U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 12:26 PM

1,173 posts, read 451,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
If you are really concerned, wash them in the nearest laundromat or take them to a dry cleaners.
Oh, right, so somebody else can get the poison ivy..... Nice. Really nice.

Last edited by jamary1; 09-08-2017 at 12:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 12:33 PM

3,074 posts, read 2,704,817 times
Run bleach through the machine after using. Taking to laundromat not a good idea, someone else might get it and not know what they are dealing with.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:57 PM

13,447 posts, read 5,326,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
Advices online mostly say so. but i am kind of weary about doing so. there won't be any plant oil residue in my machine?
How sensitive are you?

Yes, after one load, there will probably be traces of urushiol in your washer. Those traces never caused me any problems, but they can cause problems for extremely sensitive folks. The solution is to run a couple of "empty" loads through after you wash your clothes. But if you are that sensitive, you should probably wash the affected clothing several times, and then run several empty loads.

Or just put the clothes in a plastic bag and throw them out.

Whatever you do, don't wash the contaminated clothing in a laundromat. That would be very bad karma.

Old 09-08-2017, 02:24 PM

3,023 posts, read 1,350,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I would call the poison control center. Those people are very knowledgeable and happy to provide answers. You don't want to take a chance with this.

Their phone number is usually among the emergency numbers in your telephone directory.
This question doesn't constitute an emergency. And what a telephone directory?

Old 09-08-2017, 03:52 PM

1,911 posts, read 1,074,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
They do not ridicule people. They treat their work seriously and have saved many people and animals from illness and death.
Who said anything about ridicule? I'm sure they'd be very businesslike and helpful and then have a good chuckle after they hang up.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:43 PM

1,273 posts, read 341,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
I believe your experiences, which is why vast majority if not all advice I read online says it's OK to do so. I'm just trying to reason this: sometimes I see soap residue after a wash. Why couldn't that happen to poison oak oil?
If you have soap residue, you're either using too much soap (like most people do) or too little water. They have that stuff now that you can run through to clean the machine. You could use it after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden