Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 01:13 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,178,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Red maple is beautiful. But. It is shallow rooted, produces tons of seeds that will germinate if left in flower beds, etc, and the leaf fall requires a lot of raking in the autumn. So plan on some extra work. Also, some varieties are more colorful than others, so ask at the nursery for the current favorite.

Ginko is also gorgeous, a nice clear yellow in the fall plus interesting leaves. You must get a male tree! or suffer extremely stinky fruits. You also need check to their winter hardiness and diseases in your area (ask at the local nursery).

I have not seen any Aspen on the east coast.
Will red maple seed germinate on the lawn? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 01:51 PM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,989 times
I don't think I've seen any in DC, but according to the Arbor Day Foundation...

"If there were a Guinness Book of World Records for trees, the quaking aspen would be in it – several times. First, it has the widest natural range of any tree in North America, spanning 47 degrees of latitude (equal to half the distance from the equator to the North Pole), 110 degrees of longitude (nine time zones) and elevations from sea level to timberline. It is also the largest living organism, growing in clones that reproduce primarily by sending up sprouts from their roots. And as far as the oldest … a clone in Minnesota has been estimated to be 8,000 years old!"

Unless I had vast holdings of land, I might be put off by their propagation habits though.

Old 10-22-2017, 02:01 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,190,478 times
Maple leave will germinate anywhere, lawn, planting bed, flower pots, gutters. In the lawn just mowing with take care of them. Landscape beds, pull out. Gutters can get clogged if you have them. My mom curses her neighbors maple that produces so many seeds it coats her front yard in a inch or two and fills her gutters, pulls hundreds of sprouted seedling from landscape rocks.

But they are pretty trees.

Old 10-22-2017, 02:02 PM

5,357 posts, read 5,134,067 times
Aspens have a lifespan of about 20 years and put up a lot of shooters. They grow fast and die fast. I think there's better trees for a yard unless someone really has an attachment to them or that's one of the few trees that grow.

Aspens in the east are called poplar. I think they're related, but not quite the same thing that grow in the rocky mountain west. They grow in the wild, they are the cover crop that shoots up fast before the other, more long living trees establish.

Lindens are my favorite trees and those should grow in the Virginia area.

Old 10-22-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Maple leave will germinate anywhere, lawn, planting bed, flower pots, gutters. In the lawn just mowing with take care of them. Landscape beds, pull out. Gutters can get clogged if you have them. My mom curses her neighbors maple that produces so many seeds it coats her front yard in a inch or two and fills her gutters, pulls hundreds of sprouted seedling from landscape rocks.

But they are pretty trees.
So mowing the lawn will be enough to take care of it, will it hurt the grass?

Not worry about gutter, it will stay more than 50 feet away from house. Back side of yard, along the fence.

Thanks.

Old 10-22-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Aspens have a lifespan of about 20 years and put up a lot of shooters. They grow fast and die fast. I think there's better trees for a yard unless someone really has an attachment to them or that's one of the few trees that grow.

Aspens in the east are called poplar. I think they're related, but not quite the same thing that grow in the rocky mountain west. They grow in the wild, they are the cover crop that shoots up fast before the other, more long living trees establish.

Lindens are my favorite trees and those should grow in the Virginia area.
Then I should quit planting Aspens, no attachment to any particular trees.

I am open to all suggestions.

Old 10-22-2017, 03:00 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,190,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlebeH View Post
So mowing the lawn will be enough to take care of it, will it hurt the grass?

Not worry about gutter, it will stay more than 50 feet away from house. Back side of yard, along the fence.

Thanks.
The seedlings won't hurt grass. You just have to rake them up like you do leaves. Those seeds can fly a long way, they are not called helicopter seeds for nothing.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/maple-t...ear-97016.html

Old 10-22-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
The seedlings won't hurt grass. You just have to rake them up like you do leaves. Those seeds can fly a long way, they are not called helicopter seeds for nothing.

Do Maple Trees Drop Helicopters Once a Year? | Home Guides | SF Gate
So when does it drop seeding? How long can it last? If it lasts less than 5-6 weeks, then I am okay with it. But if it lasts years around, it requires some extra work and it bothers me.

But on the other side of my back yard, there is abandon area, it belongs to a resident, but his yard is too big and there is quite a portion of his back yard is abandoned. What is red maple trees grow in his yard? Too close to my maple tree? Will maple seed grow under shade?

Last edited by Baike; 10-22-2017 at 03:17 PM..

Old 10-22-2017, 03:17 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Ginko is also gorgeous, a nice clear yellow in the fall plus interesting leaves. You must get a male tree! or suffer extremely stinky fruits. You also need check to their winter hardiness and diseases in your area (ask at the local nursery).
I went to grad school at University of Virginia, and the Pratt ginkgo (male) is gorgeous:

https://news.virginia.edu/content/tr...d-pratt-ginkgo

The female ginkgo next to Brooks Hall produces fruit that quickly rots on the sidewalks, and saying they have a "distinctive odor" doesn't do justice to their stench. They contain butyric acid, and smell strongly of vomit.

Old 10-22-2017, 03:18 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,096,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlebeH View Post
So when does it drop seeding? How long can it last? If it lasts less than 5-6 weeks, then I am okay with it. But if it lasts years around, it requires some extra work and it bothers me.
A couple of weeks at best. I have two 30 footers in my front yard with nary a problem. Yes some seedlings pop up throughout my gardens, but are easily pulled when they are young. The squirrels have a fondness for the seedpods also. Not unusual to see a whole family up there munching away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden