U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 11:10 AM

5,109 posts, read 7,402,675 times

Advertisements

Kinky: Yes, AZ but high desert. No Yucca desired. Had all that stuff in Chandler (low desert) and glad to be rid of it. But thanks anyhow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 04:17 PM

Just went to the nursery today and saw rows of Pansies in all colors. Apparently they do not die over the winter in this climate. At least that's what the worker said. Hard to believe that when it snows, they can survive. It's not alot of snow, but still. I am amazed and thrilled !!

Old 11-07-2017, 04:39 PM

4,312 posts, read 4,669,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Just went to the nursery today and saw rows of Pansies in all colors. Apparently they do not die over the winter in this climate. At least that's what the worker said. Hard to believe that when it snows, they can survive. It's not alot of snow, but still. I am amazed and thrilled !!

The nurseries here are all selling winter pansies now. I planted some in autumn last year and they all survived last winter with a lot of snow and below freezing temps. The blossoms are long lasting and were still intact and fresh after all the snow melted off them. They continued blooming all through this year and are now putting on a new burst of extra flower growth since we started getting some freezing temps here a few days ago. I think they must like the cold temperatures, they seem to perk up and flourish in it.

Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM

1,659 posts, read 5,246,498 times
Pansies are beautiful and bloom continuously throughout the winter especially if they are fertilized. I usually start out with good soil, compost and slow release fertilizer as well. They like good drainage and once established donít need much water. I just planted a couple of pots at my house. They look especially beautiful if planted in drifts.
Attached Thumbnails
Dying to Get Out in the Yard: What Can I plant now???-24400752278_06d2c5fd6b_b.jpg   Dying to Get Out in the Yard: What Can I plant now???-24400749628_ccc22b1b1e_b.jpg  

Last edited by citydweller; Yesterday at 03:12 PM..

Old Yesterday, 03:43 PM

CityDweller: I love your pansies ! I am going out and get some of my own. The mums in the pots have pooped so I need to replace them. Thank you !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden