U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 08:16 AM

1,387 posts, read 601,424 times

Advertisements

Weeds, shrubs, and trees all regenerate unless you kill them. Yelling at them and bringing in the weed-whacker isn't going to get the job done. Round-Up will get the job done and do it with low levels of runoff and toxicity while quickly being degraded by everyday microbes in the soil. All of these are among the reasons why Round-Up is so widely used. Irrational people can always just pour salt all over their land. That won't have any unintended side effects or anything. LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 08:59 AM

4,653 posts, read 3,019,005 times
The ambulance chasers in TV ads claim that it is the scourge of mankind, citing various types of blood cancers primarily.

I've been using it and its predecessors for 40 years. Maybe it'll get me one day something gets all of us.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:26 AM

23,906 posts, read 31,137,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so i moved into a house recently where the previous owner stopped caring for the yard for a while. so some parts have a decent amount of grass and some have no grass. all of it has a lot of weeds. i had a few grass guys come over to tell me how to make it into a magnificent yard of lush beautiful grass. one guy suggested "burning" the existing vegetation and then i seeding everything to basically start from scratch. i checked his web site and it mentions that they will apply round up to the entire yard.

now, i am not mr natural organic or anything close to that but it seems like a lot to apply it to my entire yard. is this something that you would feel comfortable doing?
I would, and have.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:01 PM

22,674 posts, read 28,559,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Geez....removing 19 trees and using toxic poison on your whole lawn. What do you have against nature?
my yard will look how i want my yard to look.

the trees are doomed, that is happening tuesday and wednesday.

the grass will be lush and green and magnificent. how exactly what will happen is yet to be determined. i am not inclined to "round up" the whole yard.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:13 PM

1,387 posts, read 601,424 times
Quote:
There are places -- some in New Jersey -- where you would not be able to decide that on your own.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:46 PM

25,817 posts, read 49,712,454 times
Many places with overlapping jurisdictions... both government and things like HOA.

Maintaining a Green Lawn would have caused a lot of issues if you were using city water...

One of my neighbors got a Non-Compliance Notice for trees and bushes so she paid a contractor to remove... thing is the city said a permit is required to remove a tree with a $220 fee and public hearings should the public object.

It really does make a person wonder how we as a society have come to this...

The Tree Permit has started to have unintended consequences... many now just opt to let nature take its course... instead of being pro-active.

The city has a policy against Herbicides... so now city maintained property is often the worst offenders according to Fire Department Records citing the enormous cost of labor to manually or set up temporary fencing and bringing in goats...

We owned a 10 acre parcel and each year would have to deal with fire prevention... it became very costly and time consuming... sold it to the city park department 12 years ago and ZERO has been done now that it is city owned.

This parcel is the how and why I started using Roundup... there was no way I as an individual could reach compliance on 10 acres of steep and rugged terrain teaming with poison oak... city attempted once and 3 of the worker were out for 10 days with Poison Oak...

I believe moderation is often the best approach...

Old 10-22-2017, 08:56 AM

11,076 posts, read 7,180,979 times
Quote:

the trees are doomed, that is happening tuesday and wednesday.

the grass will be lush and green and magnificent. how exactly what will happen is yet to be determined. i am not inclined to "round up" the whole yard.
Just out of interest. Would you mind me asking how old, and what genera/species of trees they are, that you are going to have removed, and are the stumps and roots coming out too?

It's only when the trees have gone, that you realise how valuable they were. In summer you have shade, (shade that can help the lawn), and in winter you have protection form winds. Some well considered pruning can go a long way, if they are way to large.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:13 PM

5,463 posts, read 4,577,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Just out of interest. Would you mind me asking how old, and what genera/species of trees they are, that you are going to have removed, and are the stumps and roots coming out too?

It's only when the trees have gone, that you realise how valuable they were. In summer you have shade, (shade that can help the lawn), and in winter you have protection form winds. Some well considered pruning can go a long way, if they are way to large.
Something to consider also: 19 trees provide a lot of habitat for birds, squirrels and other wildlife.

Old 10-22-2017, 02:12 PM

11,076 posts, read 7,180,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Something to consider also: 19 trees provide a lot of habitat for birds, squirrels and other wildlife.
They do, and even if you choose to replace the trees later, it takes ages for the wildlife to return. That's if there is any left, considering the trees you have, may be keystone hosts.

Old 10-22-2017, 04:48 PM

22,674 posts, read 28,559,598 times
io
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
There are places -- some in New Jersey -- where you would not be able to decide that on your own.
yeah, i know. i called the town before i bought the house to find out what the rules were. they said that i could chop down whatever i want unless there is some kind of easement.

even if it was against the rules id still do it. just have to do it ninja fast and deny deny deny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or