U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2017, 05:36 PM

1,685 posts, read 664,786 times

Advertisements

Iím seriously thinking of using Roundup to kill my front yard, itís that bad from years of neglect. Previous owner did nothing to control the weeds,which now outnumber the grass by a large percentage. I will have no problem using Roundup, as I have been for many years.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 07:27 PM

26,881 posts, read 38,123,724 times
I used Roundp in areas of my yard where I later found plenty of bugs and worms. Apparently the death ray effect missed them.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:57 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,619,409 times
CaptainNJ,
I wouldn't do it.
You don't have to. You grow cool season grass where you live, so you can seed whenever you want, and
the new grass will come up. Cut your lawn real short, and seed now.
Then in early spring, around St. Pattys day where you live, you apply PreEmergence for weeds,
you can buy it anywhere.
In the later part of APril, or beginning of May, seed your lawn again, and keep it well watered.
If you have a lot of weeds, you can apply the preemergence twice, read on the bag. It really cuts
down on the weeds that you don't want to grow when the ground warms up.
After the new grass grows in by June, fertilize it, and keep it well fed throughout the summer and fall.
If you want to, you can seed again in September, after you cut it short again, and start all over again.
AFTER your lawn is thick with mostly grass, apply the Preemergence in September and March.
The preemergence will wear off after 4 weeks, so you can reseed when the weather is warmer.
Grass isn't hard, it's all about mowing and watering.
Good luck.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:27 PM

12,305 posts, read 10,044,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so i moved into a house recently where the previous owner stopped caring for the yard for a while. so some parts have a decent amount of grass and some have no grass. all of it has a lot of weeds. i had a few grass guys come over to tell me how to make it into a magnificent yard of lush beautiful grass. one guy suggested "burning" the existing vegetation and then i seeding everything to basically start from scratch. i checked his web site and it mentions that they will apply round up to the entire yard.

now, i am not mr natural organic or anything close to that but it seems like a lot to apply it to my entire yard. is this something that you would feel comfortable doing?
I would NEVER RoundUp my yard. We only use it on Poison Ivy due to my severe allergies. RoundUp is HORRIBLE stuff. Read up on it. All of those chemicals are going to run off your property and get into the local watershed. Nasty stuff.

You can literally burn the lawn and start over. We have neighbors who did that a few years ago. Their yard was literally set on fire. They have completely new landscaping now.

Old 10-20-2017, 12:39 AM

1,893 posts, read 625,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I would NEVER RoundUp my yard. We only use it on Poison Ivy due to my severe allergies. RoundUp is HORRIBLE stuff. Read up on it. All of those chemicals are going to run off your property and get into the local watershed. Nasty stuff.

You can literally burn the lawn and start over. We have neighbors who did that a few years ago. Their yard was literally set on fire. They have completely new landscaping now.
And a new house?

Old 10-20-2017, 01:28 AM

7,086 posts, read 2,207,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post

You'd be burned by the law if you tried that inside most cities.

Old 10-20-2017, 03:31 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,989,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Informed individuals know all about the recent news of Round Up. Causes cancer, destroys Mother Nature. It's effing POISON.
"Informed Individuals"?

Old 10-20-2017, 06:36 AM

12,606 posts, read 10,725,246 times
Round up doesn't kill crab grass...and, as said, the germination of weeds can happen later..
So it might be a 2 step deal.
Burning with a flame thrower for that purpose works....but I happen to have a greenhouse
friend that has acres of professional growing and lent me his...I looked like Kurt Russel in
Escape From New York...but burning is great.
In tuff areas covering with black plastic in the sun will do the same....not clear plastic, ha.

Listen to Butterfly4u.

And even I know the word glysophate...there, I didn't even have to look up the spelling!!!
Oh,I see I got it wrong...but you try from memory! I like mine better.

For those uninformed, one of a dozen links:
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...ate-and-health

Old 10-20-2017, 07:09 AM

6,081 posts, read 7,023,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Round up doesn't kill crab grass...
Huh? It certainly does.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:13 AM

24,717 posts, read 59,563,864 times
There are better products you can use to kill off a yard of weeds. You really need to kill everything, then stir up the ground with a tiller and mix in some root killer. Then let it sit a bit, kill off anything else that grows and then put in your new base and sod or seed.

We had a neighbor who just use round up once, then re-sodded. In a year, he had a yard full of weeds again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or