Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 09:54 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times

Advertisements

I am going to use lime for the first time and am up for any good tips.

My yard and some beds are overwhelmed with moss every winter and even after treatment in the spring the dead growth is heavy. Since I cannot do much to increase sun exposure I thought I would try a preventative treatment.

Any good advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 10:03 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times
Get a soil test first.

Edit: so as not to appear flippant, I'll add that I was faced with much the same situation, and used the OPs solution (guided by the soil test).

Last edited by Reactionary; 10-15-2017 at 10:28 AM..

Old 10-15-2017, 10:40 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
I agree with getting the soil tested. You will probably find it will take large quantities of lime to make a difference but it is not as simple as just adding lime to raise the soil pH. This is why a professional soil test is recommended. See Liming Turfgrass Areas — Center for Turfgrass Science — Penn State University

I also recommend using pelletized limestone since it is easier to spread and much less messy.

Old 10-15-2017, 02:11 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,093,145 times
I agree with both posters above, with the exception of using granular lime instead of pelletized. Also double what the recommended application calls for. Lime takes a while to work, and you will do no harm by putting down too much. I live in oak tree country, and need to put down triple the recommended rate if I want grass that does not look like fine hair.

Old 10-15-2017, 06:00 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I agree with getting the soil tested. You will probably find it will take large quantities of lime to make a difference but it is not as simple as just adding lime to raise the soil pH. This is why a professional soil test is recommended. See Liming Turfgrass Areas — Center for Turfgrass Science — Penn State University

I also recommend using pelletized limestone since it is easier to spread and much less messy.
I want to follow up that the soil test kits are very inexpensive from Penn State: https://extension.psu.edu/don-t-guess-soil-test. $9 is not a lot to pay to do the job right. While I am sure the cost will vary state to state; I am also sure that many other states offer equivalent services through their agricultural extension services.

PS I found out that you can even get a 'free' test in Washington at 'answer clinics': http://extension.wsu.edu/clark/garde...nswer-clinics/. Or you can pay $9 like here in PA. I also found this video on how to collect soil for the lab: https://puyallup.wsu.edu/soils/video_soilsampling/.

Last edited by fisheye; 10-15-2017 at 06:13 PM..

Old 10-15-2017, 06:12 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I use lime regularly because the side lawn is under two huge fir trees, and the fallen needles bring up the acidity. It doesn’t do anything to deter the moss, however. I still end up applying a moss control 2-3 times a year. Of course, in our climate a rolling stone does gather moss.

Old 10-18-2017, 03:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I use lime regularly because the side lawn is under two huge fir trees, and the fallen needles bring up the acidity. It doesn’t do anything to deter the moss, however. I still end up applying a moss control 2-3 times a year. Of course, in our climate a rolling stone does gather moss.
^^^^same climate as OP ^^^^ (western side of Pacific Northwe_t)... (scared my Colorado friends away to see 4" of moss on roofs...and on shady side of homes).

Yes, use a pellet application of lime (slower release), and you still may need a moss remover.

I am going to try commercial baking soda on the roof this yr (I use that in TX for Spanish Moss). Less corrosive to gutters and less harmful to surrounding soils

OP can buy either product from nearby Wilco farm stores. (Support the co-ops! (usually less expensive anyway) ) https://www.wilco.coop/about-us/careers/values/

How to Kill Moss With Bicarbonate of Soda | Home Guides | SF Gate
A Novice Ecologist: Baking Soda kills Moss
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf/Garden...Your-Lawn.html
>>> LOCAL / similar CLIMATE Eco-Friendly Roof Cleaning Solutions - ThurstonTalk
(bleach) https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...=.20c564f2e997

Old 10-18-2019, 08:05 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
yesterday i got a letter in the mail from my lawn care company suggesting i get a lime treatment. my assumption is that they believe that it is a necessary treatment for everyone; i dont think they are offering this based on a soil test showing my lawn needs it. so im wondering if its something that should just be done and what i should expect from it.

i just ordered something to test the soil, it was super cheap so i figured i may as well.

Old 10-18-2019, 08:15 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
yesterday i got a letter in the mail from my lawn care company suggesting i get a lime treatment. my assumption is that they believe that it is a necessary treatment for everyone; i dont think they are offering this based on a soil test showing my lawn needs it. so im wondering if its something that should just be done and what i should expect from it.

i just ordered something to test the soil, it was super cheap so i figured i may as well.
I had the owner of a lawn company tell me it would take over 50 bags of lime to raise the pH in my lawn to the proper level. I bought a soil test kit from the Penn State Extension office and sent the sample away for testing. They reported back that my soil was already at the correct pH level. I guess I won't be spending any money on lime for awhile.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:08 AM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=soil%20test%20kit DIY- cheap- easy- repeatable at will
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden