U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 10:19 AM

20,921 posts, read 26,010,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
For that amount of money you could be riding and have a more universal lawn 'tool'.
yeah, i was doing some blowing the other day and i saw a lot of twigs, acorns and other random crap that i figure a mower isnt going to get. but i also did see those sweepers and figured i may need to get something like that.

im not in a normal situation right now since i moved in a few months ago and the last owner didnt clean up after last fall so there is an accumulated mess. after i take care of that, i should be better going forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 12:10 PM

20,921 posts, read 26,010,790 times
anyone have a zero turn mower? worth the additional expense?

Old 11-07-2017, 01:35 PM

1,659 posts, read 5,252,244 times
My parent’s yard is a couple of acres and surrounded by trees on all sides. My dad uses his riding mower and goes over the grass and leaves 🍁 driving continuously in the same direction until all leaves are blown into the woods away from their property.

Old 11-07-2017, 02:39 PM

11,928 posts, read 26,993,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I just don't even bother trying to mulch magnolia leaves. One of the focal points of my yard is a huge Southern Magnolia that drops tons on leaves on the street-side yard where I have a lot of shrubs, so it has to be weed whacked rather than mowed. I get all the leaves from the tree blown up in the fall and bagged to toss in the trash. They're not even worth putting in the compost piles, as they just take eons to break down. They are good for making wreaths though - I have a neighbor lady who asks for branches every year to make wreaths for her church.
Yeah it’s really best to leave them branched to the ground, and let the leaves stay under them. Unfortunately many of them end up “limbed up”.

Old 11-07-2017, 06:46 PM

10,374 posts, read 8,802,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
anyone have a zero turn mower? worth the additional expense?
My JD Z335e is a zero turn and with the mulching/bagging attachment; it makes me look like a coal miner. It is the dirtiest mower I have ever operated. This season I kept the bagging attachment on; I might like it better without the attachment? However, since it does do a great job mulching, I get more leaves in the bags before I have to empty them.

One thing that is a pain with bagging mowers; is trying to figure out when to dump the leaves. If you wait too long the entire chute gets packed full of leaves. While both my JD and Ariens have little pressure operated gauges on the chutes to tell the operators when to dump; I still make mistakes and dump either too soon or too late. Getting the cutes unclogged can be difficult. My JD does not like to come apart in the middle of the chute - it does; but still difficult. I keep a long stick to try to pull or push out. This 'de-clogging' operation slows down leaf pick up.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:07 AM

3,991 posts, read 5,124,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
My parent’s yard is a couple of acres and surrounded by trees on all sides. My dad uses his riding mower and goes over the grass and leaves 🍁 driving continuously in the same direction until all leaves are blown into the woods away from their property.
That kinda reminds me of one of my neighbors. They blow all their leaves into the woods on two sides of their property. The leaves are usually piled 2-3 feet high along their property boundary. They then blow back into their yard, and other people's yards all winter.

Old 11-08-2017, 03:28 PM

7,420 posts, read 7,023,597 times
Ultimately it all depends on how many leaves you actually get.

When I look outside at my lawn on a Sat Am and see there's a good scattering of leaves, but plenty of green in between, I opt to just mulch them into the lawn. usually when I'm done, the entire lawn looks mostly just like grass.

Now, If I look outside and the trees have just dumped leaves overnight and it's a pretty thick covering of leaves, then I need to rake them up first. If I mulch that in, it just chops up the leaves and still covers the grass and kills it.

I tend to go out often to chip away at it mulching it in. Last year, I put out 20-25 bags of leaves to take. This year I've done 4. The difference was last year I just waited and raked a ton of leaves. This year I just go out every 4-5 days with my mower and mulch in the leaves a bit at a time. When they start to drop more, i'll go mow more frequently.

Old 11-09-2017, 04:39 AM

10,374 posts, read 8,802,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Ultimately it all depends on how many leaves you actually get.

When I look outside at my lawn on a Sat Am and see there's a good scattering of leaves, but plenty of green in between, I opt to just mulch them into the lawn. usually when I'm done, the entire lawn looks mostly just like grass.

Now, If I look outside and the trees have just dumped leaves overnight and it's a pretty thick covering of leaves, then I need to rake them up first. If I mulch that in, it just chops up the leaves and still covers the grass and kills it.

I tend to go out often to chip away at it mulching it in. Last year, I put out 20-25 bags of leaves to take. This year I've done 4. The difference was last year I just waited and raked a ton of leaves. This year I just go out every 4-5 days with my mower and mulch in the leaves a bit at a time. When they start to drop more, i'll go mow more frequently.
That is good advice! The one thing people do not want is for their leaves to form 'mats' over your grass - that will kill their grass. The 'mats' are also hard to mulch or pick up. You have to just do a little at a time and allow the top leaves to dry out during our colder/damper Fall and Spring days.

With our five acres of trees, even when I bag most of the leaves; winter winds can pick up the remaining leaves and neighbor's and deposit them in any depression on our property. In the Spring I still have plenty of leaf mats left to mulch or bag.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:08 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,057,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Yeah it’s really best to leave them branched to the ground, and let the leaves stay under them. Unfortunately many of them end up “limbed up”.
Oh, I can't do that for sure. I've had a complaint about line of sight when pulling out into the cross street from certain neighbors. The people from VDOT showed up one morning and were only deterred from butchering the tree on the street side by my promise to get an ISA certified arborist to trim the entire tree. In fact, he just called me this morning to schedule it for the 22nd. He's going to take the bottom limbs off about 6 feet up the trunk - my lawn guy will be deliriously happy! Actually, it will make the tree look better; it has gotten way overgrown on one side, so that it looks like a giant, lopsided green mushroom.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:33 PM

10,103 posts, read 6,096,580 times
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...aves/93289772/

I haven't done any leaf blowing or raking for years unless there are fallen branches. My grass has been fine this way as long as it's not too dry.

The wind takes care of scattering the leaves and snow usually would pile up on top and causing the leaves to break down. I also get a lot of birds that would stop by and chew up the leaves leaving them into crumbs.

That's why I usually prefer fall and winter it's when I do the least amount of yard work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden