U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2017, 08:20 PM

561 posts, read 258,568 times

Advertisements

I have two different questions:

1) I have applied over seeding on existing lawn (with a few small dead spots) early fall, but it does not go well. So there is another chance of dormant seeding (between early December and snow time, my last time cleaning yard should be early December, I may put down seeds after cleaning yard last time). But if I apply dormant seeding this winter, then I should not apply Pre-M next Spring, correct? Pre-M prevents weeds, but it should also prevent grass seeds to survive. So I should choose only one of them, correct? Probably I will choose pre-M and apply over seeding next fall. It is difficult to manage lawn without applying Pre-M.

2) I also have new Lawn, the new grass is still weak. Can I apply pre-M on new lawn next year? Will pre-M kill new weak grass?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,993,228 times
Usually I only get my crabgrass in the front lawn, where the seeds blow in from other neighbors yards, so I do my Pre-emergent there in the spring.

In my back yard, i'll typically do a overseed around Labor day, and then sometime in January/Feb when there's no snow on the ground, i'll do a dormant seed. By that point the grass has gone dormant, has thinned out, and the seed can get to dirt, where snow and frostheaves push the seed in better contact with the soil. Come spring, my lawn really thickened up.

My front lawn gets the pre-emergent, so I won't dormant seed that. The Pre-emergent only prevents seeds - ALL SEEDS - from germinating. Once the seed sprouts, it does nothing and won't hurt. So if you plan to put this down come spring, don't bother.

My lawn is now well-established, so my game plan is to overseed in the fall and then pre-emergent and weed control in the spring/summer. I have a few small areas that come early spring, i'll aerate and seed. But I can mark these up and avoid all preemergent here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden