U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 12:04 AM

565 posts, read 260,663 times

Advertisements

I have planted one, but decide to plant two more, not sure if it tastes good.

Where can I buy Arkansas Black Apple? I mean fruit, not tree. I want to taste it(fruit) before buying more trees. I did not find it in nearby grocery stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 05:26 AM

6,570 posts, read 8,243,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlebeH View Post
I have planted one, but decide to plant two more, not sure if it tastes good.

Where can I buy Arkansas Black Apple? I mean fruit, not tree. I want to taste it(fruit) before buying more trees. I did not find it in nearby grocery stores.
Just curious, why did you plant a fruit tree if you didn't taste it before hand? Were you simply going after foliage?

Old 11-03-2017, 09:19 AM
JRR

2,210 posts, read 1,370,912 times
We just bought some Arkansas Black apples last week. They are a crisp, tart, apple which to us, are not that great when first picked. But after they age for a while in the refrigerator, they mellow and we like them. They keep very well; we have had them last for several months in the fridge.

Old 11-03-2017, 02:29 PM

20,992 posts, read 15,464,433 times
sounds similar to winesap. I like them but they're definitely on the tangy side.

Old 11-03-2017, 03:40 PM

3,921 posts, read 2,236,178 times
I like a nice firm, tart apple and the Arkansas Black fit that description. I'd never heard of them until a trip to the Southwest USA a few years ago. They were growing at Slide Rock State Park near Sedona, AZ.

The ranger told us that those trees were over a hundred years old. So apparently, given the right conditions they are a long-lived species.

If they are good keepers it makes sense that settlers would have chosen the variety to plant.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:03 PM

18,522 posts, read 21,407,368 times
I put in an Arkansas Black apple because they are supposed to be too hard for the birds so the birds will go elsewhere.

It is not true. Birds destroyed them before they were even half grown. So I never got to taste them.

It is also not true that birds won't eat gold cherries.

OP if you have room for a couple more apples, plant different varieties. My experience is that growing conditions have such a huge influence that an apple that is good in one location will not be good in another and visa versa. If my Arkansas black had been good for me, that is no guarantee it would be good in your location.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:08 PM

18,522 posts, read 21,407,368 times
My best apple was a golden delicious. I had 2 golden delicious trees, one was good, one was outstanding... planted about 40 feet apart. That is a blah apple from the super market.

My son's best apple tree was his Gala. Wonderful off of his tree and so bad in the market that I refuse to buy them.

If you want an early apple, my Zestar was outstanding, miles better than any other early apple. Although that doesn't guarantee it would be good in your location.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:29 PM

2,021 posts, read 1,244,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
The ranger told us that those trees were over a hundred years old. So apparently, given the right conditions they are a long-lived species.

If they are good keepers it makes sense that settlers would have chosen the variety to plant.
Apparently, in Arkansas most other varieties will succumb to fire blight.

I heard a story that all the apple growers in Washington have roots in Arkansas only because they couldn't grow apples in Arkansas.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:30 PM

2,021 posts, read 1,244,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I put in an Arkansas Black apple because they are supposed to be too hard for the birds so the birds will go elsewhere.

It is not true. Birds destroyed them before they were even half grown. So I never got to taste them.

It is also not true that birds won't eat gold cherries.

OP if you have room for a couple more apples, plant different varieties. My experience is that growing conditions have such a huge influence that an apple that is good in one location will not be good in another and visa versa. If my Arkansas black had been good for me, that is no guarantee it would be good in your location.
I've also heard that cross pollination can create interesting flavors but I have no direct experience in that regard.

Old Today, 08:19 PM

4,010 posts, read 5,029,567 times
Skye Top Apples in Hendersonville, NC have the Arkansas Black. Not bad, but not my favorite either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden