U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 06:58 PM

2 posts, read 13,972 times

Advertisements

critter eggs size of a pea in a small mound of ground cover st. Louis,mo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 07:05 AM

3,339 posts, read 6,192,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desi2007 View Post
these small white looking eggs are soft and I found few of them while i was weeding around my yard under the mulch...anyone know what they are? insect eggs maybe? what kind of insect? I have never seen these before.
Where are you and how big are these egg-like things? I suspect they're a good fungus that's the product of themulch decomposing -- perfectly normal. A photo would help a lot.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:44 PM

2,063 posts, read 5,520,107 times
My first guess would be mushrooms if it is under the top surface of mulch. Several mushrooms and fungi have a sort of egg like part in the soil. It can be a "universal veil" or a "volva" bit terms and a picture are seen at the bottom of the following page:
Glossary of Mycological Terms (MushroomExpert.Com)

and one here:
Mushroom ID Stems

I had one year where I kept finding them right before the stinkhorns erupted out of some "eggs" in the soil.

If the eggs are on the surface and in a true nest I would suspect a ground dwelling bird like a member of the quail family or a kill deer although their eggs are bigger than peas by a bit.

Here's a quail's nest picture:

found at:https://www.facebook.com/RPQRR?hc_location=timeline

Old 06-15-2013, 06:04 PM

3,339 posts, read 6,192,258 times
We get stinkhorn fungi every year, have them right now. They are no big deal, just leave them alone, unless you think your pets might get at them. I agree, they're pretty gross looking.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 12,256 times
I live in central Delaware and have just discovered the soft white egg shaped "things" in my garden. They are almost the size of robins eggs....some of them have openings at the ground level like something has hatched from them. I've been gardening for a long time and have never noticed them before. I thought maybe since this is the year of the cicadas (2013) it might be them, but other than the fact they are noisy and bothersome there is not much info out there re the cocoons. I plan to take one to our county extension office, will post if I get an answer.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:34 PM

4,644 posts, read 3,672,631 times
I guess Desi2007 (the OP) found the answer - not a post since the original post in 2008.

I wish we knew what he/she found out.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:09 PM

3 posts, read 13,787 times
Those are called Artillary Fungus that grow naturally in wet wood mulches. Sometimes they resemble birds nests with eggs in them but it is just a type of fungus where water absorbs into the fungus until the egg like part explodes and it shoots spores many feet. It looks like a small piece of tar when it lands on your car and is difficult to remove. The only way to get rid of this fungus it is to remove all the old wood mulch and go with a non wood type of mulch in dark damp areas of your yard. Throw away the old mulch so the fungus does not spread. Rake your mulch to keep it dry. The first time I saw it I thought it was slug eggs but come to find out it's Artillary Fungus.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:00 PM

1 posts, read 11,944 times
Default found the exact thing in our garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
I guess Desi2007 (the OP) found the answer - not a post since the original post in 2008.

I wish we knew what he/she found out.
I only wish i knew also because it really looks creepy what we have is exactly as it was described

Old 08-12-2013, 12:17 PM

725 posts, read 1,156,718 times
If it were Ant eggs, you would also see Ants.
Snail eggs from those little snails that can get up to about 1/2 in dia. look like little crystal balls; they get a pink color as they mature and are from tiney 1/8 inch or less to maybe 3/16" or so I don't know about those bigger slugs. They sure are tough; you need a hammer to kill them.
Those little lizzard eggs are white and elongated also in the 3/16" range.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:45 AM

1 posts, read 11,050 times
The eggs that I just recently found after getting new mulch & spreading it out-are tiny tiny tiny!! Could they be termites? That is what I'm afraid of. Any help would be great!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden