U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-05-2017, 07:21 AM
 
561 posts, read 258,568 times
Reputation: 82

Advertisements

I was thinking about planting a red maple, but I quit the idea after learning that red maple dropping tons of seeds during fall, I think it makes it difficult to clean in flower bed.

Now I am think about planting a black gum, which is also beautiful.

Questions:
1) Does black gum have the dropping seed problem?
2) Is black gum wood strong? Not easily broken by big wind?
3) What is the safety distance for a black gum tree to stay away from deck and house? What distance is considering too close to cause house foundation damage?

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-05-2017, 08:48 AM
 
Location: Virginia
2,617 posts, read 1,041,740 times
Reputation: 6655
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlebeH View Post
I was thinking about planting a red maple, but I quit the idea after learning that red maple dropping tons of seeds during fall, I think it makes it difficult to clean in flower bed.

Now I am think about planting a black gum, which is also beautiful.

Questions:
1) Does black gum have the dropping seed problem?
2) Is black gum wood strong? Not easily broken by big wind?
3) What is the safety distance for a black gum tree to stay away from deck and house? What distance is considering too close to cause house foundation damage?

Thanks.
Did you ever think about consulting a book, like the "Common Native Trees of Virginia." You can order it from the Virginia Department of Forestry and you'd have all you questions answered in one place.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2017, 04:30 PM
 
Location: Holmdel, NJ
20,890 posts, read 25,965,535 times
Reputation: 12866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Did you ever think about consulting a book, like the "Common Native Trees of Virginia." You can order it from the Virginia Department of Forestry and you'd have all you questions answered in one place.
or someone could answer his question here and he wouldnt need to buy that book
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2017, 04:57 PM
 
Location: NC
5,393 posts, read 5,700,650 times
Reputation: 10020
Hopefully we did not dissuade you from planting that beautiful maple. Although there are a lot of seedlings the actual impact on you will be small. October Glory is a nice one.

Gum trees can be messy. They typically drop a lot of dry fruits which are spherical and stick to everything making them tough to remove from the lawn and prickly to bare feet. Of course you might find a fruitless type (male, grafted). If you do, this would be an excellent choice since it is less common than maple but has great form and color.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2017, 05:28 PM
 
561 posts, read 258,568 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Hopefully we did not dissuade you from planting that beautiful maple. Although there are a lot of seedlings the actual impact on you will be small. October Glory is a nice one.

Gum trees can be messy. They typically drop a lot of dry fruits which are spherical and stick to everything making them tough to remove from the lawn and prickly to bare feet. Of course you might find a fruitless type (male, grafted). If you do, this would be an excellent choice since it is less common than maple but has great form and color.
Thanks for the information. Where to buy a male, grafted black gum? Most websites do not mention male/female.

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2017, 05:32 PM
 
Location: NC
5,393 posts, read 5,700,650 times
Reputation: 10020
You need to visit a large tree nursery in person and ask the specialists to find or order the one you need. Ask specifically for a fruitless black gum, which may also be designated as "male, grafted". If you cannot get the fruitless type, get the sugar maple.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2017, 05:36 PM
 
561 posts, read 258,568 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
You need to visit a large tree nursery in person and ask the specialists to find or order the one you need. Ask specifically for a fruitless black gum, which may also be designated as "male, grafted". If you cannot get the fruitless type, get the sugar maple.
Sugar maple does not produce fruits? Is it easy to care?

But sugar maple is a little bigger size than I prefer. Just a little bit bigger size.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2017, 06:32 PM
 
Location: Virginia
2,617 posts, read 1,041,740 times
Reputation: 6655
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
or someone could answer his question here and he wouldnt need to buy that book
True, but if he did buy that book (which is cheap, btw) he would have access to info about hundreds of native trees appropriate for his yard rather than just shotgunning questions about various trees that may or may not be what he really wants or needs. He just doesn't even seem to have the slightest idea of what would be a good tree for his yard size, soil type, light conditions, etc. (none of which conditions he has really mentioned either, btw.)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2017, 12:16 AM
 
1,265 posts, read 614,257 times
Reputation: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Hopefully we did not dissuade you from planting that beautiful maple. Although there are a lot of seedlings the actual impact on you will be small. October Glory is a nice one.

Gum trees can be messy. They typically drop a lot of dry fruits which are spherical and stick to everything making them tough to remove from the lawn and prickly to bare feet. Of course you might find a fruitless type (male, grafted). If you do, this would be an excellent choice since it is less common than maple but has great form and color.

actually no: "BLACK Gum"/Nyssa sylvatica does NOT have prickly dry fruit (that is produced by "SWEET gum"/liquidambar styracifluia a totally different tree) but instead potentially sticky fleshy-type fruits rather like small olives which CAN be a mess on decks or walks but likely NOT a problem in a lawn. I would suggest that since it is potentially a reasonably large tree at maturity that I would not plant it any closer than 20' or more from any structures especially a house so at least the leaves don't clog your rain gutters or pile up on your roof.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2017, 07:44 AM
 
Location: NC
5,393 posts, read 5,700,650 times
Reputation: 10020
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
actually no: "BLACK Gum"/Nyssa sylvatica does NOT have prickly dry fruit (that is produced by "SWEET gum"/liquidambar styracifluia a totally different tree) but instead potentially sticky fleshy-type fruits rather like small olives which CAN be a mess on decks or walks but likely NOT a problem in a lawn. I would suggest that since it is potentially a reasonably large tree at maturity that I would not plant it any closer than 20' or more from any structures especially a house so at least the leaves don't clog your rain gutters or pile up on your roof.
guilty--you are right, I confused the two
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top