U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 01:19 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,180,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I find it hard to believe that you are actually comparing a 318 to any new lawn/garden tractor!
That old 318 was (and still is) twice the tractor of any tractor of any brand, IMO.
I wanted one a few years ago, but couldn't find one, so I ended up with a Craftsman mid-grade tractor with the 54 inch deck. The Vtwin engine is almost as good as the Onan in the 318. It has more horsepower, but it won't last as long. The hydrostatic transaxle is OK, but it can't be serviced like the one in the 318.
The 318 can be equipped with electric clutch PTOs, front and rear. The 318 has power steering and hydraulic deck lift.
It is simply a better tractor than any new one, with the possible exception of a small Kubota.
I did recently find a very good 318, but I did not buy it. They wanted $3500 for it!
Yes, it really is worth that much.
Or more...
but, it won't fit my budget.
I have to mow my mother's lawn every other week. Before my dad passed he bought a new JD tractor. There is still an old 318 that he bought many years ago in the garage. I just found out that he only needed a carb for it and actually found that he had purchased one and it was in his closet tucked away. When I get time I am going to install it and use it. The new tractor fine but the quality is far less that the old 318.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2017, 03:14 PM

5,158 posts, read 2,373,025 times
I did my thing today, raking the leaves from around the house and other hidden areas into the lawn, and using the X370 to clean it and the rest of the yard up one final time before winter. SOme of my initial impressions of using it for 2 hours today:

Power Steering - all I can say is are you kidding me? For 17 years I had the Snapper, and you had to steer it. The JD practically steers itself. Effortless. It took me a few minutes to get used to it as I was swerving too much applying too much effort at the beginning. I really can steer it with my finger, and maneuver so much better than the Snapper. Not a ZT, but impressive.

This thing SUCKS......SO much better than my Snapper did. It really gets so many little things the Snapper never could.

Hydraulic lift. When I purchased it, I said it had nothing to do with having a hydraulic deck lift. But boy was I stupid thinking that. I have lots of roots and other protrusions throughout my yard, and was always lifting the deck up with the lever in my Snapper. Now a simple switch and up/down it goes. Such a breeze.

I absolutely LOVE that air sound when engaging the PTO system. I have no idea why I am so enamored with it, but it's a sweet sound when those blades engage.

The seat protection switch is very sensitive. Just lean a tad too much while dodging a branch and the blades disengage. I had it in my Snapper too, but I'll have to get used to it.

I didn't have a reverse button to keep the blades engaged on the Snapper. It's another thing will just get used to, have to push the button to go in reverse without the blades shutting down.

I like the bagger system. Very easy to get at the bags, and although I did have a few chute clogs with some of the leaves, nothing close to the clogs I always had with the Snapper.

I like the LCD screen that shows the fuel level amongst other things. Nothing special, but I like it.

The JD X370 is a HUGE step-up from the Snapper. The engine is quieter than the Snapper was by a decent margin. It has better suspension thus a smoother ride, and comparing the hydro to the Snappers, smoother and much faster in reverse. Only 2 hours in, but I thoroughly enjoy this machine.

Old 12-03-2017, 03:42 PM

58,296 posts, read 40,773,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Out with the old...in with the new

Sweet!! Love pics with a post. Nice deal on it! Enjoy the new toy!

Would love to hear a report back come spring after you used it a couple times.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:48 PM

909 posts, read 318,314 times
Congrats on getting a great lawn tractor. You won’t be disappointed come spring when you’re putting it through her paces.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Congrats on getting a great lawn tractor. You won’t be disappointed come spring when you’re putting it through her paces.
It's too bad Black Friday is after Thanksgiving and I live in the Northeast. I'm glad I put her through her paces for the first time just to get "the feel". Now she'll sit until spring. I have no intention of putting a blower on her as I have a really nice Ariens (not from box store). I think my Snapper lasted 17 years because always done when dry - never rained on or wet grass. I plan on doing the same with the X370.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:33 PM

7,010 posts, read 480,778 times
You sound excited still...can't wait for spring, right???

Old 12-06-2017, 04:35 PM

12,227 posts, read 39,767,766 times
Quote:
It's too bad Black Friday is after Thanksgiving and I live in the Northeast. I'm glad I put her through her paces for the first time just to get "the feel". Now she'll sit until spring. I have no intention of putting a blower on her as I have a really nice Ariens (not from box store). I think my Snapper lasted 17 years because always done when dry - never rained on or wet grass. I plan on doing the same with the X370.
At least put some Sta-Bil in the gas, with you being in Mass, I am guessing you have a hard time finding ethanol-free gasoline - would be better if you could arrange to get pure gas and use that, particularly during winter storage. Link below shows some vendors with the "good stuff". Would not like to read you on here in spring "Damn thing will not start".

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MA

Old 12-06-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
You sound excited still...can't wait for spring, right???
Excited? I drip just thinking about it. Spring seems like eons away. I might just ride the X370 around the yard "just because".

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
At least put some Sta-Bil in the gas, with you being in Mass, I am guessing you have a hard time finding ethanol-free gasoline - would be better if you could arrange to get pure gas and use that, particularly during winter storage. Link below shows some vendors with the "good stuff". Would not like to read you on here in spring "Damn thing will not start".

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MA
Sta-bil goes in my gas when I fill up the can. As such, all of my equipment (mower, snow thrower, chain saw) always has Sta-bil in it. Marine formula. No ethanol-free around here, at least I've never found it. And I'm not paying the high priced pre-packaged ethanol-free at Home Depot.

Old Today, 02:23 PM

12,227 posts, read 39,767,766 times
Quote:
Excited? I drip just thinking about it. Spring seems like eons away. I might just ride the X370 around the yard "just because".

Sta-bil goes in my gas when I fill up the can. As such, all of my equipment (mower, snow thrower, chain saw) always has Sta-bil in it. Marine formula. No ethanol-free around here, at least I've never found it. And I'm not paying the high priced pre-packaged ethanol-free at Home Depot.
Check the link in my post. I don't know MA all that well, but, there are some vendors with ethanol free gas listed in the website the link points to. Where I am, "hooch" regular is about $2.75, I pay $3.75 for ethanol free 91 octane "clear gas".

You will be wanting a "Battery Tender" of some sort too, for the battery in the mower. These are handy to have around for cars as well.

Old Today, 05:52 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
18,403 posts, read 33,996,746 times
Yup, If you use Stabil, make SURE it is the marine grade (Blue, not red) (Walmart has it, or Amazon)

There are suddenly a lot more gas stations offering "real Gas", Nice trend... previously had to go to a Marina.

Just hoping the 1980's 318 holds out till I find a $500 JD455 (no more GAS !)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden