U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2017, 07:50 AM

561 posts, read 258,568 times

Advertisements

The grass is so tall, and there are some leaves (there should more more leaves day after day, leaves start falling).

Should I mow it? I am concerning the grass seed cannot get sunshine if the existing grass is too tall and so many leaves, but I am also concern about walking mower on the new grass seed.
Attached Thumbnails
Should I mow lawn with over seeding?-3.jpg  

Last edited by GlebeH; 10-27-2017 at 08:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 08:31 AM
Status: "those denying the robot threat are probably robots too" (set 26 days ago)

18,498 posts, read 17,939,539 times
I would mow it. Removing the leaves would benefit your lawn over winter and shorter grass could be more resistant to snow mold. You are near DC right? You aren't going to do any significant damage by walking on a newly seeded lawn.

https://www.extension.umn.edu/garden...olds-in-lawns/

Old 10-27-2017, 12:55 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
25,827 posts, read 44,565,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I would mow it. Removing the leaves would benefit your lawn over winter and shorter grass could be more resistant to snow mold. You are near DC right? You aren't going to do any significant damage by walking on a newly seeded lawn.

https://www.extension.umn.edu/garden...olds-in-lawns/
I agree, the blades look enough well established to be mowed which will help them stiffen up. If you have a mulching mower the leaves will become good mulch for the lawn.

Old 10-27-2017, 04:36 PM

1,423 posts, read 774,424 times
Do NOT mow them less than about 3" high though. So make sure you set the mower to average that height around the area you'll mow.

Old 10-27-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Do NOT mow them less than about 3" high though. So make sure you set the mower to average that height around the area you'll mow.
This lawn is existing lawn with over seeding, NOT new lawn.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:30 PM

1,423 posts, read 774,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlebeH View Post
This lawn is existing lawn with over seeding, NOT new lawn.
That doesn't change things. Don't mow it less than 3" tall.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
That doesn't change things. Don't mow it less than 3" tall.
The existing grass is too tall, grass seeds among them cannot get sunshine. AND a lot of falling leaves on the lawn. I set it above 3", if there is new grass, it will not be cut.

Old 11-01-2017, 04:56 PM

57,512 posts, read 39,944,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlebeH View Post
The grass is so tall, and there are some leaves (there should more more leaves day after day, leaves start falling).

Should I mow it? I am concerning the grass seed cannot get sunshine if the existing grass is too tall and so many leaves, but I am also concern about walking mower on the new grass seed.
I would mow it just to keep exiting lawn healthy which looks to be the majority. Maybe work around the bare new seedling patches if you can. Existing grass looks long enough to mow now and like you said, once more leaves start falling it will be tough to mow and risking suffocating the new seeds with too much leaf mulch.. You would have to blow, then mow.

Leave the grass clippings down, will help retain moisture for the new seedlings coming up underneath

Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,993,228 times
I've always overseeded and just kept to my normal mowing regime. If it's a thin area that I purposely seeded to try and fill in, i'll skip it....but the general lawn that is pretty well established to begin with? Mow away.

What I see in the pics? I'd mow that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden