U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 07:06 AM

7,262 posts, read 10,193,123 times

Advertisements

So did you ask if that 850 quote would go down in price after the place is cleaned up a bit?

I think you have to weigh what is important to you. 800 a year, assuming that covers all that leaves that drop in the fall, might be worth it to you if you (1) hate yard work, (2) don't mind yardwork but are sick of it by fall (3) are so busy in the fall that you just can't be bothered (4) have the disposable income, etc.

Otherwise a mulching blade on a mower and frequent mowings as the leaves come down will indeed turn the big leaves into little leaves. Those little leaves will work their way down between the grass blades and fade away. You can't do too much at once or it overwhelms the grass. Depending on your lawn to trees/leaves ratio you may not have to rake. I had a lawn I could mulch most of but at some point toward the end of fall the leaves just came down too hard and heavy and I had to do some raking. (I had a push mower with a bagger, it wasn't to bad. Just empty the bag on a big blue tarp and drag it)

Certainly if you plan on living there for some years the cost of the mower would be covered vs. the service.

P.S. The mulching blade is good for cutting just grass too. You don't have to bag it if you don't let it get too long before cutting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 02:15 PM

5,542 posts, read 12,008,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
That sounds sad to me. My garden wouldn't be a garden with that amazing leaf mold soil.

But I understand what you're saying.
I have a compost pile (two actually) with all the leaves becoming beautiful soil.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:01 PM

19,438 posts, read 18,548,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Years ago, I lived in a pretty ritzy neighborhood-- large trees on parkway and in yards. Everybody else employed yard services to clean their leaves, but mine was the only property that wound up with no leaves on his lawn: the wind would blow my leaves onto their lawns, but with cleaned yards up wind from me, none would blow in to replace mine.

Need to rake depends on the trees involved. Oaks, hickory, sycamore and such drop leaves that curl up even when wet. They can be left untouched and will degenerate on their own or be used as worm food-good for your lawn.

Other leaves like maple or ash tend to mat when wet and can smother your lawn-- probably best to be gathered and composted.
We had a lot of maple trees, but also magnolia and holly. Those things don't decompose easily. The neighbors had a couple of big oaks by our property line. I had very little grass, so I only had to worry about the small front lawn. Still, my little lawn was never leaf free.

Old 11-04-2017, 07:02 PM

1,054 posts, read 298,118 times
As I watch neighbors raking, sucking and bagging leaves, sometimes on hands and knees removing them from their garden beds, I just smile. The best thing one can do is mulch the leaves on the grass up with the lawnmower and allow others to pile up around trees, shrubs and perennials for mulch.

I even have the neighbor's gardeners give me several loads of lawnmower mulched leaves weekly to add more to my garden and compost pile.

Old 11-06-2017, 03:54 PM

20,910 posts, read 26,003,682 times
anyone have any input on getting a riding mower for mulching vs a push leaf vacuum thing like:

https://www.leafblowersdirect.com/Bi...uum/p7397.html

i like that the mower can do more things than the vacuum but i am thinking that maybe the vacuum will do better for what i see as my primary concern of cleaning leaves and debris off the yard.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:24 PM

20,910 posts, read 26,003,682 times
this one looks pretty nice:

https://www.drpower.com/power-equipm...or-wl2-new.axd

Old 11-06-2017, 06:26 PM

1,439 posts, read 781,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
anyone have any input on getting a riding mower for mulching vs a push leaf vacuum thing like:

https://www.leafblowersdirect.com/Bi...uum/p7397.html

i like that the mower can do more things than the vacuum but i am thinking that maybe the vacuum will do better for what i see as my primary concern of cleaning leaves and debris off the yard.

Sears.com

Old 11-07-2017, 05:15 AM

11,928 posts, read 26,987,762 times
My best mulcher is my LawnBoy push mower (does not have side shoot). My riding mower, even with the shoot plug installed, doesn't mulch as well.

It also depends on the species of tree, since some mulch better than others. Some trees like hickory, maple, and beech mulch very easily... while others like oak and magnolia are more difficult.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:24 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,055,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
My best mulcher is my LawnBoy push mower (does not have side shoot). My riding mower, even with the shoot plug installed, doesn't mulch as well.

It also depends on the species of tree, since some mulch better than others. Some trees like hickory, maple, and beech mulch very easily... while others like oak and magnolia are more difficult.
I just don't even bother trying to mulch magnolia leaves. One of the focal points of my yard is a huge Southern Magnolia that drops tons on leaves on the street-side yard where I have a lot of shrubs, so it has to be weed whacked rather than mowed. I get all the leaves from the tree blown up in the fall and bagged to toss in the trash. They're not even worth putting in the compost piles, as they just take eons to break down. They are good for making wreaths though - I have a neighbor lady who asks for branches every year to make wreaths for her church.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:30 AM

10,363 posts, read 8,798,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
For that amount of money you could be riding and have a more universal lawn 'tool'.

For the riding tractors you can buy a tow behind lawn sweep for a few hundred dollars like this one featured at Home Depot: https://www.homedepot.com/p/AllFitHD...FaK5swod4jAJZg. We have one that is now on it's last legs from our rocks and roots. But these sweepers, when used as a two person job; are very fast at leaning off a lawn. One person drives the tractor and the other person helps dump the sweeper and pitch forks the leaves into a large pile. We also have JD Z335E which does a great job picking leaves up off the grass and mulches them fairly fine. But the JD, with the bagging kit, is the dirtiest mower I have ever driven - you need googles, dust mask and hood and then you need a shower just a few minutes after bagging. I also have an Ariens with bagger attachment - that doesn't mulch as good as the JD; but it is cleaner to operate (I don't like looking like I'm working in a coal mine). We also have a little Troy Built rear engine rider with a leaf bagger - but the small bags fill too quick.

Different units perform differently. I would still prefer riding to walking when picking up our five acres of leaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden