U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 06:55 PM

19,104 posts, read 18,231,448 times

Advertisements

I hate the Sweet Gum in my yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 07:27 AM

1,988 posts, read 686,516 times
Silver Maples? Here's what wikipedia says:
Quote:
its quick growth produces brittle wood, which is commonly damaged in storms. The silver maple's root system is shallow and fibrous, and easily invades septic fields and old drain pipes; it can also crack sidewalks and foundations. It is a vigorous resprouter, and if not pruned, will often grow with multiple trunks. Although it naturally is found near water, it can grow on drier ground if planted there. In ideal natural conditions, A. saccharinum may live up 130 years, but in urban environments often 80 or less.
Following WWII, silver maples were commonly used as a landscaping and street tree in suburban housing developments and cities due to their rapid growth, especially as a replacement for the blighted American Elm. However, they fell out of favor for this purpose because of brittle wood, unattractive form when not pruned or trained, and tendency to produce large numbers of volunteer seedlings, and nowadays it is much less popular for this purpose to the point where some towns and cities banned its use as a street tree.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_saccharinum

Old 10-09-2017, 08:25 AM

2,956 posts, read 1,311,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Silver Maples? Here's what wikipedia says: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_saccharinum

Hackberry and ash.. my two favorite trees.................

Old 10-09-2017, 10:46 AM

19,235 posts, read 31,966,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Silver Maples? Here's what wikipedia says: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_saccharinum
I am quite familiar with Silver Maples, had tons of them when I lived in another house. You have to regularly prune them, and they hold up quite well if you don't live in a very windy or storm prone area- far better than any ornamental Bradford Pear tree, which is not a large shade tree. Also, Silver Maple grows in a variety of soils, including drier soils that won't support many shade trees. So, I prefer shade over brutal sun any day of the week.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:19 AM

1,988 posts, read 686,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I am quite familiar with Silver Maples, had tons of them when I lived in another house. You have to regularly prune them, and they hold up quite well if you don't live in a very windy or storm prone area- far better than any ornamental Bradford Pear tree, which is not a large shade tree. Also, Silver Maple grows in a variety of soils, including drier soils that won't support many shade trees. So, I prefer shade over brutal sun any day of the week.
Glad someone likes them ...

Old 10-09-2017, 02:03 PM

21,007 posts, read 54,016,120 times
My dad has several huge silver maples in his yard. They are messy. They lose sticks and even entire limbs from time to time. They are also huge, beautifully formed trees with wonderful low branching on the trunk - perfect for climbing (just stay right up at the trunk, do not go out on a limb - they break). They are pretty in the fall, but not as pretty as other varieties. They grow really fast. These were planted in the 1970s and 1980s and they are now huge, probably 100' tall more than 4' thick at the trunk and really beautiful.

Obviously you do not plant them near a house or septic field or pipes.

My dad has given me all kinds of volunteer saplings form his various kinds of maple trees. So far, all of them have died except the silver.

Is a silver maple better than other types of maple? Not even close. Is it better than no tree at all? Absolutely as long as you use common sense in choosing where to plant it.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:06 AM

11,879 posts, read 26,780,129 times
Check here...

https://www.uidaho.edu/cnr/center-fo...esearch/pitkin

They should have trees suitable for your climate. I see they offer Bur Oak, Ponderosa Pine, and Western Red Cedar.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:07 AM

11,879 posts, read 26,780,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
JMO
Don't plant anything that will grow higher than your roofline.
That means you'll never have any shade.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:27 AM

743 posts, read 178,590 times
Or you have to have a 10-story home.

(I must meanwhile commend mention of the hackberry above. Given a favored location, they mature into magnificent and elegantly-formed specimens that are a favorite of birds and ground-based wildlife alike.)

Last edited by 17thAndK; 10-11-2017 at 08:38 AM..

Old 10-11-2017, 08:29 AM
BMI

5,024 posts, read 2,602,166 times
Some trees are very "messy" ....avoid them at all cost.

I just paid $800 to take to have crew take down a very messy large Linden in my front yard.
That tree was messy all growing season long...I had to continually sweep my front walkway.
Also it was "weak limbed", constantly picking up dead twigs.

Serviceberry is a very good choice ...I had a few at my previous house and loved them,
the birds loved them too. They do not grow tall and have a nice shape to them,
looking good even with no leaves. Serviceberry is native too, always a bonus
as they handle the north american climate perfectly, cold, heat, drought, no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden