U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 04:28 AM

3,992 posts, read 5,129,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...aves/93289772/

I haven't done any leaf blowing or raking for years unless there are fallen branches. My grass has been fine this way as long as it's not too dry.

The wind takes care of scattering the leaves and snow usually would pile up on top and causing the leaves to break down. I also get a lot of birds that would stop by and chew up the leaves leaving them into crumbs.

That's why I usually prefer fall and winter it's when I do the least amount of yard work.
The article in USA Today is a good example of why I never read that newspaper or their website. It provides bad information.

Quote:
Dry, dead leaves may be unsightly to your neighbors, but they are great wildlife habitat for a slew of creatures
Seriously? If the leaves are on your grass, won't you eventually get around to mowing your lawn and killing that "slew of creatures."

Quote:
"Leaves are nature's natural mulch and fertilizer,"
Nobody here is disagreeing with this but not if you leave them lie on your grass all winter. I have one area behind my house where the wind blows the leaves and they stay trapped all winter. I then spend the spring and summer trying to get grass to grow there again. Don't try to tell me to leave the leaves alone and they will naturally fertilize the lawn.

Quote:
Leaves and yard waste take up a lot of space in landfills:
I don't remember any poster saying they did this. Many towns recycle leaves into mulch and provide it to their citizens for free. In many places it is illegal to bag your leaves and have your trash collector pick them up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 07:38 AM

21,463 posts, read 54,586,659 times
I just hit them with a lawn mower. Never had any problems. Depends on the type of leaf though. We mostly have walnut (tiny leaves) and cottonwood (leaves that disintegrate into nothing. Oak and maple leaves are more substantial. My dad has tons of both and he has to rake some of them up, then he can hit them with the mower. Otherwise the mulch debris covers the grass and kills it. Sometimes , if he is not feeling great he just hits them with the mower five or ten times. That works eventually. He is 87 and has 3 plus acres so raking it all is beyond him now.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:02 AM

4,384 posts, read 5,392,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
As I watch neighbors raking, sucking and bagging leaves, sometimes on hands and knees removing them from their garden beds, I just smile. The best thing one can do is mulch the leaves on the grass up with the lawnmower and allow others to pile up around trees, shrubs and perennials for mulch.

I even have the neighbor's gardeners give me several loads of lawnmower mulched leaves weekly to add more to my garden and compost pile.
Same here, although I haven't had a source for extra leaves since Mrs. _____ died...she would call me every year and tell me the leaves were bagged up and to come get them. Oh, the compost I made! My next-door neighbors were "vacuuming" up their leaves the other day and burning them, and it just killed my soul but it just wasn't a good day for me to get them...people are always ready to get rid of them and don't want to leave them lying around in a pile until I can get hubby to help me get them.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:22 AM

20,934 posts, read 26,031,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Seriously? If the leaves are on your grass, won't you eventually get around to mowing your lawn and killing that "slew of creatures."
oh my god this guy is murdering all of those leaf creatures!! this is horrific!

Old 11-10-2017, 01:32 PM

12,142 posts, read 39,537,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so i got a quote for a "fall clean up" at $850+ tax. that seems very expensive to me if i am doing this type of thing a couple of times a year at 900 or so a pop. so i was thinking i could get me a riding mower of some sort that will handle the leaves. would i be able to mulch them as opposed to get rid of them? my neighbor said you just end up with billions of little leaves but i have seen videos on youtube where the lawn looks pretty clean afterwards.

what is my solution? i dont mind putting in some time but i dont really want to be raking or even blowing for hours and hours.
I don't know what they will do for $850, or how large your yard is, but, to me, this is about 10X what I might remotely consider paying. And my yard is about an acre.

Have an old (Garden Way) Troy-Bilt mower, mulcher, and 3 big cottonwood trees. I mulch the leaves as they come down, catch as catch can, and they do seem to fertilize my lawn. Good thick healthy lawn, but I am not willing to do the work to bring it to "Pebble Beach" type standards. In the fall you can tell there are leaves and leaf fragments in the grass. I have been using this mower since about 1991, and the grass stays in good shape with very little added fertilizer - in fact most years no fertilizer at all.

Also have one of the old Troy-Bilt "Chipper-Vacs", it vacuums up loose leaves and makes them into mulch. This mulch I put on my garden. Interestingly, this purpose-built machine is not as quick and efficient as the mulching mower for leaves in the yard. I sometimes rake leaves up into the yard and mulch them with the mower in preference to using the chipper-vac. The chipper-vac's main failing, to me, is that the bag, although it holds about a bushel of leaf mulch, still fills up pretty quickly. That and the way it's laid out, the bag is right next to the operator, who gets very dirty with leaf dust. Glad I have it to get leaves out of my driveway, and to "manufacture" mulch for the garden, but it could be designed better.

Of course both of these machines are long out of print, you might find them used. I feel like an old guy in the 40's or 50's singing the praises of Duesenburg cars. Well, those old guys were right, price one today, although they are not a particularly practical daily driver in most environments.

But I guess my point is that mulching leaves, either directly into the grass with a mower, or mulching them into a bag of some sort to put on your garden and other places in the yard, is a practical approach for me anyway.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:13 AM

1,054 posts, read 304,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Same here, although I haven't had a source for extra leaves since Mrs. _____ died...she would call me every year and tell me the leaves were bagged up and to come get them. Oh, the compost I made! My next-door neighbors were "vacuuming" up their leaves the other day and burning them, and it just killed my soul but it just wasn't a good day for me to get them...people are always ready to get rid of them and don't want to leave them lying around in a pile until I can get hubby to help me get them.
And, most of the people cleaning up the leaves to bag or burn them, then spend a fortune on commercially produced mulch in the spring. Just amazing.

Old 11-14-2017, 03:03 PM

11,933 posts, read 27,012,822 times
Burning them isn’t all that bad, the ashes puts nutrients back into the soil if it’s spread out.

Old 11-15-2017, 03:23 AM

10,379 posts, read 8,814,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Burning them isn’t all that bad, the ashes puts nutrients back into the soil if it’s spread out.
It is a bad idea if the local zoning laws do not permit open burning or if your leaf fire sets off a forest fire. The leaf 'burner' could be held accountable for damages. Many people choose hot, dry, windy days to burn - common sense is not predictable.

It isn't only that; but lots of people suffer from asthma. There is a good chance that the smoke from your leaves will be inhaled by somebody with asthma or COPD. Good neighbors do not make other neighbors suffer.

I know that many farmers and home owners have burned leaves and fields for years. However; our Country has changed and what was good years ago is not necessarily good today.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:25 AM

504 posts, read 259,560 times
For many years while I still had a lawn, I used a Toro Super Recycler mower that chopped up the leaves into little tiny bits and dropped them back into the grass. Sometimes, I had to make two passes, but it cleaned the lawn up perfectly and the chopped up leaves provided nutrients for the lawn. Easy peasy!

Old 11-15-2017, 08:10 AM

7,798 posts, read 9,503,498 times
I’m out in the sticks, my property is loaded with mature oaks.
Needless to say but I will anyway, my property ends up with a substantial amount of leaves.
I rake and blow everything into a thin layer across the “landscaped” portion of my property(1/2 acre?) and then mow it. Works like a charm. It’s a full day, but I wait until the majority of leaves have fallen, then it’s done. One shot with a minimal spring clean up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden