U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 03:14 AM

2,594 posts, read 1,007,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
My preference is for big bamboo chimes, the bigger the better. They sound delightfully melodic, peaceful and natural without the irritating loud metallic clanking and sharp ringing of metal chimes.
I like wind harps and Aeolian harps too, they are so surreal:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...harp&FORM=IGRE

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...nt&FORM=IRMHRE

I became obsessed with aeolian harps after my motherís funeral in April.

There was this ring ... sort of like those Tibetan bowls, that nobody else heard but me. I looked high & low & all I could see were two little wind chimes hanging from a tree.

I had never heard of these harps; I came home & literally googled ď singing chime in cemeteryĒ & obviously that pulled up a lot of new age/metaphysical stuff. Finally I found the tone that I had heard. Iím hooked but I canít find one to buy that is under $800!

Iíve tried making one & there is no future for me in handcrafting, whatsoever. I wonder, if that continuous ďzingĒ was from those two wind chimes hung close together?

Itís like the Sirens song to me.

I donít like the random clacketey, clanking, out of tune ones though .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 07:41 AM

1,515 posts, read 459,212 times
I really dislike windchimes, too. It's just more noise on top of too much noise.
That said, a friend has some bamboo chimes. They make lovely, resonant noise that doesn't carry very far.

Old 10-26-2017, 11:38 AM

4,363 posts, read 5,369,305 times
Do you have close neighbors? If so, do them a favor and forego the wind chimes unless you could be vigilant about stopping them from clanging at night.

Old 10-31-2017, 04:38 PM

507 posts, read 606,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedal Wench View Post
Corinthian Bells. They have a distinctly rich, warm sound and are incredible. We actually have them indoors over a floor vent so we can hear them throughout the day. Truly a delight.

They come in various sizes and musical scales: https://whimsicalwinds.com/Manufactu...ls_Wind_Chimes
I agree with Corinthian Bells - we've got three different sizes, one of which is pretty good sized. Love the sounds of even the small ones!

Old 10-31-2017, 04:39 PM

507 posts, read 606,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
Wind chimes are truly an annoyance and I'm glad I'm not the OP's neighbor.
Maybe the OP lives on acreage as we do - no one close enough to hear them, and WE enjoy them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden