? Or put it in a glass of water? Sorry to be asking newbie questions, but I'm a newbie to this sort of thing, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 12:02 PM

13,454 posts, read 5,326,010 times
Weigela, like most shrubs can be propagated by either softwood (spring) cuttings or hardwood (fall) cuttings. Softwood is faster, but hardwood is less tricky.

I know some on here will cringe, but Mike McGroarty really does offer a huge pile of info on propagation.

Just ignore the sales pitches.

Plant Propagation, The Basics

Old 09-07-2017, 04:46 PM

802 posts, read 274,452 times
You can take cuttings just about anytime once new growth has hardened off. Late fall or early winter hardwood cuttings will definitely root, they just may not take until the following spring if dormancy sets in.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:37 AM

4,365 posts, read 5,371,745 times
I always put a cloche made out of 3-liter coke bottles (cut off the round bottom) over my cuttings. You can control the amount of moisture inside with the cap. Works for me! (looks trashy) lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden