U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 04:50 PM

22,709 posts, read 28,590,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Just out of interest. Would you mind me asking how old, and what genera/species of trees they are, that you are going to have removed, and are the stumps and roots coming out too?

It's only when the trees have gone, that you realise how valuable they were. In summer you have shade, (shade that can help the lawn), and in winter you have protection form winds. Some well considered pruning can go a long way, if they are way to large.
id be happy to answer but i dont know the answer to that. the stumps will be grinded.

i do value the shade that i have from trees. it definitely helped cool my home in the summer. there are a lot of very tall trees surrounding my home. im not getting rid of everything. but i do like the look of nice open grassy property more than a lot of trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Something to consider also: 19 trees provide a lot of habitat for birds, squirrels and other wildlife.
am i seriously supposed to care about this? i know other people do and that is great but i cant pretend like i do. its a very heavily wooded area where i live. they will just have to pack their acorns and move to another tree.

What are you, the Lorax?

Old 10-22-2017, 06:29 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,714,462 times
i think applying roundup to the entire yard is just a way for the contractor to get more money from you when he reseeds the lawn.

It would be far easier to just weed wack the heck out of the yard and spot treat with 2,4-d on the warmer days.

a little more attention than what the previous owner did will go a long way into getting you back to a nicer lawn.

killing everything is no way of ensuring a weed free lawn. I have a neighbor that killed his lawn with roundup, trucked in fresh top soil, seeded it and watered it during the summer and now has more weeds than what he started with as well as no grass.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:32 PM

22,739 posts, read 21,787,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
You'd be burned by the law if you tried that inside most cities.
He lives in New Jersey, and I don't think you're allowed to do anything there.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:09 PM

22,739 posts, read 21,787,854 times
Killing the whole thing sounds a bit severe, unless more than 65% is shot. My husband and I once bought a bad lawn. Since I knew nothing about lawn care, it took me a few years to whip it into being lovely and well behaved. It's a lot of work one way or the other.

Old 10-23-2017, 06:46 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,714,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
am i seriously supposed to care about this? i know other people do and that is great but i cant pretend like i do. its a very heavily wooded area where i live. they will just have to pack their acorns and move to another tree.

What are you, the Lorax?
I find your attitude a little bit offensive.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:37 AM

23,934 posts, read 17,598,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Informed individuals know all about the recent news of Round Up. Causes cancer, destroys Mother Nature. It's effing POISON.
'informed individuals' know that's a crock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walessp View Post
Good discussion/information on Round Up at link below. A variant of this chemical was used as a defoliant in Vietnam.

https://www.publichealth.va.gov/expo...nge/basics.asp

Walessp
2,4-D and 2,4,5-T could hardly be more different than glyphosate. they are not even remotely variants.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
I find your attitude a little bit offensive.
we will be holding a funeral for all of the trees being removed and also a fundraiser to help relocated the animals that lost their homes. the gofundme page will be up shortly, i will post a link to it as soon as it is ready to go.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 10-24-2017 at 09:24 AM..

Old 10-26-2017, 04:13 AM

18 posts, read 3,783 times
I'm seriously thinking of using Roundup to kill my front yard, it's that bad from years of neglect. Previous owner did nothing to control the weeds

Old 10-26-2017, 06:08 AM

1,664 posts, read 634,030 times
Instead of killing off everything with RoundUp and then leaving a clear playing field for the weeds to grow back with even less competition, try waiting 'til spring and then applying a Pre-emergent herbicide-- that kills only the roots of the dicot weeds as the seeds germinate and leaves the monocots (grass) unmolested. (RoundUp kills the growing plants after they are already established.)

Pre-Emergent Herbicides - Herbicides - Lawn & Garden Products Commercial Lawn Care Products
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or