Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2008, 10:00 AM

311 posts, read 1,824,043 times

Advertisements

I planted a china girl holly last summer so it is still a small shrub - only about 2 feetshigh. Something has been burrowing just under my mulch and has completely stripped one side of it down to just stubs! I can't find anything on line that tells me what it could be. I thought maybe rabbits, but the trails it leaves are only a few inches wide so i think it must be something smaller? Any thoughts? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 10:04 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,754,601 times
Gopher. They'll eat roots and such.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:21 AM

311 posts, read 1,824,043 times
I thought gophers burrowed deeper though? this appears to be on the surface just under the mulch? I should also say that I am in CT and the eating seems to be happening in the overnight hours??

Old 05-15-2008, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 8,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srib View Post
I planted a china girl holly last summer so it is still a small shrub - only about 2 feetshigh. Something has been burrowing just under my mulch and has completely stripped one side of it down to just stubs! I can't find anything on line that tells me what it could be. I thought maybe rabbits, but the trails it leaves are only a few inches wide so i think it must be something smaller? Any thoughts? Thanks!
I have been having the same trouble with my holly bush. Have you found out what causes it .

Old 05-15-2008, 11:51 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,663,117 times
Maybe voles. I have planted several plants and they all just kinda died.. couldn't figure it out until I was going to remove it, and there were no roots! They ate it all. They look like moles and have tunnels, but they like to eat roots. Don't know if they actually come up and eat the outside of the plant though. That may be different.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:24 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,790,694 times
It's most likely voles or moles. They feed on grubs, but can also damage your plants. For a long-term solution, Milky Spore is the best solution as it'll rid your yard of the grubs. But you also need something short-term to get the voles that are currently there. There are a lot of animal repellents out there, but you should should look into ones specifically made for moles and voles.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 7,899 times
Default Gophers eating your garden

My tomatoes and other plants were being eaten by the roots. I found out it was gophers. Sweeney's poison peanuts and mole traps and mouse traps do NOT work. I got one by flooding the hole with a hose and my dog got it. The second one I got with Victor's Black Box Gopher trap (Website Victorpest.com). This thing is more humane than poison I think because death is quick. I love animals but this thing was eating a plant everyother day or so. While I tried the poison for 2 weeks it did not stop them. They are brown creatures about 5 inches long and 2 inches wide. Chicken wire doubled will not stop them! I was so happy to find a cure I wanted to share it. Mark the gardner in the East Mountains of New Mexico.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:47 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,822,963 times
A vole just did the same thing to my Shagbark Hickory sapling

Old 07-19-2009, 11:03 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
I've tried milky spore for grub and mole control but unless all your neighbors do the same thing it really doesn't seem to make any difference. Moles make little tunnels which are easily identifiable when you walk your property. you will feel mushy places and can stomp them (tunnels) down. Traps have worked for me. I once watched as something, prolly a mole ate the roots of a plant and actually tried to pull the plant down into the hole with him. I was furious and sliced at the tunnel with my shovel hoping I would slice him int wo. not sure it i got him but it helped my agressive temperment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden