Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 01:54 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,174,950 times

Advertisements

It is my first time to clean up garden shed since I bought the house 3 years ago. I am trying to use some extra items and get rid of them. They are taking space.

1) Sand: What is it used for? It is from previous home owner. If I cannot find a way to use it, how to get rid of it?

2) Limestone: What is it used for? It is from previous home owner. If I cannot find a way to use it, how to get rid of it?

3) Bug B Gon: I know this item, but I don't remember if I ever bought it. It is more likely from previous home owner (which means this item is likely more than 3 years old), can it still be used? How many years can this kind of stuff last?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
What are these items used for?-shed.jpg   What are these items used for?-sand.jpg   What are these items used for?-limestone.jpg   What are these items used for?-bug-b-gon.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 02:48 PM

30,431 posts, read 21,241,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlebeH View Post
It is my first time to clean up garden shed since I bought the house 3 years ago. I am trying to use some extra items and get rid of them. They are taking space.

1) Sand: What is it used for? It is from previous home owner. If I cannot find a way to use it, how to get rid of it?

2) Limestone: What is it used for? It is from previous home owner. If I cannot find a way to use it, how to get rid of it?

3) Bug B Gon: I know this item, but I don't remember if I ever bought it. It is more likely from previous home owner (which means this item is likely more than 3 years old), can it still be used? How many years can this kind of stuff last?

Thanks.
Spread the sand out in the yard or fill low spots. Same for the lime, just spread it out when in doubt. Just spray the bug spray and at least use it up. No fuss no muss gus.

Old 11-25-2017, 05:10 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
I use sand in my potting soil mix. I also sprinkle it on the sidewalks when they are icy to get traction.

Lime is used to change soil pH or to add calcium to the soil. I use it on my tomatoes to prevent blossom end rot... or rather in the soil for tomato not to dust on them.

The bug stuff I don't know anything about but directions will be on the bag.

Old 11-25-2017, 05:35 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I use sand in my potting soil mix. I also sprinkle it on the sidewalks when they are icy to get traction.

Lime is used to change soil pH or to add calcium to the soil. I use it on my tomatoes to prevent blossom end rot... or rather in the soil for tomato not to dust on them.

The bug stuff I don't know anything about but directions will be on the bag.
Same here. Lime has to be spread in the fall whereas bone meal will do the same thing and you can spread it in the spring. Lime is cheaper. Maybe they used it on the lawn but in such a small bag, it more likely was for a single plant or small area. To make the soil less acidic, sweeter. Some plants require that.

You could throw the lime around a lilac bush if you have one.

Another use for the sand would be if the soil is too heavy. For instance, if you were planting a few carrots, you'd need sandy soil because a carrot is a root and it needs to penetrate the soil. To get rid of it, just throw it around or use it on the ice.

Old 11-25-2017, 06:22 PM

50,366 posts, read 63,948,892 times
You don’t say where you live, op. My family in MA spreads lime on the lawn every year. Martha Stewart keeps a bucket of sand with oil in it and plunges her metal garden tools in it to keep them lubed and rust free. We don’t use that kind of bug killer on the lawn where I live, but obviously that’s what they use there. No clue what your first picture is.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:38 AM

30,431 posts, read 21,241,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
You don’t say where you live, op. My family in MA spreads lime on the lawn every year. Martha Stewart keeps a bucket of sand with oil in it and plunges her metal garden tools in it to keep them lubed and rust free. We don’t use that kind of bug killer on the lawn where I live, but obviously that’s what they use there. No clue what your first picture is.
It's showing his shed fred.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:40 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,247,261 times
that limestone is not enough to cause a ph change unless you dump it in a small area. It's safe to spread it around with a broadcaster along with the sand just to get rid of it.

if you care to check the PH, you can dig up some soil from various parts of your yard and take the mixed soil to the local agricultural extension office to get the ph tested.

Old 11-26-2017, 11:13 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,049,655 times
Before you do anything with the bug killer (besides dispose of it safely in a hazardous waste collection) consider the birds in your area.

Old 11-26-2017, 01:59 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,256,609 times
I’d say the previous owner was a gardener. The sand can be used to amend clay soil to allow it to drain better. It can also be mixed with potting soil to grow plants in. The limestone is used as a soil amendment as well.

The bug killer is probably still good to use.

Old 11-30-2017, 01:27 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
it appears that the sand is an "all-purpose" sand so can be used for pretty much anything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden