U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 01:54 PM

1,095 posts, read 305,516 times

Advertisements

At my old place in New Jersey, we had a Billy Goat yard vacuum to work on just over an acre's worth of leaves each year. It worked great, even on wet leaves. Chopped them all up and sorted them into bunches that looked like tall decks of playing cards. Simply unzipped the bag and dumped it all into the compost pile. Then had to shake out the bag which on a dry day sent clouds of noxious leaf dust into the air, but no mind. The bigger problem was that it took six days of dawn to dusk work to get the job done -- three around Veterans Day, and then three more in early December. I'm just plain too old for that now, and I know the yard service has people who are still young and strong like I used to be. I'll be happy to see them and their many machines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 02:17 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,070,790 times
Blow them around on the lawn and spread them out. Wait for some rain or snow to get the leaves to stick then leave it.

The leaves will break up 2-3 months completely and becomes nice fertizer. Who cares what the grass looks like in the winter.

Old 11-01-2017, 02:26 PM

4,580 posts, read 3,464,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im thinking of buying a riding mower with a mulching attachment if that works.
something like this?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cub-Cade...LT42/205617431
$1500 buys a lot of visits from the lawn care company.

Old 11-01-2017, 02:33 PM

20,890 posts, read 25,965,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
$1500 buys a lot of visits from the lawn care company.
It buys a little more than 1.5 visits.

Old 11-01-2017, 04:10 PM

7,051 posts, read 3,916,625 times
Quote:
It buys a little more than 1.5 visits.
Exactly. I have a rider with a mulcher. Next to the remote control this is the greatest invention of the last 30 years. I grew up raking leaves and carrying them to the back. TORTURE. And at $800 a pop you would be crazy to keep doing that. And as a bonus you now have a nice rider to use all summer instead of a push mower. Finally the suggestion to just blow the leaves out and let nature dissolve them is nuts. But the time the leaves dissolve your grass will be dead. It's not totally dormant now in New Jersey.

Old 11-01-2017, 04:50 PM

57,513 posts, read 39,944,516 times
Quote:
so i got a quote for a "fall clean up" at $850+ tax. that seems very expensive to me if i am doing this type of thing a couple of times a year at 900 or so a pop. so i was thinking i could get me a riding mower of some sort that will handle the leaves. would i be able to mulch them as opposed to get rid of them? my neighbor said you just end up with billions of little leaves but i have seen videos on youtube where the lawn looks pretty clean afterwards.

what is my solution? i dont mind putting in some time but i dont really want to be raking or even blowing for hours and hours.
Not sure what size the property is or what's involved so I can't comment on the price but I will ask...

How many trees and leaves do you have? A lot?
Do you have a place to pile the leaves?
Does the price include gutter cleaning?

You're solution may be just to get a mulching mower if you don't want to leave blow BUT....

I mow them in; but make sure you don't mow too many because you will burn or suffocate the grass (leaves are acidic) even with a mulching mower. Anything extra or too many of I will pile them and it because free composting soil come Summer

Old 11-01-2017, 09:02 PM

20,890 posts, read 25,965,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Not sure what size the property is or what's involved so I can't comment on the price but I will ask...

How many trees and leaves do you have? A lot?
Do you have a place to pile the leaves?
Does the price include gutter cleaning?

You're solution may be just to get a mulching mower if you don't want to leave blow BUT....

I mow them in; but make sure you don't mow too many because you will burn or suffocate the grass (leaves are acidic) even with a mulching mower. Anything extra or too many of I will pile them and it because free composting soil come Summer
the property is almost exactly 1 acre. i have leftover mess since i moved in a few months ago and the prior homeowner didnt clean up the yard from the previous fall. im not sure how much that is factored into it, probably not a lot.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:53 AM

14,291 posts, read 16,120,504 times
Quote:
im thinking of buying a riding mower with a mulching attachment if that works.

something like this?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cub-Cade...LT42/205617431
I think you should. It can be lots of fun and relaxing mowing on a riding mower. You'd save that ridiculous 1800 year fee you've been paying too. At least you'll have something to show for the money you spend.

And, if you are enterprising, you can offer to do other neighbors yards for a fee.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:27 AM

10,368 posts, read 8,777,954 times
Quote:
the property is almost exactly 1 acre. i have leftover mess since i moved in a few months ago and the prior homeowner didnt clean up the yard from the previous fall. im not sure how much that is factored into it, probably not a lot.
We have five acres and I bag them and put them on a pile. It takes three to four years; but I have rich topsoil from all of my organic matter. But; mulching works great. Even without a mulching mower you can still mulch with rotary mowers - not that mulching attachments and blades do not make it easier. But with any rotary, push or rider, you simply keep going in a circle with the discharge chute pointing towards the middle. You just have to mow over the leaves several times. It will mulch the bulk of them. Sometimes I will mulch them that way before I bag them - I get more in my bags without stopping to dump.

Regardless if you rake, blow, bag or mulch; it is important to get rid of your leaves. Loose, dry, leaves poise a fire hazard and wet flat leaves will kill your grass.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:35 AM

4,204 posts, read 7,772,726 times
Good post 'fisheye'; however, my mulching mower doesn't have a discharge chute (Husqvarna push mower) so I need to ensure that I don't let the grass get too high. I do have a compost pile for kitchen scraps &c, plus occasionally I'll snatch a neighbors bag of clippings to feed the pile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden