Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 02:34 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,096,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochili View Post
I just looked this up according to your link...and it says it's not available in my area, within a 100 mile radius.
And no shipping available.
Why do you think that is?

ETA: i'm in the central valley...california.
You said a mouthful when you mentioned 'California'. Very strict rules when it comes to yard chemicals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 03:24 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,094 times
Most pre-emergents note that you shouldn't apply more than twice a year, but if you live in a warmer climate, the temperatures can get high enough during the winter to get weeds to germinate.

I try to apply whatever non-fertilizer brand I can find to my lawn 3 times a year but I always avoided the mulched beds because I figured the mulch would stop it.

Luckily, it pulled up fairly easily but those seeds did drop all over the place.

Old 09-24-2017, 05:29 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I had a crabgrass problem at my previous house. Honestly, it took three years but I got it under control. And each year it was a lot better, so there's that hope.

I used a combination approach of pre emergent weed control, and then a type of crab grass killer that you spray right on the crab grass, and then (my least favorite method but it was effective), I'd wait till after a rain and while the soil was still moist, I'd dig up each clump, being sure to get the "core."

Each year I had less and less of an issue, but no one approach was 100 percent effective. With the three combined approaches I did manage to get rid of it completely.

We have the same problem and have done exactly what the poster above did. We're getting less and less now.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:17 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,556,796 times
If you really want it dead and gone for good, and have plenty left over for the next few years, then you need this:

Drive XLR8 Herbicide Crabgrass Control - Crabgrass Killer | Do My Own

You'll also need something like this to mix it with (only takes a couple table spoons to mix a couple of gallons worth):

https://www.amazon.com/Southern-Ag-M...V3HYA16D4SPDVB

And finally, you'll probably want something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Rain-Maker-70...2Bsprayer&th=1

If just mulch beds, hand pump sprayer should do the trick. If you want the entire yard in one pass to be cleared of all crab grass and other obnoxious weeds, then a 4 gallon backpack sprayer is the ticket. Whatever you get, make SURE you get it with a "fan tip" nozzle. Fan tip, is a little piece of plastic that goes into the sprayer wand that makes the spray go left-right only in a 1-dimensional fixed "fan" pattern. You do NOT want to use the orbital tip (usually metal with a point) that lets you adjust from mist to stream. Like what you normally see on say a bottle of Windex or 409 or what not. You don't want "stream" and you don't want "orbital". You want fan.

Just put in 1 ounce of Drive XLR8 and 2 tablespoons of surfactant per 1 gallon of water into the sprayer, pump it up, and make ONE pass over the crabgrass, and that's it. In about 10 days, you'll have 0% crabgrass. It doesn't kill the lawn either. In fact, you can actually use it when you're seeding at the same time.

I discovered it this time last year, when my new-to-me lawn had become 40% matured crabgrass. Lawn is .38 acres. Bought backpack sprayer, Drive XLR8, surfactant, and did one pass over the lawn with it, then immediately followed with an overseeding application. 10 days later, no crabgrass, and new tall fescue coming up from the bare spots the dying crabgrass had created in the lawn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden