U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 12:46 PM

20,999 posts, read 15,469,780 times

Advertisements

thanks for all the ideas!

unfortunately the squirrels found my stash so now I have more like 100 rather than the previous estimate of 200 :|

how those little buggers managed to get up into the bed of a pickup nearly 4 feet off the ground, i'll never know. i swear they can smell black walnuts from a good distance away. i think i will probably plant the majority in the ground in what's expected to be their permanent location, 2-3 per hole, and keep back maybe 10 to try in pots as backup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 05:13 PM

11,928 posts, read 26,981,539 times
You'll probably need to de-husk them before planting, but they are VERY messy and will turn your hands black if you don't use gloves.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:34 PM

7,337 posts, read 2,524,640 times
Under optimum conditions it will take a black walnut about 30 years to mature and be a large beautiful fruiting tree. You may get some good crops before that but I wouldn't hold my breath planting one from seed in my mid 60s and expecting too much to happen within ten years.....just saying.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:19 PM

4,597 posts, read 3,061,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
thanks for all the ideas!

unfortunately the squirrels found my stash so now I have more like 100 rather than the previous estimate of 200 :|

how those little buggers managed to get up into the bed of a pickup nearly 4 feet off the ground, i'll never know. i swear they can smell black walnuts from a good distance away. i think i will probably plant the majority in the ground in what's expected to be their permanent location, 2-3 per hole, and keep back maybe 10 to try in pots as backup.
We had a black walnut in our yard and it was the squirrels, ultimately, that led to us cutting it down (truthfully, it was diseased, but...).

Besides the 24/7 noise they'd make gnawing through the nuts, they would literally throw walnuts down on us if we dared sit nearby on our patio. We'd warn our friends and they'd be incredulous when it would happen.

Little buggers...

Old 11-06-2017, 06:23 PM

4,597 posts, read 3,061,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I don't think they grow in FL.
Yes they will, Bill.
In the northern part, Art.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:50 PM

8,564 posts, read 6,377,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Yes they will, Bill.
Never see any jill. We get hickory tree's in my area dee.

Old 11-07-2017, 05:09 AM

11,928 posts, read 26,981,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Yes they will, Bill.
They will survive here, but they look stunted. They never reach the great size found further north.

Now pecans are another story, I've got some monsters over 100' tall.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:38 AM

6,498 posts, read 9,559,543 times
Don't know why anyone would want black walnut trees....but
We have 6 surrounding our property, all over 175 years old. The walnuts and leaves drop on our deck and stain everything black. Then, there are the squirrels jumping around like rats 12 months/year. If you want to grow walnut trees, just throw some walnuts out there and let the squirrels plant them. Those nasty things carry them around and plant them all over the place. Every spring, we always have a whole yard of new walnut trees to pull up. I'm contemplating not planting tulip bulbs that I purchased. I just remembered, the last time I did that the squirrels dug up the bulbs and planted them across the street at the neighbor's house.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:48 PM

20,999 posts, read 15,469,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Don't know why anyone would want black walnut trees....but
We have 6 surrounding our property, all over 175 years old. The walnuts and leaves drop on our deck and stain everything black. Then, there are the squirrels jumping around like rats 12 months/year. If you want to grow walnut trees, just throw some walnuts out there and let the squirrels plant them. Those nasty things carry them around and plant them all over the place. Every spring, we always have a whole yard of new walnut trees to pull up. I'm contemplating not planting tulip bulbs that I purchased. I just remembered, the last time I did that the squirrels dug up the bulbs and planted them across the street at the neighbor's house.
hehe. when I used to live in Indiana I had black walnut 'volunteers' all over the place that squirrels had brought from 2 houses over and squirreled away on my property. yeah they are messy, but I like them.

Old 11-07-2017, 04:15 PM

1,626 posts, read 2,211,335 times
"Don't know why anyone would want black walnut trees....but"

This is one reason: a 22-inch diameter at breast height black walnut tree with one 8-foot veneer log may bring $510 (170 board feet x $3.00/ft), whereas a 26-inch DBH black walnut tree with one 8-foot veneer log may command $1300 (260 board feet x $5.00/ft). Not bad for a messy tree.

Granted, the OP will never realize the value of his efforts, but future generations will. Trees planted in a woodlot will be more valuable than those planted in a yard...why ? Yard trees are more apt to have nails, fence staples, bullets...these wreak havoc on veneer knives.

Plant your nuts, give your great grandkids some college tuition money.....they'll need it.

Regards
Gemstone1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden