U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2018, 05:20 PM

13,409 posts, read 10,748,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im a fan of electric if i can get away with it. i am very happy with my worx chainsaw. i dont really mind the extension cord. i also have a small electric leaf blower that we bought for blowing leaves out of the garage.

guy at the repair place said that it will take at least a week because he is so busy servicing snow blowers. i guess lots of people preparing for the winter now. i just got a snowblower, im not entirely sure how i would get it to the place for service. there is a guy around here that comes to your house. costs a bit more but probably what ill do.
I have a little Toro electric that was given to me as a safety award many years ago. The first one blew up (https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2007/th...tile-hazards); they made defective impellers that flew apart; but they quickly sent me a new one (free of charge) that has been working fine ever since.

I have a backhoe in the shop and I have been waiting for more than a month. Now I am afraid winter will be here before I ever get a chance to run it. I was going to turn over my leaves as well as I have many stumps to pull. It is an old; but large backhoe and my bill will also be very large - I just hope that I get all the work done I have planned to justify the cost.

Good luck to you on the shop and let us know what they found.
Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM

22,919 posts, read 28,830,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I have a little Toro electric that was given to me as a safety award many years ago. The first one blew up (https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2007/th...tile-hazards); they made defective impellers that flew apart; but they quickly sent me a new one (free of charge) that has been working fine ever since.

I have a backhoe in the shop and I have been waiting for more than a month. Now I am afraid winter will be here before I ever get a chance to run it. I was going to turn over my leaves as well as I have many stumps to pull. It is an old; but large backhoe and my bill will also be very large - I just hope that I get all the work done I have planned to justify the cost.

Good luck to you on the shop and let us know what they found.
i picked up the leaf blower this morning. it looks like you hit the nail on the head with the gas tank venting. apparently the cover on the tank wasnt the one that came with the unit so it didnt vent properly. i wasnt aware of that; might have accidentally put another cover on one day (or maybe on purpose and i forgot about it). hopefully that was it and this saturday i will be back to blowing leaves like a maniac.

they charged about $45 for the part and labor.

Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM

btw, ive been using the lawn sweeper (allfithd 50") to pick up leaves. so i blow them to the middle and the drive around collecting. it has made me extremely productive. if i didnt have soft areas where i got stuck and stumps that i crash into; id be cleaning up the property really fast and easy. working with my 8 year old daughter saves a lot of time; maybe next year she can drive the tractor so i can do the harder work.

one issue i have is that we lined up these azaleas along my driveway so i dont have access to the rest of the property through the driveway. so i bought ramps to put at the street to get up but its not a very smooth transition so im bumping the crap out of it. have some parts to replace because of the beating. still, i think its a successful purchase.

im in a process of removing the stumps (or at least cutting them down to about ground level). that isnt particularly fun.

Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM

1,456 posts, read 704,098 times
Life is so complicated these days.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Razor-Ba...5200/204476216

Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
when the leaf blower wasnt working, i did some raking to move the leaves towards the middle so i can pick it up with the sweeper. it was not fun. i have to enjoy this at least a tiny bit or i would rather just hire someone to do it. maybe if it was a small postage stamp of property but its an acre and i have a lot of trees around me.

Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM

1,456 posts, read 704,098 times
Quote:
when the leaf blower wasnt working, i did some raking to move the leaves towards the middle so i can pick it up with the sweeper. it was not fun. i have to enjoy this at least a tiny bit or i would rather just hire someone to do it. maybe if it was a small postage stamp of property but its an acre and i have a lot of trees around me.
Oh, I think raking is fun. At our age, nearly 70, both my husband and I enjoy raking. It's not a real workout, no harder than sweeping a floor really--but it's nice to get outside this time of year. We have 5 acres, don't rake all of it as some of it is woods, but raking is one of our favorite fall activities. Husband has a leaf blower, but he prefers a good old rake.

Must be an old person thing.

Old Yesterday, 06:12 PM

Quote:
i picked up the leaf blower this morning. it looks like you hit the nail on the head with the gas tank venting. apparently the cover on the tank wasnt the one that came with the unit so it didnt vent properly. i wasnt aware of that; might have accidentally put another cover on one day (or maybe on purpose and i forgot about it). hopefully that was it and this saturday i will be back to blowing leaves like a maniac.

they charged about $45 for the part and labor.
Maybe we could have saved you that $45? Anyway; I'm glad that your up and running! The clogged spark arrester screen in the muffler is a problem you would have had from the time you started it originally; not something that starts acting up after you have been running for some time. But; I was waiting uncase I was wrong!

The towing and leaf bagging attachments make our work so much easier. Like I said before; I only like to use my blowers to get the leaves out from around objects that I cannot go over with the mowers. I have one tow-behind unit and all three of my tractors have bagging attachments.

As far as raking for exercise: It all depends on how much time you have, your physical condition, how much property you have and how many trees you have. What works for some will not work for others. I do not like to tell people they have to do something the exactly same way that I do it; especially when I have not been in their shoes.

Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM

7,018 posts, read 12,460,256 times
Just finished mulching my leaves today. Did it the old way with my push mower and covering up the, what my dad called, blow hole. Where I usually had 35- 40 bags of leaves, I bagged up 5 bags of mulch which my wife's cousin gladly took for his chickens to feed on.

Old Today, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Just finished mulching my leaves today. Did it the old way with my push mower and covering up the, what my dad called, blow hole. Where I usually had 35- 40 bags of leaves, I bagged up 5 bags of mulch which my wife's cousin gladly took for his chickens to feed on.
You can buy mulching lawnmower blades and some brands sell mulching kits that block off the discharge chute. Even if you do not take the time to buy either; simply mowing your leaves over and over again will mulch them. Like you said; you can really reduce the amount of leaves that you have to bag. In some cases you can mulch them so fine that you don't even have to bag them - it all depends on how many leaves you are dealing with. What you don't want left behind are mats of leaves killing the grass underneath.

We had ducks that produced a considerable pile of straw bedding that we used, with the leaves, in a very large compost pile. With five acres of leaves and the straw we would end up with over a triaxle dump truck pile of compost every year. I would mix in some lime and, when I found somebody working close with a backhoe or bobcat, I would have them 'stir' our pile. In three years I end up with great black compost that is only about one quarter or less the size of the original piles. I just bought a backhoe and when it comes back from the shop (it was a used machine that needed a lot of work) I will combine my old piles and post a picture of the huge pile of black dirt I ended up with.

Old Today, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Maybe we could have saved you that $45? Anyway; I'm glad that your up and running! The clogged spark arrester screen in the muffler is a problem you would have had from the time you started it originally; not something that starts acting up after you have been running for some time. But; I was waiting uncase I was wrong!

The towing and leaf bagging attachments make our work so much easier. Like I said before; I only like to use my blowers to get the leaves out from around objects that I cannot go over with the mowers. I have one tow-behind unit and all three of my tractors have bagging attachments.

As far as raking for exercise: It all depends on how much time you have, your physical condition, how much property you have and how many trees you have. What works for some will not work for others. I do not like to tell people they have to do something the exactly same way that I do it; especially when I have not been in their shoes.
i was looking at the "gas cap" when i was doing what you said and i was thinking that even if it wasnt venting properly; where the heck is the hole to vent for me to clear. i didnt realize that i had the wrong gas cap. so i would have had to notice on a video online or something and i never would have.

i should have time to use it on saturday. there is definitely a lot less than the last couple of weeks. trees are almost done shedding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden