U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 02:28 PM

20,999 posts, read 15,469,780 times

Advertisements

i am losing many oaks on my property to leaf scorch and want to replace them with trees that won't be affected by that disease, so black walnuts fit the bill. plus, i think they are awesome trees and don't care that they're messy.

i have a couple hundred black walnuts, most still in the husk, that i could either-
  1. plant now where i want them to be permanently, probably 3-4 per location (so they'd get the required vernalization over the winter and germinate in spring), hoping the squirrels don't dig them up
  2. plant now in a group or block, a few inches apart, somewhere i could protect from squirrels, then transplant at some point after they germinate.

which is the better option, and if i go with 2), when would be the best time to transplant them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 04:13 PM

4,334 posts, read 4,682,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i am losing many oaks on my property to leaf scorch and want to replace them with trees that won't be affected by that disease, so black walnuts fit the bill. plus, i think they are awesome trees and don't care that they're messy.

i have a couple hundred black walnuts, most still in the husk, that i could either-
  1. plant now where i want them to be permanently, probably 3-4 per location (so they'd get the required vernalization over the winter and germinate in spring), hoping the squirrels don't dig them up
  2. plant now in a group or block, a few inches apart, somewhere i could protect from squirrels, then transplant at some point after they germinate.
which is the better option, and if i go with 2), when would be the best time to transplant them?

I'd suggest do BOTH options and see which one produces the best results for you.

When you do (1) try make sure there are no squirrels watching you when you plant them (because they WILL investigate later if they see you busy doing something in the ground) and after planting make sure you cover the planting area over with plenty of leaves and small twigs to hide the disturbed earth. Be thorough when you hid the planting area because if the squirrels see even one teensy tiny patch of disturbed earth visible they will start digging the entire area to see what's there.

For (2) for transplanting later, I'd suggest you plant small groups of the nuts in deep buckets or pots to germinate and get started off because the seedlings are going to put down long tap roots. If you plant them straight in the ground to germinate and then dig up and transplant later you'll have no way of knowing how long the tap roots are when you go to dig them up and they're guaranteed to get broken off or damaged. However, if they're in deep pots/buckets you will already know what the tap roots' boundaries are (even if they grow in spirals at the bottoms of the pots) and there will be less risk of damaging the tap roots when you gently turn the soil and seedlings out of the pots and separate them from each other. Then you will also have a better idea ahead of time how deep to dig their permanent holes to transplant them into.

Old 11-04-2017, 05:29 AM

1,626 posts, read 2,211,335 times
You asked for the best option....plant the nut where you want the tree. As mentioned above, all nut trees have a deep and fast growing tap root....the growth will likely out grow any pot within a year of germinating. My experience with nut trees....a 6' seedling will have a 12" tap root.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 11-04-2017, 08:15 AM

1,434 posts, read 780,338 times
Black Walnut trees are REALLY messy when they start spitting out that sticky juice all over everything underneath it. So don't plant any over your house or deck or something like that...

Old 11-04-2017, 09:22 AM

2,645 posts, read 1,052,639 times
Also, make sure that you plant black walnut tress in a location where you're not going to want other, more desireable trees or shrubs, because the black walnuts will kill them.

Old 11-04-2017, 11:37 AM

13,474 posts, read 5,341,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post

How to Germinate Black Walnut Seed | Garden Guides

Old 11-05-2017, 06:15 AM

907 posts, read 299,757 times
I always wanted to be a tree farmer, but I think I'm too old to start now. What could be easier? You plant a few acorns and sit back and wait 80 yrs or so. I've always said a man who plants an acorn is thinking of his unborn great grandchildren.

If you only wanted a couple trees, I'd suggest planting 3 or 4 nuts in a group, cover the spot with a small piece of screen (for squirrel protection) and then back fill the hole.

If you're going to plant a great many of the 100s you have, then let Nature take it's course: plant them in groups and eventually thin if necessary. Fungus may claim one, a rodent another and a third to a worm. That leaves one for you.

Old 11-05-2017, 09:12 AM

3,522 posts, read 3,053,917 times
If I could dig up every one that starts in my yard, I'd let you have them. The squirrels seem to have no problem with getting them started. I find them, after several seasons, making an appearances in the most unwanted places. When they start dropping and you are still in mowing season, you may rethink your decision.

Old 11-05-2017, 09:18 AM

2,396 posts, read 1,217,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
I always wanted to be a tree farmer, but I think I'm too old to start now. What could be easier? You plant a few acorns and sit back and wait 80 yrs or so. I've always said a man who plants an acorn is thinking of his unborn great grandchildren.

If you only wanted a couple trees, I'd suggest planting 3 or 4 nuts in a group, cover the spot with a small piece of screen (for squirrel protection) and then back fill the hole.

If you're going to plant a great many of the 100s you have, then let Nature take it's course: plant them in groups and eventually thin if necessary. Fungus may claim one, a rodent another and a third to a worm. That leaves one for you.

Depends on the oak species. You're not too old.
We have oaks that grow surprisingly fast down here in the south. I'm 64, could plant some seed now, and see them tower over my head before I'm gone (hopefully)

Uggabugga
, I hope you grow those black walnuts from seed. Replenishing such a tree is a great idea.

Old 11-05-2017, 02:49 PM

8,564 posts, read 6,377,832 times
I don't think they grow in FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden