Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2017, 01:41 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,944,555 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure what the keywords are for this because I'm having a hard time with google. I'm trying to find information on planting cacti at the front of my property and what the laws are? I'm based in Los Angeles. All throughout the city/county, you can find agave on the sidewalks and some cacti too (Pasadena for example) so I assumed I'd be safe planting my cactus outside my house. It's out the way so you'd only get hurt if you went on my property. I know out here you can sue for any little thing and I do have liability but I just wanted to check anyway.

My friend mentioned someone who was trespassing on his property (running from the police) got pricked really bad and tried to sue for medical costs but the police report knocked that case out. My friend was told by his lawyer that his property didn't have a "no trespassing" sign, which is why the criminal tried to sue.
-______-

Update: I'm not a member of a HOA

Last edited by Miss Pip; 10-10-2017 at 02:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 01:54 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,331,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
I'm not sure what the keywords are for this because I'm having a hard time with google. I'm trying to find information on planting cacti at the front of my property and what the laws are? I'm based in Los Angeles. All throughout the city/county, you can find agave on the sidewalks and some cacti too (Pasadena for example) so I assumed I'd be safe planting my cactus outside my house. It's out the way so you'd only get hurt if you went on my property. I know out here you can sue for any little thing and I do have liability but I just wanted to check anyway.

My friend mentioned someone who was trespassing on his property (running from the police) got pricked really bad and tried to sue for medical costs but the police report knocked that case out. My friend was told by his lawyer that his property didn't have a "no trespassing" sign, which is why the criminal tried to sue.
-______-

FWIW, seen lots of cactus and spiny succulents planted in public and private landscapes in California in general and SoCal in particular so if there are any laws prohibiting planting cacti they are being largely ignored.

that said, think the most important concern for the average homeowner is that their plantings do NOT adversely affect or impede the SAFE and LEGAL access of persons on public sidewalks and roadways OR that a home owner's plants "trespass" on their adjacent neighbors private property or right of way. IOW, would your neighbor on their property or a passerby using the sidewalk in the normal and customary way be hurt or otherwise inconvenienced because your cacti were growing onto their driveway or the public's walkway? would also add that many utility companies (water, electric, gas) require that plantings of most anything be kept away from whatever they might have on your property so they may safely and easily perform maintenance and repairs on their various devices that ultimately benefit you.

IF you are a member of an HOA you might check directly with them to see if they have any planting (or fencing or signing---see next paragraph) restrictions peculiar to their particular development.

from a practical standpoint (and from a wanting to be a "good neighbor" point of view) we should all plan our landscapes so that from the moment of installation as possibly small plants through maturity as maybe not so small plants that those plants are not in a position to hurt or hinder us---or anybody else attempting to perform reasonable, normal, and legal acts. IF your plantings are as much about keeping some of your neighbors away you might also want to "legal-scape" your yard by putting up a fence AND a "do not trespass sign" (in English and Spanish perhaps???) so that legal burden of proof on whoever came in without permission and possibly injures themselves is more likely on the trespasser who would have to ignore both fence and sign to go through your potentially prickly landscape in the first place!!!!

hope this helps.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 10-10-2017 at 02:18 PM..

Old 10-10-2017, 09:27 PM

44,621 posts, read 61,584,987 times
OP this might help, any questions call them...
CITY OF LOS ANGELES
LANDSCAPE
ORDINANCE
https://planning.lacity.org/Forms_Pr...nes%204-05.pdf

Old 10-10-2017, 10:27 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,944,555 times
Thanks guys! This is very helpful

Old 10-13-2017, 01:03 PM

130,099 posts, read 12,078,224 times
With all the water restrictions, planting drought tolerant plants such as cacti should be encouraged. We have some succulents int he ground, but they do not have any spikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden