U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-05-2017, 12:24 PM
 
Location: In the Pearl of the Purchase, Ky
6,409 posts, read 11,607,551 times
Reputation: 26764

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i have another question. there are some areas where you have these little thin growths coming from the ground. i want to clear the land to make for a really nice lawn and id like to get rid of them. can i ride the mower on them or will they get wrapped around the blades or something? most of my house has nothing but mud now after i had a bunch of trees removed. the front is the only area with some grass and it is a pretty weak lawn right now.


Captain, if you think some of these growths may come back up (I've had some to do that) I found a stump killer that will do the job for you. I know you've probably already mowed them down, but, if they come back up, you can cut them off at the ground and paint, or spray the stump with this chemical full strength. You'll never see them come up again. I used some of this stuff when we got rid of some shrubbery in our front yard where we used to live. Sprayed it in late summer and the stump and roots came up very easy with a shovel in the spring. Used it a lot on little spots like yours too. Don't remember the name but bought it at a hardware store where we used to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-05-2017, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Holmdel, NJ
21,025 posts, read 26,222,618 times
Reputation: 13018
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Captain, if you think some of these growths may come back up (I've had some to do that) I found a stump killer that will do the job for you. I know you've probably already mowed them down, but, if they come back up, you can cut them off at the ground and paint, or spray the stump with this chemical full strength. You'll never see them come up again. I used some of this stuff when we got rid of some shrubbery in our front yard where we used to live. Sprayed it in late summer and the stump and roots came up very easy with a shovel in the spring. Used it a lot on little spots like yours too. Don't remember the name but bought it at a hardware store where we used to live.
do you still have it to get the name off it? these stumps are front and center of my yard so i do want to remove them. if the pulling didnt work, im thinking of renting a stump grinder or hiring. im not sure a chemical would be quick enough but id consider it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2017, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Holmdel, NJ
21,025 posts, read 26,222,618 times
Reputation: 13018
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i cant just let that stump win. one problem is that it started growing these things out of it that made it look like a really ugly bush. if that hadnt happen, the guys i had removing 19 trees recently would have grinded the stumps down and it wouldnt be an issue today. im kicking myself for not realizing it then.
the stump has won this round. this weekend i cut off the tiny remaining stump so i could remove my "rope puller" as i was unable to figure out how to do it. i had to cut about 80% of it before the tension had an impact and pulled it the remaining 14% and i cut that last 1% to remove it. it kind of makes me wonder how effective those things are for pulling out roots. i saw some videos online and they seems more effective than my experience. maybe if i had a taller stump and put like 3 or 4 more substantial pullers it would do the job.

anyway, the weekend snowfall prevented me from riding my mower on the growths sticking up from the ground that kept me from fully blowing the leaves into the woods. hopefully i will get a chance next weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2017, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
10,465 posts, read 8,916,540 times
Reputation: 6868
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the stump has won this round. this weekend i cut off the tiny remaining stump so i could remove my "rope puller" as i was unable to figure out how to do it. i had to cut about 80% of it before the tension had an impact and pulled it the remaining 14% and i cut that last 1% to remove it. it kind of makes me wonder how effective those things are for pulling out roots. i saw some videos online and they seems more effective than my experience. maybe if i had a taller stump and put like 3 or 4 more substantial pullers it would do the job.

anyway, the weekend snowfall prevented me from riding my mower on the growths sticking up from the ground that kept me from fully blowing the leaves into the woods. hopefully i will get a chance next weekend.
The tallest stump is before you cut the tree down. I have pulled some trees and their stumps right out the ground with my pickup truck. The secret is getting them roped high enough to get enough leverage. Of course the condition of the root can also be a factor. For many years we loved to go to yard sales and I always looked for good chain and rope - I am into bondage (at least when it comes to trees). I also bought chain hoist, come-a-longs and pulleys - anything that would help me lift or pull. I use a fishing rod with a half or one once lead sinker and heavy line to target a high sturdy place to attach my rope (like the crotch of a tree). The first time, I get the right spot, I attach nylon surveyors line to the fishing line and pull it back over the limb (the heavy ropes get stuck and will break the fishing line). Then I attach a good heavy rope to that and pull it back over the other way. Sometimes I can just attach a strong piece of firewood, about three of four inches in diameter, to the end of the heavy rope and then catch it in the crotch of the tree when I pull the rope back through (that way I do not have to go all the way around the tree).

When I work on trees around houses I always rope them so they cannot fall in the wrong direction. Sometimes you cannot see a rotten or dead section in the tree. I will rope them to other trees or rope thme to my truck. Several times I started pulling on them, to put some pressure on the tree to fall in the right direction, but ended up pulling it down and out the ground without one cut.

By the way; I use to sell firewood many, many, years ago so I do have some experience with trees and chain saws. I just never had a pair of tree climbing spikes and the fishing pole worked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2017, 03:11 PM
 
Location: Holmdel, NJ
21,025 posts, read 26,222,618 times
Reputation: 13018
i wish i knew that when i was having my fun cutting down trees in the beginning. now i will need to go to plan b. havent decided what that will be yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
10,465 posts, read 8,916,540 times
Reputation: 6868
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i wish i knew that when i was having my fun cutting down trees in the beginning. now i will need to go to plan b. havent decided what that will be yet.
You can always check out your local tool rental stores or any local hardware store that is into tool rental. Many, like this one: (Steele's True Value Hardware > Rental), have stump grinders for rent. The prices vary and I have never rented one; so I cannot give you a recommendation. Possibly the larger ones are cheaper in the long run because they get the job done fast - but I do not know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:12 AM
 
Location: Holmdel, NJ
21,025 posts, read 26,222,618 times
Reputation: 13018
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
You can always check out your local tool rental stores or any local hardware store that is into tool rental. Many, like this one: (Steele's True Value Hardware > Rental), have stump grinders for rent. The prices vary and I have never rented one; so I cannot give you a recommendation. Possibly the larger ones are cheaper in the long run because they get the job done fast - but I do not know?
renting is one of the options. home depot will rent a stump grinder for a reasonable price. but it doesnt look like they deliver and i dont have a truck for transporting it. so i guess id have to rent a truck from them and then get the 250+ pounds of the grinder on and off the truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
10,465 posts, read 8,916,540 times
Reputation: 6868
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
renting is one of the options. home depot will rent a stump grinder for a reasonable price. but it doesnt look like they deliver and i dont have a truck for transporting it. so i guess id have to rent a truck from them and then get the 250+ pounds of the grinder on and off the truck.
Try calling around to others that rent and see if any of them deliver and check their prices. Use the power of the internet.

PS Any friends with trucks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top