U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 12:33 PM

4 posts, read 1,053 times

Advertisements

I recently purchased a home that had beautiful Eugenia hedges all around the exterior of the property that are 10ft+ tall. They were very full and healthy when I first moved in at the end of summer but since then theyíve been dramatically losing leaves and look very sickly. I stupidly didnít pay attention to what the previous watering schedule was like before setting up a new one.

What can I do to revitalize my hedges? I loved the privacy and beauty they added but Iím afraid Iím killing them fast. Initially I watered them 10 minutes a day on a drip irrigation system but was told that was way too often for mature hedges. Since then I have changed it to once a week 15 minutes. I also trimmed to let a bit more light in. It seems like nothing I do is helping them. Iíve read they are evergreen so should grow year round, especially in San Diego where I live. They certainly get plenty of light so that isnít the issue!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:28 PM

1,690 posts, read 1,063,380 times
OBmoto, running your drip system for only 15 minutes is NOT long enough. You should set them to run for 1-2 hours (depending on the dripper's flow-rate.) So, if you have a 1 ga/hr dripper, it should probably be set to run for 2 hours. Probably once a week is fine, but I don't know how hot it gets where you are in SD. As you know, some areas of SD are always cool, and other east areas are quite hot.

Also, turn the drip system on, then walk all over your property to see if you see any obvious leaks. Drip irrigation is definitely not an "install it then forget it" watering method.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden