U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 04:18 AM

287 posts, read 397,447 times
Maybe ant eggs...

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u16/gregg1971/img0022_med.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 03:09 PM

4,597 posts, read 7,391,474 times
'Anolis' is exactly what I was trying to recall! I suppose it is easy to call one a chameleon (I know they're not) simply because they change color. At the time of my post, I just couldn't think of it. I love stumbling upon the little eggs, and then checking back to see if I can spy a hatchling -- they are so cute and tiny!

These little white things in the mulch look much like ant eggs to me -- too small to be what I had supposed.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:17 PM

9,342 posts, read 16,164,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstar View Post
There are NO native species of Chameleons in ANY of the americas..Chameleons are an OLD world species of lizard.(Africa,Asia) You are thinking of Anolis carolinus. They are called Anoles and their eggs are small white and the size of pencil erasers. Typically found around the south east USa. They favor flower gardens and compost piles for egg laying.

If you have kids*, it's fun to bring them in and put them in a jar and see them hatch out- the cutest, tiniest little lizzies.....then return them outside to eat bugs.

*Its actually fun without kids, but kids provide a good excuse to do things like this!

Old 04-06-2008, 04:53 PM

10,593 posts, read 22,129,183 times
If you were here in Florida, I would say termite eggs. I had done some reading about this, that you can introduce a bunch of termites to our area by purchasing chipped wood mulch. Thats why I prefer pine straw.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:52 PM

1 posts, read 12,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desi2007 View Post
...toad stools hmm not sure ....but these white egg looking things are rubbery and had a orange tube like thing inside.... bigger then a pencil eraser on end of a pencil...more like the size of half of your thumb. At first i thought it was bird eggs but soon realized it wasnt bird eggs, it had stringy things on the end of it as if was planted in ground growing...thanks for your replies its very much appreciated...

Did you find out what these were. I found the exact same thing today. The orange tube is what makes me say the exact same thing. Thanks!

Old 05-20-2008, 12:16 AM

4,680 posts, read 4,770,433 times
If it's in mulch, it's most likely a fungus. The orange sounds like a stinkhorn fungus.

Dictyophora duplicata, the veiled stinkhorn or the netted stinkhorn, Tom Volk's Fungus of the Month for July1999

Hunter Valley Backyard Nature: #5 Strange Stinkhorns

They love moist shade...and mulch!

Old 06-01-2010, 10:40 PM

1 posts, read 10,151 times
I found these same little white eggs in my garden. I took them out and layed them on the grass then accidently stepped on one and it was very slimmy and right away I thought they were eggs of some kind of little critter. But then, several days later, the other eggs that didn't get stepped on had hatched and what was growing out of them was this orange warm like looking thing. I touched it and its really soft kinda mushy like a warm but it's not....it's some kind of ....well, i just don't know! And now its growing itself back into the dirt so half of it is exposed and the other half is trying to get back under the soil. What the heck are these things!

Old 08-16-2012, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 6,299 times
I have these egg looking round looking things too in my backyard. I stepped on them on purpose to see if they had liquid in them but they don't. I noticed them about a month ago during this hot, humid summer weather amongst weeds that I was mowing. I need to know if they are poisonous. My dog might eat one. A good reply is needed and I hope a landscaper reads this and can give an answer. In the meantime I will just pick them up, bag them and throw them away.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:52 AM

1 posts, read 5,699 times
Hi
what you have is Clathrus ruber, the red cage fungus.

For more information see:

[url]http://www.realmonstrosities.com/2012/05/red-cage-fungus.html[/url]

regards

Habdab

Last edited by habdab; 11-11-2012 at 03:56 AM.. Reason: URL not active

Old 11-14-2012, 12:12 PM

4,056 posts, read 2,849,204 times
The stinkhorn is the most repulsive thing I have ever encountered in my yard. I brought it in in some mulch I purchased at Lowe's or Home Depot. My eradication program became focused and vicious......I won. I can not even look at that picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden