U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2017, 01:57 AM

4,315 posts, read 4,671,862 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the information and the link.

Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 04:43 AM

4,742 posts, read 4,357,271 times
According to my windshields there was substantial drop in insect population in just the past 15 years. There were some weeks in the middle of summer I washed winshield once a week when 15 years ago I had to wash off splashed bug every day to see through. Around my house ants seems exploded in numbers but everything else is smaller in size and numbers even japanese beetles, bee like creatures almost gone, I have acres of unmowed land with plenty of milkweed but I've seen only one Monarch this year. Of course around my 18 acres there is little but sterilized fields and lawns so it is not enough. Also I record sounds of insects etc. In the evening, it used to be deafening and as years pass by it the noise gets progressively less intense.

Last edited by RememberMee; 10-31-2017 at 05:32 AM..

Old 10-31-2017, 03:37 PM

20,969 posts, read 15,447,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
A manufactured 75% drop in all insect species? Not likely. One or two, maybe -- you'll often notice that it's a lousy year for one or two specific species -- but all of them?
the study specified 'flying insects.'
not all.

Quote:
The study, published on Wednesday in peer-reviewed journal PLOS One has found that, in German nature reserves, flying insect populations have declined by more than 75% over the duration of the 27-year study.
related: https://www.treehugger.com/clean-tec...d-by-cars.html

Quote:
The biologist from the University of Wageningen believes that around 500 billion insects are killed each year in vehicle strikes in the Netherlands alone

Old 11-01-2017, 05:09 PM

21,328 posts, read 54,445,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
the study specified 'flying insects.'
not all.

related: https://www.treehugger.com/clean-tec...d-by-cars.html
Ban windshields now!

Old 11-01-2017, 10:59 PM

356 posts, read 173,522 times
As expected, several CD posters dismissing the findings with anecdotal evidence. “In my garden i see many bugs, therefore this study is fake news”.

I agree with the theory that buildup of pesticides over decades is most likely the biggest factor. It’s not just the bees that are affected, it’s every organism.

Old 11-02-2017, 02:31 AM

13,066 posts, read 14,390,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Thanks for the information and the link.

You're welcome. Too bad they were deleted for their controversial content.

Old 11-02-2017, 04:31 AM

883 posts, read 293,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP48G View Post
As expected, several CD posters dismissing the findings with anecdotal evidence. “In my garden i see many bugs, therefore this study is fake news”.

I agree with the theory that buildup of pesticides over decades is most likely the biggest factor. It’s not just the bees that are affected, it’s every organism.
The problem with that theory is that most pesticides are used on row crops like corn & soybeans which are wind pollinated and not attractive to pollinators like butterflies, wasps and bees, so they are not exposed that much to the chemicals, which, BTW, don't "build up." They are quickly degraded (especially glyphosate, that's why it's preferred) after being applied.

Biggest problem (as usual) is loss of habitat to the bulldozer and residential lawns. Fewer wild flowers.

The CNN report of the German study is inadequate (maybe the study is incomplete?). They don't say which bugs are depopulated, therefore no conclusion as to reasons can be made.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:40 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,010,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
The problem with that theory is that most pesticides are used on row crops like corn & soybeans which are wind pollinated and not attractive to pollinators like butterflies, wasps and bees, so they are not exposed that much to the chemicals, which, BTW, don't "build up." They are quickly degraded (especially glyphosate, that's why it's preferred) after being applied.

Biggest problem (as usual) is loss of habitat to the bulldozer and residential lawns. Fewer wild flowers.

The CNN report of the German study is inadequate (maybe the study is incomplete?). They don't say which bugs are depopulated, therefore no conclusion as to reasons can be made.
Anything that isn't grass is considered a weed by many. I bought a house that has Florida pusley (Richardia scabra) in my lawn. It's a weed/groundcover with blossoms and attracts honey bees all over it when it's in bloom, which is most of the year. It may be considered a nuisance plant to those who want a perfect lawn, but it provides nectar and attracts bees and butterflies.

There are so many honey bees on the flowers, it's not a good idea to walk through the yard during sunny hours without paying attention to where I step. I can actually hear the hum from the bees as I get close. I can't in good conscience use herbicides to remove it. Having a pristine lawn without native plants may be the goal for many homeowner's, but it comes at a price I'm not willing to pay to have a sterile lawn.

Last edited by jean_ji; 11-03-2017 at 10:57 AM..

Old 11-05-2017, 05:10 PM
Status: "Super Junior's 12th Anniversary!" (set 4 days ago)

6,417 posts, read 12,536,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
Butterflies and bees or mosquito's and cockroaches?
LOL omg this was a BANNER year for mosquitoes in my yard. I've not been seeing many monarchs, but I have seen lots of other butterflies and beneficial insects. This includes the first northern pearly eye, if I'm not mistaken. There HAVE been fewer stinkbugs, but that is a blessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP48G View Post
LOL you know us well. But I'd have to agree with the other poster who listed the development. In my state, YES I and my nearest neighbor have planted natives in our yards and don't use chemicals...but there is TON of development going around us.

On another neighboring property, the DEVIL who bought it just bulldozed like 10 or 15 mature trees to build another hideous Mcmansion. That just got rid of a TON of habitat for birds, butterflies and other animals. We would have to work for many DECADES to replace what they destroyed in just minutes.

I'm going to take a moment to be sad about that....
Ok I'm back. There is also lots of development going on apparently all over the country. As if global warming (or whatever they are calling it) or the lack of tree cover that we already have is some sort of joke. Well whatever...sad for the insects. Even sadder for Kinkytoes.

Last edited by kinkytoes; 11-05-2017 at 05:52 PM..

Old 11-05-2017, 05:41 PM

11,916 posts, read 26,957,774 times
Seems like we're getting a new invasive Asian insect around here every couple of years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden