Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 03:19 PM

2,298 posts, read 2,111,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I went to grad school at University of Virginia, and the Pratt ginkgo (male) is gorgeous:

https://news.virginia.edu/content/tr...d-pratt-ginkgo

The female ginkgo next to Brooks Hall produces fruit that quickly rots on the sidewalks, and saying they have a "distinctive odor" doesn't do justice to their stench. They contain butyric acid, and smell strongly of vomit.
Thanks, the bad thing about ginkgo is growing too slowly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 04:24 PM

6,286 posts, read 4,798,778 times
Ginkos are pretty much indestructible and flourish in the most trying urban areas. As far as male vs female trees go, what you find in the nursery will be a male plant because the female plants are not grown in commerce. They are a bit awkward shaped until they get older and then resemble a shade tree which takes some time. Quaking Aspens are not recommended because they have contracted an illness that is wiping out large tracts plus they grow fast and are weak wooded and your are a bit south for them. Red Maples is another weak wooded tree that grows fast and breaks easy. We have 2 here and one 40 foot high one had the top half break off and the other lost 2/3 of its branches in the recent storm. If you want a decent tree try an Oak or Sugar Maple with strong wood. They grow slower and are much better bets IMHO. There is also Sweetgum (my personal fav) Katsura and Locust. Go to your local tree nursery and see what they are offering.

Old 10-22-2017, 04:45 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,640,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Aspens have a lifespan of about 20 years and put up a lot of shooters. They grow fast and die fast. I think there's better trees for a yard unless someone really has an attachment to them or that's one of the few trees that grow.

Aspens in the east are called poplar. I think they're related, but not quite the same thing that grow in the rocky mountain west. They grow in the wild, they are the cover crop that shoots up fast before the other, more long living trees establish.

Lindens are my favorite trees and those should grow in the Virginia area.
That's right. Quaking aspen is well-adapted to short dry summers and long cold winters, in, say, Idaho. I just don't see it flourishing in the DC area. But there's more than one species of aspen. Aspens, birches, poplars are pretty closely related and have similar leaves and habits. There's bound to be one that will grow in your yard if you're 'north of citrus'. Whether it's a good fit for what you want in your yard is another question.

I agree about lindens. Heavenly scent when they flower. They attract bees by the gazillion, and their dried flowers make a lovely herbal tea. But as far as I know, none have especially colorful leaves except in fall.

Another tree the OP should look into is crepe myrtle. The Complete Guide to Crepe Myrtle Trees - Southern Living

And of course, DC is famous for its ornamental cherries. I believe some of those might have other-than-green foliage. I know there are purple-leaved ornamental plums. https://www.thespruce.com/purple-lea...g-tips-3269344

Old 10-22-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Ginkos are pretty much indestructible and flourish in the most trying urban areas. As far as male vs female trees go, what you find in the nursery will be a male plant because the female plants are not grown in commerce. They are a bit awkward shaped until they get older and then resemble a shade tree which takes some time. Quaking Aspens are not recommended because they have contracted an illness that is wiping out large tracts plus they grow fast and are weak wooded and your are a bit south for them. Red Maples is another weak wooded tree that grows fast and breaks easy. We have 2 here and one 40 foot high one had the top half break off and the other lost 2/3 of its branches in the recent storm. If you want a decent tree try an Oak or Sugar Maple with strong wood. They grow slower and are much better bets IMHO. There is also Sweetgum (my personal fav) Katsura and Locust. Go to your local tree nursery and see what they are offering.

Thanks for the information. Does Sweetgum have the problems of producing suckers (as Aspen) or dropping tons of seeds (as red maple)?

Thanks.

Old 10-22-2017, 05:16 PM

How about Okame Flowering Cherry? What about its lifespan? Thanks.

Old 10-22-2017, 05:24 PM

10,050 posts, read 6,338,800 times
What kind of trees are you looking for? Do you want large shade trees or smaller flowering trees? Does your part of the yard where you will be planting one have mostly sun, shade, or partial sun? Do you want a deciduous tree or an evergreen? Personally I would try to plant a tree that is native to the area, like a fringetree, which is exceptionally nice in the spring, or a dogwood, which has both spring and fall interest. Or I'd go for a Jane's magnolia, which has gorgeous burgundy blooms but doesn't get enormous like a Southern Magnolia, or drop leathery leaves that last in the yard for ages. There are just so many possibilities available; why don't you consult your local extension agent or tree stewards to get a better idea of trees that would fit your particular yard conditions?

Old 10-22-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
What kind of trees are you looking for? Do you want large shade trees or smaller flowering trees? Does your part of the yard where you will be planting one have mostly sun, shade, or partial sun? Do you want a deciduous tree or an evergreen? Personally I would try to plant a tree that is native to the area, like a fringetree, which is exceptionally nice in the spring, or a dogwood, which has both spring and fall interest. Or I'd go for a Jane's magnolia, which has gorgeous burgundy blooms but doesn't get enormous like a Southern Magnolia, or drop leathery leaves that last in the yard for ages. There are just so many possibilities available; why don't you consult your local extension agent or tree stewards to get a better idea of trees that would fit your particular yard conditions?

Various trees. Plan to have 3-5 trees, from 20-30 feet to 50-60 feet. Less care, strong wood, etc.

Old 10-23-2017, 06:47 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,311,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Red maple is beautiful. But. It is shallow rooted, produces tons of seeds that will germinate if left in flower beds, etc, and the leaf fall requires a lot of raking in the autumn. So plan on some extra work. Also, some varieties are more colorful than others, so ask at the nursery for the current favorite.

Ginko is also gorgeous, a nice clear yellow in the fall plus interesting leaves. You must get a male tree! or suffer extremely stinky fruits. You also need check to their winter hardiness and diseases in your area (ask at the local nursery).

I have not seen any Aspen on the east coast.

Repeating this for absolute truth. If you get a Ginko, get a male. The fruit from the female stinks like vomit. Philadelphia has so many female ginko trees that there were streets that I would absolutely avoid during the fruiting season. Really, really stinky.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:42 AM

10,050 posts, read 6,338,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Repeating this for absolute truth. If you get a Ginko, get a male. The fruit from the female stinks like vomit. Philadelphia has so many female ginko trees that there were streets that I would absolutely avoid during the fruiting season. Really, really stinky.
My first college planted an entire row of female gingko trees flanking the circular driveway to the main administration building. It certainly made for an "interesting" first impression for incoming freshmen in the fall when they were all dropping their fruit. Nothing like slipping and sliding on vomit-smelling blacktop to feel welcome.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:03 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,311,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
My first college planted an entire row of female gingko trees flanking the circular driveway to the main administration building. It certainly made for an "interesting" first impression for incoming freshmen in the fall when they were all dropping their fruit. Nothing like slipping and sliding on vomit-smelling blacktop to feel welcome.
No kidding! The first time I encountered them, I thought I would be adding to the smell. UGH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden