U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 01:00 PM

3,468 posts, read 1,661,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
NOOOOOOOOOO! That is highly toxic to the environment AND creatures AND has something to do with killing off bees.

There are methods of killing weeds just as good without all the danger and destruction. Don't do it! Don't even squirt one little weed between the pavers. It's totally unnecessary, due to lazy people who wanted to "buy" something to take care of a problem, and in no small part due to lawn services.

You know you can even pressure spray (with a pressure spray nozzle from Home Depot) a weed between pavers, and poof, it's gone! No poison, no danger.

Once you get your grass healthy (re-seed if necessary), it will crowd out most weeds. Then address just those weeds left over.
"Something to do with killing off bees"? Geez, if you're going to make statements like that, at least post some science to back it up.

If you're applying RoundUp to a lawn or weeds it really won't affect the bees. It's not intended for use on shrubs or flowers that attract the bees. I use it on weeds and unwanted low-growing weedy groundcover, and my yard is an absolute haven for bees of all kinds. I specifically plant bee - attracting shrubs and flowers, so that's where they head - not the lawn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 01:56 PM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,671,676 times
Our gardeners say roundup is the lazy short cut and there are always some negative effects to herbicides. Can you find a crew who will rip up what's there for a reasonable price?

Roundup is glyphosate. Just do an internet search if you want to be assured of its safety. Ho ho. Some of it is hysteria, for sure. However, glyphosate is a synthetically produced chemical and the long term impacts on various populations simply aren't known - the safety threshold it had to pass to be approved is not very high. Your choice.... Of course one can't buy DDT nowadays, after that was sprayed all over for years and years thinking it was also ok.

Last edited by bg7; 10-20-2017 at 02:05 PM..

Old 10-20-2017, 01:59 PM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,671,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove;49879448[B
]"Something to do with killing off bees"? Geez, if you're going to make statements like that, at least post some science to back it up[/b].

If you're applying RoundUp to a lawn or weeds it really won't affect the bees. It's not intended for use on shrubs or flowers that attract the bees. I use it on weeds and unwanted low-growing weedy groundcover, and my yard is an absolute haven for bees of all kinds. I specifically plant bee - attracting shrubs and flowers, so that's where they head - not the lawn.
Here you go - peer-reviewed scientific journal study concluding it has deleterious effects on bee appetites, associative learning and nectar reward response, as well as likely long term colony accumulation problems.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25063858

Your bees never visit clover on your lawn or other flowering weeds in it? You know whats going on back at the hive...

Glad to hear you plant pollinator attracting shrubs and don't spray on them for sure.

EDIT - here's another scientific study thinking that it affects Vitamin A metabolism in bees:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27780120

here's another one stating glyphosate, at sub-lethal concentrations commonly found in the field, affects bee navigation in a deleterious manner:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26333931

btw - all of these are actual primary source scientific articles based on actual data. They are not PR put out by Monsanto, nor are they "any chemical is bad" hysteria put out by the other side.

Anyone who thinks roundup is not affecting bees is being very casual about the data.

Last edited by bg7; 10-20-2017 at 02:13 PM..

Old 10-20-2017, 02:27 PM

25,905 posts, read 49,889,738 times
I do not believe in herbicides but found it was the only way I could meet compliance on my folks property.

The city said to remove all vegetation from 6" to 6" except for tree trunks.

The area is rugged with areas of greater than 100% slope and HEAVILY covered in Poison Oak...

Never would have been able to get the fire department to sign off without herbicide...

Funny thing is they have owned their home since the 1960's and it was never a problem until recently...

Old 10-20-2017, 02:58 PM

2,470 posts, read 2,503,904 times
I suggest Agent Orange. You should use it around the house as well. Very versatile.

Old 10-20-2017, 03:07 PM

33,198 posts, read 39,246,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Informed individuals know all about the recent news of Round Up. Causes cancer, destroys Mother Nature. It's effing POISON.
Agreed. heres some reading for those who think otherwise = https://www.google.ca/search?source=....0.bHggcg7aKaY

Old 10-20-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I suggest Agent Orange. You should use it around the house as well. Very versatile.
Do you have a source?

My understanding Agent Orange is military grade and never available for civilian use?

Old 10-20-2017, 03:50 PM

9,893 posts, read 14,009,143 times
Round Up is LONG lasting toxin, only naive will argue otherwise.

Go buy this:
Diamond Crystal 40 Lbs Water Softener Salt Crystals (100012411) - Water Softener Salt - Ace Hardware

Even better, Coastal Farm and Garden here sells 50 lb bags of granulated salt for same price. Get garden spreader, maybe rent it, and liberally spread granules in your yard. Best of course done not when it pours non stop. It's salt, right?
It kills ANY vegetation. Takes some time, but it does. They put it into the driveways base, to prevent growth.
Then it dissolves and is gone. No chemicals, no toxins.

Old 10-20-2017, 03:56 PM

6,191 posts, read 3,280,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
"Something to do with killing off bees"? Geez, if you're going to make statements like that, at least post some science to back it up.

Do you seriously need citations to back up a common sense statement? How about a scientific analysis to show that the sky is blue on sunny days?

Only lazy people use poison to get rid of something that something NOT poisonous will fix. If you're going to make blanket statements that using RoundUp is preferred, at least present scientific backup that there's no safer alternative.

Here's your proof: Walk over to where some bees are, spray some bees with roundup, then walk away (they'll be angry). If any die = Roundup bad. You think any will die? How many is too many?

For chemical pushers, no amount of evidence will suffice. No safer alternatives will do, or are necessary. They cherry pick the evidence, twist the data to prove that the thing they make money from is not harmful. Some people will leave their brain at the door and not question that. But that defies common sense. When the purpose of a substance is to kill something, it is by definition harmful. It's not a stretch to question all the things on earth that it may be harmful to, since nothing is harmful or helpful to only one thing.

It's really unnecessary to use Roundup for weeds. Some people just automatically look for a substance at Home Depot to "take care" of a problem, not realizing that it's unnecessary. It can be taken care of in a safer way, and probably a cheaper way. Sometimes a poison is necessary. This isn't one of those things where it's necessary.

Note: No substance sprayed onto one thing STAYS right there. All things on earth are connected. Where does the substance go once you spray it? Onto the weed, yes. And then where? And the weed you spray could well kill a cat or dog. It has happened.

Old 10-20-2017, 03:56 PM

Salt is a Chemical and Toxin...

Had an overturned semi with salt and it was a Hazmat clean up...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or