Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 03:16 PM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Round up doesn't kill crab grass...
It kills plants born of seed. Including crab grass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
For those uninformed, one of a dozen links:
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...ate-and-health
The uninformed are those who dutifully glom onto any negative suggestion at all while ignoring reports that the alleged risks are minor, unconfirmed, or non-existent. The bottom line is that Round-Up is safe and effective when used as directed.

ON EDIT: Ground Clear (Ortho) is Round-Up (Monsanto) with Imazapyr (a second and much more persistent herbicide) added. The latter is also water soluble and apt to leach into untreated yard areas and drainage routes. If that sounds like a good idea, you can also purchase Round-Up Extended Control. It too contains Imazapyr.

Last edited by 17thAndK; 10-20-2017 at 03:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 04:01 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
It's prefectly safe; go for it. I think lawns are absolute lunacy!

Old 10-20-2017, 04:18 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Round Up is LONG lasting toxin, only naive will argue otherwise.

Go buy this:
Diamond Crystal 40 Lbs Water Softener Salt Crystals (100012411) - Water Softener Salt - Ace Hardware

Even better, Coastal Farm and Garden here sells 50 lb bags of granulated salt for same price. Get garden spreader, maybe rent it, and liberally spread granules in your yard. Best of course done not when it pours non stop. It's salt, right?
It kills ANY vegetation. Takes some time, but it does. They put it into the driveways base, to prevent growth.
Then it dissolves and is gone. No chemicals, no toxins.
Yeah and it'll damage every shrub and tree in your yard. RoundUp doesn't do that.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:37 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
Well, I'm done with this discussion as only a few of the posters know what they are talking about.

But I do want to add this, that we do need to watch for the RoundUp name being used as a brand rather than a product like it was in the past. For the last 30 yrs it has referred only to glyphosate in a solution. In the future we will need to double check that the RoundUp-brand in the container is not a mixture of glyphosate with other herbicides for special purposes. I think it is a big marketing mistake, but the companies are trying to capitalize on brand recognition. So double check the intended purpose and the fine print.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:14 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,946,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
this is what it says on the company's web site:

"Total Lawn Renovation – Round Up is applied to nullify the existing vegetation in the lawn. Several days later, quality seed is sliced into the soil and placed at the proper depth for maximum germination. .. "

i am not surprised by the difference of opinion. i will talk to a couple of lawn guys before i proceed. soon i am removing about 19 trees on the property and after that i want to work on the lawn. which will be soon as trees are going next week.
Geez....removing 19 trees and using toxic poison on your whole lawn. What do you have against nature?

Old 10-20-2017, 07:20 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,946,145 times
For those who insist on Roundup being as harmless as cotton candy:

https://www.reuters.com/article/roun...0DC22F20130425

Old 10-20-2017, 09:20 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,439,663 times
Psst... you're not supposed to eat it.

Old 10-21-2017, 03:19 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
A friend of ours who works for the EPA and has a PhD in toxicology both commanded and begged me never to use round up. That may be because we live on the river and the river supplies drinking water for about 15 million people.

Old 10-21-2017, 06:17 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Do you seriously need citations to back up a common sense statement? How about a scientific analysis to show that the sky is blue on sunny days?

Only lazy people use poison to get rid of something that something NOT poisonous will fix. If you're going to make blanket statements that using RoundUp is preferred, at least present scientific backup that there's no safer alternative.

Here's your proof: Walk over to where some bees are, spray some bees with roundup, then walk away (they'll be angry). If any die = Roundup bad. You think any will die? How many is too many?

For chemical pushers, no amount of evidence will suffice. No safer alternatives will do, or are necessary. They cherry pick the evidence, twist the data to prove that the thing they make money from is not harmful. Some people will leave their brain at the door and not question that. But that defies common sense. When the purpose of a substance is to kill something, it is by definition harmful. It's not a stretch to question all the things on earth that it may be harmful to, since nothing is harmful or helpful to only one thing.

It's really unnecessary to use Roundup for weeds. Some people just automatically look for a substance at Home Depot to "take care" of a problem, not realizing that it's unnecessary. It can be taken care of in a safer way, and probably a cheaper way. Sometimes a poison is necessary. This isn't one of those things where it's necessary.

Note: No substance sprayed onto one thing STAYS right there. All things on earth are connected. Where does the substance go once you spray it? Onto the weed, yes. And then where? And the weed you spray could well kill a cat or dog. It has happened.
Look, I use RoundUp sensibly. I don't spray it onto bees. I spray it onto weed vegetation only. I cannot reach low growing weeds due to neck and back issues. RoundUp kills the plant tissues but doesn't leach into the soil. Even my extension agent who taught my Master Gardening course uses it in selected applications, as I do as well. I'm not spraying it willy nilly all over the place. That being said, I'm out of this fracas.

Old 10-21-2017, 06:55 AM

13,626 posts, read 10,029,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so i moved into a house recently where the previous owner stopped caring for the yard for a while. so some parts have a decent amount of grass and some have no grass. all of it has a lot of weeds. i had a few grass guys come over to tell me how to make it into a magnificent yard of lush beautiful grass. one guy suggested "burning" the existing vegetation and then i seeding everything to basically start from scratch. i checked his web site and it mentions that they will apply round up to the entire yard.

now, i am not mr natural organic or anything close to that but it seems like a lot to apply it to my entire yard. is this something that you would feel comfortable doing?
I'm not going to read the whole thread, and get into the roundup debate, because there are too many paid posters, just sitting, and getting ready to throw abuse, so I'll give an easy answer.

Flail, wait, flail, wait, cut and collect, then watch the lawn looking great. You can throw a little scarifying in there, if you like, if the turf weeds are troublesome.

I've got a few acres of grass and mixed woodland, and the difference between the mess you describe, and it looking like a park, can be just a few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden