U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 07:53 AM

313 posts, read 171,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Fungus can lay dormant anywhere until the right conditions come along to activate it, such as high humidity along with too much water.
Read this helpful info...
Signs of Over-Watering a Plant | Home Guides | SF Gate
I think you take on this is correct, the soil is clay and I did amend it with some compost so I'm thinking this fungus issue was caused by overwatering !

I guess I let it dry out and hope it survives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 04:25 PM

4,210 posts, read 7,776,970 times
Rickcin - generally, lilacs do not do well in the south. There may be some tolerant varieties but personally I prefer native plants. Did you buy them at a big box or a nursery? Nurseries usually stock plants appropriate to the region; big box caveat emptor. You may try thinning out the shrubs making sure to dispose of the waste, dispose of all the waste / stuff around the base, and not fertilizing the plant for awhile. Dispose means burn or put in the garbage or however your area disposes of trash. Do not put it in a compost pile. The reason not to fertilize is that the fungus may favor newer growth so limiting that condition may be helpful.

Is the South Too Hot for Lilacs? - Southern Living

Old 10-04-2017, 05:55 PM

313 posts, read 171,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Rickcin - generally, lilacs do not do well in the south. There may be some tolerant varieties but personally I prefer native plants. Did you buy them at a big box or a nursery? Nurseries usually stock plants appropriate to the region; big box caveat emptor. You may try thinning out the shrubs making sure to dispose of the waste, dispose of all the waste / stuff around the base, and not fertilizing the plant for awhile. Dispose means burn or put in the garbage or however your area disposes of trash. Do not put it in a compost pile. The reason not to fertilize is that the fungus may favor newer growth so limiting that condition may be helpful.

Is the South Too Hot for Lilacs? - Southern Living
You people are so very smart! Yes, your assumption is correct and I admit to buying this at a big box store, Lowes! I need to smarten up! Thanks

Old 10-05-2017, 10:01 AM

4,210 posts, read 7,776,970 times
To be clear, I buy stuff at big box stores like Lowes and Home Depot, however I know exactly what I want. A nursery usually has knowledgeable staff ready to talk with you. Other possible sources of information include state extension service, botanical gardens, and master gardeners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden