U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 07:30 AM

6,081 posts, read 7,038,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
There are better products you can use to kill off a yard of weeds. You really need to kill everything, then stir up the ground with a tiller and mix in some root killer. Then let it sit a bit, kill off anything else that grows and then put in your new base and sod or seed.

We had a neighbor who just use round up once, then re-sodded. In a year, he had a yard full of weeds again.
So many people do not know a thing about weed killers. Why would anyone expect RoundUp to keep on working over a whole year? It only works on the weeds that it is sprayed on, by killing the growing tips. You do not want it to keep working weeks later or it would kill your newly planted/sodded lawn. And what the heck is a root killer? Do you want to kill all of your subsequent plantings?

Good weed killers have a known way of working and must be used in harmony with that. It is all biology and biochemistry. Not a mysterious miracle that does just what you can imagine in a perfect world. If it was, and with people imagining different things, it would make no sense.

Ask a well trained and experienced herbicide expert if you need advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 07:38 AM

12,684 posts, read 10,752,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Huh? It certainly does.
Re: Crab grass....That is truly news to me...I have to buy a separate product... Ground Clear, gets it ALL...maybe there are more than one kind of Round Up?
Sorry if I steered anyone wrong. It does nothing to crab grass at my place...nothing.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:41 AM

12,684 posts, read 10,752,997 times
A story...my neighbor said first day...'Don't try to grow a lawn there...they
put manure there once and nothing will ever grow'.
Well, 17 years later, or more since they did this,
I do get the occasional weed between the flag stone.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:09 AM

24,725 posts, read 59,631,443 times
If you just want to kill plants there today (like roundup does), I have been experimenting with a mixture of vinegar, water dawn and Epsom salts. We live on a major river (Detroit River/Lake Eerie) and do not want roundup running into the water supply. Not sure our cocktail is all that much safer for the water (we are told it is) but it works quite well. Best of all it saves a trip to home depot since we usually have all of those things around already.

There are stronger things than roundup that kill the roots also something that stops seeds from germinating. Wiping out existing plants with round up will not keep roots from growing new plants and will not stop seeds from germinating. Killing today weeds does not eliminate the weeds long term and they come right back. basically you need to mix in a kill everything chemical cocktail, then wait, then kill anything new that grows and mix again, then wait, then plant. Be careful what you use because some chemicals will sterilize your soil for a year or more. Just do what the "professionals" do - read the directions. News flash, the "professional" lawn care people did not go to college for this, they are not chemists, they read the instructions and talk to people, call the manufacturer with any questions. You can do that too.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:48 AM

22,697 posts, read 28,583,687 times
this is what it says on the company's web site:

"Total Lawn Renovation Round Up is applied to nullify the existing vegetation in the lawn. Several days later, quality seed is sliced into the soil and placed at the proper depth for maximum germination. .. "

i am not surprised by the difference of opinion. i will talk to a couple of lawn guys before i proceed. soon i am removing about 19 trees on the property and after that i want to work on the lawn. which will be soon as trees are going next week.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:18 AM

271 posts, read 194,205 times
Good discussion/information on Round Up at link below. A variant of this chemical was used as a defoliant in Vietnam.

https://www.publichealth.va.gov/expo...nge/basics.asp

Walessp

Old 10-20-2017, 11:30 AM

6,167 posts, read 3,257,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so i moved into a house recently where the previous owner stopped caring for the yard for a while. so some parts have a decent amount of grass and some have no grass. all of it has a lot of weeds. i had a few grass guys come over to tell me how to make it into a magnificent yard of lush beautiful grass. one guy suggested "burning" the existing vegetation and then i seeding everything to basically start from scratch. i checked his web site and it mentions that they will apply round up to the entire yard.

now, i am not mr natural organic or anything close to that but it seems like a lot to apply it to my entire yard. is this something that you would feel comfortable doing?
NOOOOOOOOOO! That is highly toxic to the environment AND creatures AND has something to do with killing off bees.

There are methods of killing weeds just as good without all the danger and destruction. Don't do it! Don't even squirt one little weed between the pavers. It's totally unnecessary, due to lazy people who wanted to "buy" something to take care of a problem, and in no small part due to lawn services.

You know you can even pressure spray (with a pressure spray nozzle from Home Depot) a weed between pavers, and poof, it's gone! No poison, no danger.

Once you get your grass healthy (re-seed if necessary), it will crowd out most weeds. Then address just those weeds left over.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:33 AM

26,914 posts, read 38,161,464 times
lol

Old 10-20-2017, 11:46 AM

12,305 posts, read 10,058,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
And a new house?
Why would they need a new house? The house wasn't on fire. The lawn was burned in a controlled burn.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:47 AM

12,305 posts, read 10,058,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
You'd be burned by the law if you tried that inside most cities.
So check with your local code enforcement officer. It's not like the yard is set on fire like Napa was just on fire. It's done with a flaming torch. It's all very controlled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or