U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM

5,114 posts, read 7,410,120 times

Advertisements

I received my long awaited Red Maple tree (twig) yesterday after weeks of waiting. It came in a long box with a smashed in end and the tree was broken in half. Only the roots had been wrapped. The twig itself was not.

I emailed the TN nursery immediately asking for a refund. Her answer was file a claim with the USPO to get my money back. She said I had not bought insurance at purchase which is right. So, I am out the $35 I paid for this twig ? I think this policy is wrong and I am going to contact the BBB and report this nursery. They should have wrapped the tree inside the box, and they didn't. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM

13,462 posts, read 5,331,013 times
Chalk this up to tuition.

You will - eventually - get money from the PO.

Don't order from a nursery that doesn't guarantee their plants to arrive safely. You will pay more for that, of course.

Old Yesterday, 05:10 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,234,524 times
I agree with the nursery of course you need to keep the tree and packaging to file a claim and it is usually the company that sent it to you that files the claim on your behalf.

Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM

8,819 posts, read 13,912,411 times
It is not the nursery's fault the PS broke your tree. The systems in place to deal with issues such as this are 1) insurance and 2) filing a claim with the carrier.

Old Yesterday, 08:41 PM

11,923 posts, read 26,969,858 times
Go ahead and plant it anyways, it'll likely resprout from the roots. Not sure how well red maple will grow in AZ though, that's totally different from its native environment.

FWIW, I have bought many mail order plants, and I have never received any where the whole plant was wrapped, only the root ball. Usually they'll pack it in shredded paper to cushion it however.

Old Today, 09:49 AM

5,114 posts, read 7,410,120 times
I did plant the half twig and there are many Red maples around here, including a beautiful one in my yard already. It's high desert, zone 7 a and the trees here grow easily.

I guess I will pursue this with the PO but I still think the nursery is at fault. I won't be ordering bare root again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden