U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM

503 posts, read 230,050 times

Advertisements

Is it necessary for outdoor plant? Just let the excess water drop onto ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM

3,273 posts, read 545,733 times
I find it is needed during our hot summer. Probably not in the winter.

Pot plants can't go deeper to look for moisture, the same way plants in the ground can.

Old Yesterday, 03:41 PM

503 posts, read 230,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I find it is needed during our hot summer. Probably not in the winter.

Pot plants can't go deeper to look for moisture, the same way plants in the ground can.
What you are saying does not make sense, the hole should have another purpose --- "let the air go through". If the level of saucer water is above the hole, then the air cannot come through the hole.

My initial thought was: the purpose of saucer is holding excess water and not letting water drop on flooring, it seems to me it is only for indoor use.

Old Yesterday, 05:26 PM

5,250 posts, read 5,541,315 times
The saucer has one of two purposes. 1) to protect the area under the pot safe from drips, and 2) to hold extra water that keeps the soil water-saturated in the pot. So, for an outdoor pot where you water from the top you do not need or want a saucer, unless the plant is very water loving and needs to be in moist soil all the time. If the last is true you would like a small amount of the water in the saucer most of the time.

Old Yesterday, 05:28 PM

3,273 posts, read 545,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlebeH View Post
What you are saying does not make sense, the hole should have another purpose --- "let the air go through". If the level of saucer water is above the hole, then the air cannot come through the hole.

My initial thought was: the purpose of saucer is holding excess water and not letting water drop on flooring, it seems to me it is only for indoor use.

I don't know what you don't understand.

Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM

555 posts, read 140,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlebeH View Post

Air isn't going through the hole. Moisture is.

Outdoors, terra cotta pots can hold moisture that the potting soil slowly absorbs. It helps keep plants continually moist instead of cycling from dry to soaked. Terra cotta can also hold nutrients that might otherwise be washed away with the sudden gush when you water the plants.

Old Yesterday, 06:22 PM

468 posts, read 191,985 times
Saucers are used under outdoor pots two reasons: 1) To keep the water from dripping onto the decking below the pot, which stains the decking and over time causes the decking to rot, which, in my case, causes my husband to become unhappy and complain-y. 2) To hold extra water for the plant to soak up over the next day or two during hot weather, which causes plants to become happy.

You don't need air to go up through the hole.

Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,689,682 times
I don't use them as the standing water attracts mosquitos. However I don't have the conditions oldgardener mentions.

Old Yesterday, 07:00 PM

6,414 posts, read 8,044,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Saucers are used under outdoor pots two reasons: 1) To keep the water from dripping onto the decking below the pot, which stains the decking and over time causes the decking to rot, which, in my case, causes my husband to become unhappy and complain-y. 2) To hold extra water for the plant to soak up over the next day or two during hot weather, which causes plants to become happy.

You don't need air to go up through the hole.
This ^^^^ I empty mine as soon as I see water but it keeps the deck cleaner.

Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,114,009 times
Here we use saucers to keep the roots from crawling out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden