U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 09:07 AM

23,873 posts, read 17,577,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Your logic is FALSE. It rests on the assumption that ROUNDUP is required in order to feed 7.5 billion human mouths, all of whom would otherwise starve.

There are many things that can be done to avoid such a catastrophe without resorting to the use of ROUNDUP (and similar chemicals).

One very important thing we must do is to save what agricultural land we have and not put buildings on it. California has already lost too much agricultural land and we must preserve what is left.

Also, each country must take responsibility to feed its own people.

(The key ingredient in Roundup is glyphosphate, which has been shown to cause cancer, according to researchers).

It's Official: California Lists Key Ingredient in Monsanto's Roundup as Cancer-Causing:

https://www.ecowatch.com/glyphosate-...454487516.html
continually citing California's decision over and over is not helping your case. California followed IARC/WHO's lead, and I already provided much useful information about that shameful farce that I'm absolutely sure you failed to read. here it is again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
not surprisingly, the case against roundup is rapidly collapsing.

In writing a report about the cancer risk of glyphosate, a key ingredient in Monsanto’s weed killer Roundup, the World Health Organization (WHO) edited out references to evidence that the pesticide does not cause cancer in animals, Reuters reports in a story published yesterday (October 19).
WHO Cherry-Picked Data on Pesticide, Investigation Finds | The Scientist

Last week, The Times reported how the scientist who advised the IARC to classify glyphosate as carcinogenic received dollars 160,000 from law firms suing Monsanto on behalf of cancer victims.
War against chemicals is a shame on science | The Australian

It turns out that it was Portier himself, who as chair of an IARC committee in 2014 had proposed that the agency undertake a review of glyphosate in the first place.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/geoffre.../#19984a1d18eb

Is Chris Portier The Andrew Wakefield Of Pesticides? | Science 2.0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 04:49 PM

2,093 posts, read 2,694,568 times
"the one named in the sentence you quoted. now in bold" Not sure where you are getting that information, kindly advise. The American Chestnut tree has not been a major commercial (or otherwise) tree anywhere since it's practical extinction 100 years ago. Any surviving American Chestnut sprout/sapling is an oddity, not a commodity.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 01-08-2018, 06:57 PM

1,650 posts, read 628,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
... DDT, asbestos, lead paint, mercury,.....
All excellent examples of the exaggeration of minor problems:

-Eagles may have benefited some from the discontinued use of DDT, but it's estimated that 20Million people died needlessly from malaria in the last 4 decades for the same reason.

-asbestos causes mesothelioma only after extensive exposure and only in smokers. Once asbestos is in place, the best course is to leave it there. Exposing it again for removal aerosolizes it and again makes it dangerous. But the lawyers got involved, ostensibly to protect us, but it's only their own profits that get protected.

-Pb was removed from paint and gasoline 40 yrs ago. IQ levels have not risen even one single point. One can also make the argument that partially burned hydrocarbons chelated by Pb in gas formed a molecule too large to be absorbed in quantities large enough to be carcinogenic. Un-chelated, they can be carcinogenic.

-elemental Hg is biologically inert-- that's why it was used in medical thermometers. You can drink it and it just passes thru without causing harm. But once again the lawyers get involved and, complicit with the govt, pervert the truth for profit-- and we're the ones who pay, while uninformed TreeHuggers agree blindly with their lies, all for the sake of virtue signaling.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:05 PM

16,454 posts, read 21,469,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"the one named in the sentence you quoted. now in bold" Not sure where you are getting that information, kindly advise. The American Chestnut tree has not been a major commercial (or otherwise) tree anywhere since it's practical extinction 100 years ago. Any surviving American Chestnut sprout/sapling is an oddity, not a commodity.

Regards
Gemstone1
Breeding efforts to overcome the blight are massive and showing success. There's a large breeding orchard not far from me. There are still some mature chestnuts around. Give it another 50 years and we'll have maturing chestnuts again in larger numbers.
Attached Thumbnails
I will never use Roundup again-chestnut.jpg  

Old 01-09-2018, 03:00 PM

23,873 posts, read 17,577,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post

Regards
Gemstone1
thus explaining nicely why i specifically used the word REFORESTATION.

do you understand now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Breeding efforts to overcome the blight are massive and showing success. There's a large breeding orchard not far from me. There are still some mature chestnuts around. Give it another 50 years and we'll have maturing chestnuts again in larger numbers.
nice. any idea how big that one is?
there is an experimental plot of chestnuts planted near where i work. some are doing great, some are starting to go downhill. of course these are all traditionally-bred trees.

Old 01-09-2018, 04:44 PM

2,093 posts, read 2,694,568 times
ub....What you said: "would you say 'no' to GMO solutions to citrus greening (which is causing billions in losses to FL trees alone)? or to chestnut canker, which could lead to reforestation of one of the most important trees on the east coast?

And I said that the American Chestnut has not been an important tree anywhere for over 100 years....it barely exists today, and is certainly not considered one of the most important. What I don't understand is why you chose to elevate the chestnut tree to most important status. ...perhaps you read it on a google search while looking for supporting arguments ?

What I do understand is that you are are a proponent of gmo's and glyphosate , nothing wrong with having an opinion, everyone has one....you just happened to use a poor example to support your position....IMO, of course. I also understand that we've strayed from the intent of this thread....about never using roundup.

Do you understand now ?

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 01-09-2018, 05:44 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,022,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I hate Monsanto. I will never use any product of theirs.
Ditto!

Old 01-10-2018, 03:41 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,785 posts, read 37,451,783 times
you can buy generic 41% Glyphosate in 55 gal drums

Works well (as good as Round-up)
With No Monsanto support / fears / hang-ups.

If you are not a green plant, you can drink the stuff.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:07 AM

13,486 posts, read 29,434,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
you can buy generic 41% Glyphosate in 55 gal drums

Works well (as good as Round-up)
With No Monsanto support / fears / hang-ups.

If you are not a green plant, you can drink the stuff.
Yeah I donít think I have used Monsanto branded glyphosate in years, the kind I use is made by PBI-Gordon.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:51 PM

16,454 posts, read 21,469,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post

nice. any idea how big that one is?
there is an experimental plot of chestnuts planted near where i work. some are doing great, some are starting to go downhill. of course these are all traditionally-bred trees.
It's been almost 3 years since I was there but IIRC it was about 15" dbh, give or take a bit. I've done a little work with the ACF to help but have largely devoted my time to another troubled tree (butternut). But the early results so far are very promising. I have no doubt chestnut will be returning to our forests in my lifetime as a mature tree and not just sprouts. And the benefits for the wildlife are going to be big.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden