Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 11:06 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,539,370 times

Advertisements

Instead of roundup, use good old vinegar to kill plants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 11:17 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,518,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
Good post OP, very useful info.

And a better reason to stop using Roundup, is because the Glyphosate is killing all the butterflies into extinction...................

Old 09-16-2017, 11:29 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post

I will never use Roundup again, besides the fact that cyanobacterium love Glyphosate (the main ingredient in Roundup), Roundup has been possibly linked to cancer, and may be one of the reasons blue-green algae is taking over many lakes in the U.S. Speaking of lakes, I live 380 feet from Oneida Lake (in NY) and this is the only year I have seen the lake covered with blue-green algae for almost the entire summer and as of today Sept 15th, the lake is still covered with blue-green algae. Very weird. I have lived near the lake since 1978.
I live not far away and blue green algae has been a problem in lakes here for years. This isn't a new thing this year. The blue green algae blooms in warm temps. The last few days, the temps shot back up so the blue green algae is back. You do need to stay out of water with blue green algae and not drink water that contains it. Also keep your pets out of it. It makes both dogs and humans very sick and can kill.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:58 AM

183 posts, read 210,654 times
We just torch our weeds - works well, no scary Roundup chemicals and its kind of fun.

Old 09-16-2017, 01:11 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,577,745 times
Very useful info.

By Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda from WalMart...do you mean laundry detergent booster? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Arm-Hamme...55-oz/19407690

Or do you mean Baking Soda or the laundry detergent itself? (I'm going to use it for some algae I have.)

I wouldn't use Roundup, anyway, no matter what. It's deadly toxic and seeps into the ground. I also won't use anything that an animal could nibble on and die from. I have my priorities.

Old 09-16-2017, 01:33 PM

7,247 posts, read 5,119,840 times
Kill the wolves and the deer population goes up. Kill the regular weeds and the unusual ones, like Nostoc, can go up. The problem was not that glyphosate "fed" the Nostoc, but any weed killer would have changed the ecosystem of the driveway.

In fact, the weed killer may not have been a factor at all, given that the nearby lake had a cyanobacterium bloom this year. Maybe conditions were just right for that class of plant to have a banner year, the use of Round-up only a coincidence..

Old 09-16-2017, 02:58 PM

486 posts, read 991,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Kill the wolves and the deer population goes up. Kill the regular weeds and the unusual ones, like Nostoc, can go up. The problem was not that glyphosate "fed" the Nostoc, but any weed killer would have changed the ecosystem of the driveway.

In fact, the weed killer may not have been a factor at all, given that the nearby lake had a cyanobacterium bloom this year. Maybe conditions were just right for that class of plant to have a banner year, the use of Round-up only a coincidence..
I believe Roundup was the main reason the Nostoc Commune appeared in my driveway. I have stopped using Roundup and the Nostoc has not come back after I killed it with Washing Soda. Plus while I had the Nostoc in my driveway this past May, I walked around the streets in my neighborhood to see if other driveways and walkways had the same Nostoc growing. Nope didn't see any other driveway with the algae problem. I know for a fact that my immediate neighbors do not use Roundup on their gravel driveways and they did not get the Nostoc Commune.

Also the lake I live nearby still has algae blooms in it and my driveway does not. Once I stopped using Roundup on my driveway, the Nostoc disappeared, no coincidence in my book.

Old 09-16-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
What led you to use the washing soda to kill it? That was pretty ingenious!
I found it here:

Nostoc commune - brown slimy scum | Rae Roadley - New Zealand author

A poster named Margaret Ibbs mentioned it in the comments. I took her advice and it worked. That is why I thought I would post here to help others with Nostoc Commune on their driveways and walkways.

Old 09-16-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Very useful info.

By Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda from WalMart...do you mean laundry detergent booster? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Arm-Hamme...55-oz/19407690

Or do you mean Baking Soda or the laundry detergent itself? (I'm going to use it for some algae I have.)

I wouldn't use Roundup, anyway, no matter what. It's deadly toxic and seeps into the ground. I also won't use anything that an animal could nibble on and die from. I have my priorities.
Yes, your link to the Arm & Hammer Washing Soda is the one I used to kill the Nostoc Commune. Yes, I believe Roundup is toxic, I should have never used it in my driveway. Live and learn. I now use vinegar and salt to kill weeds in my driveway, plus I also use the washing soda in my driveway to cut down on moss. I also pull weeds by hand.

Old 09-16-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
And a better reason to stop using Roundup, is because the Glyphosate is killing all the butterflies into extinction...................
After my Nostoc/Roundup problem I began researching Glyphosate (the main ingredient in Roundup weed killer) and in my opinion (right or wrong, good or bad) from what I have read, it probably isn't as "safe" as they say it is.

Here is a short story from 2016 about the use of Roundup in agriculture:

Glyphosate Now the Most-Used Agricultural Chemical Ever

Something to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden