U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 09:45 AM

1,095 posts, read 314,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Some trees are very "messy" ....avoid them at all cost.
Acorn season is at hand. But we have trained squadrons of removal crews at the wait, each member equipped with a gray bushy tail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 06:40 PM

21,395 posts, read 54,505,106 times
There are a lot of osage orange trees on the island where I live (aka "Monkeybrain trees"). They are really messy this time of year. but the Monkeybrains are fun to throw around. I would plant one, but I dont think they get really cool until they are a hundred of more years old. Beautiful trees.

Old 10-15-2017, 06:48 PM

19,341 posts, read 32,209,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Glad someone likes them ...
Yes, I'll take plenty of shade over no shade any day of the week. I'm tired of these newer housing developments that have few shade trees and too many ornamental trees that provide no shade.

Old Today, 12:51 AM
JRR

2,215 posts, read 1,372,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Some trees are very "messy" ....avoid them at all cost.

I just paid $800 to take to have crew take down a very messy large Linden in my front yard.
That tree was messy all growing season long...I had to continually sweep my front walkway.
Also it was "weak limbed", constantly picking up dead twigs.

Serviceberry is a very good choice ...I had a few at my previous house and loved them,
the birds loved them too. They do not grow tall and have a nice shape to them,
looking good even with no leaves. Serviceberry is native too, always a bonus
as they handle the north american climate perfectly, cold, heat, drought, no problem.

We are getting ready to have some trees planted (no one ever had trees in the front yard). Got power wires so can't do large shade trees. Going to have Autumn Brilliance Serviceberry, White Fringetree, Satomi Chinese Pink Flowering Dogwood and Franklin Tree

Old Today, 08:07 AM

2,645 posts, read 1,052,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
[/b]

We are getting ready to have some trees planted (no one ever had trees in the front yard). Got power wires so can't do large shade trees. Going to have Autumn Brilliance Serviceberry, White Fringetree, Satomi Chinese Pink Flowering Dogwood and Franklin Tree
Good for you, particularly on the White Fringetree, which to my mind is highly underrated. I've got two in my yard, and it's kind if neat how the "fringe" appears before the foliage emerges in the spring.

Old Today, 09:02 AM
JRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Good for you, particularly on the White Fringetree, which to my mind is highly underrated. I've got two in my yard, and it's kind if neat how the "fringe" appears before the foliage emerges in the spring.
I've been waiting over 30 years to be where I could have a nice fringetree. Tried growing one in Florida but all it did was stay alive, nothing more. When we were deciding on trees to put in here, I told my wife that we were definitely getting a fringetree and a Franklin tree and that she could choose the other two. Thought about a sourwood, but the owner of the tree farm said they could be tricky to get established. Figured one finicky tree, the Franklin tree, was enough to deal with

Old Today, 02:00 PM

11,928 posts, read 26,981,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I've been waiting over 30 years to be where I could have a nice fringetree. Tried growing one in Florida but all it did was stay alive, nothing more. When we were deciding on trees to put in here, I told my wife that we were definitely getting a fringetree and a Franklin tree and that she could choose the other two. Thought about a sourwood, but the owner of the tree farm said they could be tricky to get established. Figured one finicky tree, the Franklin tree, was enough to deal with
There’s a Franklinia/Gordonia hybrid out now that should be a little easier to grow.

Old Today, 02:06 PM

4,220 posts, read 7,782,528 times
I've got a fringe tree. I had a cold when I bought it, and the sales lady thought I asked about a 'French' tree, so I jokingly have a French tree. Lovely.

My house used to have a bunch of pines and crappy silver maples (only one nice sugar maple). The tornado and high wind tree service took care of all of them. Now I have natives (e.g. serviceberry), dogwood, and crape myrtle.

Old Today, 02:33 PM

11,928 posts, read 26,981,539 times
It’s been said that EAB may wipe out fringe trees along with Ash, we’ll see. They’re pretty easy to grow in my area though, since they’re native to these bottomland soils.

Old Today, 04:54 PM
JRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
It’s been said that EAB may wipe out fringe trees along with Ash, we’ll see. They’re pretty easy to grow in my area though, since they’re native to these bottomland soils.
Thanks for the heads up on this. I may switch to a Chinese Fringetree as it appears it is resistant to the borers. Luckily the tree farm i'm dealing with has both types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden